AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2002, 09:52 PM

Question My new system, your thoughts please.

I'm in the process of making a new system and would apreciate your input

Its all going in a generic full tower case I have modded for my Water Cooling project..

These are the new bit I'm basing my PC on.

XP1600+ CPU
120GB WD 8MBbuffer Hard Drive
Abit KX7-333-R Motherboard
Asus Geforce 4 Ti4200

I was initially thinking of the 1600 as they normally overclock well and cost next to nothing now days. It would also keep me going until the XP 2600+ etc conme down in price.

I was going to go for an IBM 120GB hard drive but I've read some horror stories about them so I thought WD would be a good choice.

I've always loved Abit motherboards, even though my last one was an MSI KT266 Pro2 RU (which was 100% reliable) I thought the KX7 would be a good over clocker etc.

The Asus Geforce 4 was chosen as its the best brand my local supplier carries in stock. I know its not the fastest around or the most over clockable but Asus are pretty sound generally.

So, those are my thoughts care to share yours?

Cheers,
E.
Old 30th September, 2002, 10:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to The Spyder Send a message via MSN to The Spyder

I havent been hearing good things about the abit KX7333 abit boards..... i would look into an Epox 8K3A+ or a 8k5a3+
1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 345whp. 2008 Mazda 3 Hatch
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th September, 2002, 10:43 PM

I've never tried an Epox motherboard but heard good thing about them. Can you point me towards some reviews please?

TIA.
E.
Old 30th September, 2002, 10:54 PM
Member/Contributer

You should really check out the Asus A7V333 as well..
Old 1st October, 2002, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Enigma
I've never tried an Epox motherboard but heard good thing about them. Can you point me towards some reviews please?

TIA.
E.
Be happy to:

8K5A3+
EPOX page

Review

Another review

8K3A+

EPOX page

Review

Another review
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st October, 2002, 01:16 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

If you're looking for DVD as well, pioneers are the best, quiet and fast. If you are thinking KX333, you'll need a good sound card. A good choice for you might be the Epox 8K5A2+. It has 5.1 sound, lan, and usb2, along with raid. The 3+ is good if you plan on going whole hog, and might need to use 12 (That's right twelve) drives someday.

I bought my AT7 2 stinking weeks before the 3+ was announced. Jeez, you'd think I had a clue before I splurged on a new mobo.
Old 1st October, 2002, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the links Uncle Bob

SteveI - I have a soundblaster Live 1024 at the moment. I was thinking about 5.1 as a replacement. So far the Epox looks like a winner.
Old 1st October, 2002, 11:13 AM

Your'e welcome. I must say, I am a reformed ABIT man. I can find nothing wrong with them, I've just found something that is a whole lot more reliable and overclocker friendly. Happy to share.
ASROCK: 1 * BIOSTAR: 1 * ASUS: 5 * CHAINTECH: 7 * GIGABYTE: 2 *IWILL: 1 * MSI: 3* TYAN: 2
175+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Climate Prediction Team as The Uncle B's!!
and more coming all the time!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!
Old 1st October, 2002, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob
Your'e welcome. I must say, I am a reformed ABIT man. I can find nothing wrong with them, I've just found something that is a whole lot more reliable and overclocker friendly. Happy to share.
Amen to that, though I find the fail rates on the Abit boards (the cheap capacitors) to be much higher.
Old 1st October, 2002, 07:47 PM

nice system, yes stay away from IBM drives, my bro bought a 40 gig one, died a month later. Had to RMA to netherlands and took a full month for replacement.

Check out the Epox section of the forum for more info on the boards.

What memory you sticking in it??
Go for some nice quality DDR, should compliment the Geforce4 nicely.
Old 1st October, 2002, 08:01 PM

I've got 2 X 256MB Crucial PC2100 stick to put in it from my previous system.

I've had them running a FSB of 160 on my old system, but have had them higher. My 1400 T/Bird used to crap out any higher.

I've had a look at the 1600XP's my supplier has in stock, the AGOIA Y so I guess it should overclock a fair few MHz.