AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2002, 05:32 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Dual DDR

Can someone give me a lesson for dummies on this?
First, I think it's called dual band ddr(?)
I really haven't tried to keep up lately.

I assume this is somehow chipset and mobo driven, so some newer boards may implement.. Also, current DDR sticks will work in pairs... right?

Last, is this going to make a difference in real performance? I've heard both good and bad. Nvidia is coming out with this capability soon right?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.
Old 30th September, 2002, 09:37 PM

Location: USS Great Britain, aircraft carrier, moored off the northwest coast of Europe
Send a message via ICQ to Random Nonsense Send a message via Yahoo to Random Nonsense

The original Nforce could do it, just not too well. I assume Nforce 2 will have it perfected. Potentially its twice the bandwidth of DDR at the same speed

Undergoing overhaul. Hard Locking to 13.5X multiplier for theoretical clockrate of 1944mhz 144mhz FSB

1X Duron 1.3 AHCLA "9" @ 1430mhz

1X Celeron 1000mhz

1X Pentium3 450 DECEASED

Folding Under AOA-UK for team 45!

"Mothers should love their babies, because then they grow up, everyone might hate them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2002, 09:40 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

For my simple mind... would a RAID 0 hdd stripe be an appropriate analogy?
Old 30th September, 2002, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveI
For my simple mind... would a RAID 0 hdd stripe be an appropriate analogy?
Pretty similar in theory. Dual DDR will be similar in approach to Rambus or the old simm chips years ago. You will have to use them in matching pairs. It will write and read in parallel so it is hitting both modules at once, similar to your raid 0 analogy. What I have read so far seems to indicate 10 to 15% performance increase which is okay but nothing to get to worked up for if you already have P4 and DDR. Supposedly the DDR we use today will work with these boards.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2002, 12:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to BigRed Send a message via AIM to BigRed Send a message via Yahoo to BigRed

There are 2 meanings to this

There is Dual DDR: That has been explained by S_Wilson
Then there is Dual CHANNEL DDR: also known as DDR II. From my understanding there are 2 memory buses instead of one, efectivly doubling ram bandwidth. So 133mhz Dual channel DDR would come out to about pc4200, As theres 2 ddr buses.
Old 1st October, 2002, 01:21 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
There are 2 meanings to this

There is Dual DDR: That has been explained by S_Wilson
Then there is Dual CHANNEL DDR: also known as DDR II. From my understanding there are 2 memory buses instead of one, efectivly doubling ram bandwidth. So 133mhz Dual channel DDR would come out to about pc4200, As theres 2 ddr buses.
Sounds good.. If I understand you correctly, that's what I've been going by... DDR II, is new and will mean new sticks of RAM AND new mobos to implement.

Dual DDR uses DDR sticks in pairs, so current sticks (as long as they are matching pairs) are fine, but require a mobo/chipset that does dual channel. And to date, the performance gain has been disappointing..... Hey, learning through osmosis works!!
Old 1st October, 2002, 04:06 AM

Quote:

Sounds good.. If I understand you correctly, that's what I've been going by... DDR II, is new and will mean new sticks of RAM AND new mobos to implement.

Dual DDR uses DDR sticks in pairs, so current sticks (as long as they are matching pairs) are fine, but require a mobo/chipset that does dual channel. And to date, the performance gain has been disappointing..... Hey, learning through osmosis works!!
I think you pretty much got it there. Dual channel DDR will be here within months and DDR II is out a long way. If you have an Athlon or P3 then dual channel ddr sounds like the way to go and something to wait for ( if a P4 platform is your intended direction) but if you are already have a P4 ddr then it may not be so good. Depends on how much gain you want for the money.
Old 1st October, 2002, 04:37 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I think I'm alergic to P4's.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the new Nvidia chipset with Barton. Since AMDs run DDR FSB, I'm not sure what kind of benefit there would be, unless we could run async with the memory so that the FSB is running much faster than the RAM.

Might work out well with DDR2100's running 133mhz (dual), with an FSB in the 200mhz range. But this is only hypothetical.
Old 1st October, 2002, 05:02 AM

Quote:
I think I'm alergic to P4's.
I'm thinking more along the lines of the new Nvidia chipset with Barton. Since AMDs run DDR FSB, I'm not sure what kind of benefit there would be, unless we could run async with the memory so that the FSB is running much faster than the RAM.

Might work out well with DDR2100's running 133mhz (dual), with an FSB in the 200mhz range. But this is only hypothetical.
I haven't heard anything about how much bandwidth a Barton may be able to use. The current Athlons don't benefit near as much as P4's from increase of bandwidth. The P4's will take all you can give and ask for more where the Athlon falls victim to diminishing returns. The average Athlon will probably not be able to use any thing close to the theoretical bandwidth of dual channel ddr should Nvidia get a chipset working properly. Barton may change this but I don't know.
Old 1st October, 2002, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by S_Wilson
Barton may change this but I don't know.
If my reading was correct, the Barton at 166mhz will be pushing the 3gb bandwidth plateau with ease at stock speeds

Dimmreaper could probably quote the exacts as I know he's been donig his homework of late
Old 1st October, 2002, 02:24 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

If my reading was correct, the Barton at 166mhz will be pushing the 3gb bandwidth plateau with ease at stock speeds

Dimmreaper could probably quote the exacts as I know he's been donig his homework of late
At 166mhz DDR memory should also come close, so this would only seem useful to me when the FSB is clocked much higher than the ram running Dual DDR. (IMHO)