AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > General Hardware Discussion

General Hardware Discussion Hard drives, CD, DVD Monitors, All hardware questions not better served by our other Topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st October, 2002, 10:31 PM
Member/Contributer

I'll probably try to e-mail them at first.

I've tried various positions, and different levels of screw tightness!

Thanks for the ideas though.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 06:43 AM
Asst. BBS Administrator

As Fujitsu has ~300,000 bad HDD's out there, I'll remove 'em from my Christmas list. AFAIK, Samsung still has 3-Year warranties. Their IDE drives are a tad slow, a little slower than Barracuda IV's. However, Samsung backs them up with three year warranties.

Next time I need a new HDD, I'll consider Samsung.
Old 2nd October, 2002, 10:25 AM
Member/Contributer

I have at least a two year warranty.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to stompah

Allan any update? Have you tried Pinky's method? Have you tried upsidedown? Have you tried holding drive in your hand while it is making noises and changing positions?

I would not hesistate to demand a refund. Just for peace of mind and also knowing that if 731 days after HD is purchased the drive fails you didnt make a bad choice now.

fsb is all that matters. fsb = life - SimJoe [H]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2002, 10:07 AM
Member/Contributer

I haven't tried the "Upside down" thing, actually. But I've held it in my hand, trying various positions and angles. Didn't try the freezer thing though.

I got an e-mail from WD though:
"Remove the hard drive from the mounting brackets and place the hard drive securely on an insulated or anti-static surface. If noise stops after the hard drive is removed from the mounting brackets, check cables for twisting, warping and insert gasket washers between the mounting brackets and drive screws.

If the noise continues you will need to replace the drive."

I should probably ghost the drive and RMA it.
Old 3rd October, 2002, 03:22 PM

If the drive drive only does it on bootup it sounds like the Boot Sector, possibly..

I would backup all data and erase the drive by writing "Zeros" to the drive. WD has a utility for this..

My old IBM 75 GXP was doing this and writing "Zeros" fixed it.. Worth a Shot??

BTW the IBM drive was fine after that and is still running to this day..
EPoX 8RGA+, XP3000+ 12x200@2400Mhz cooled by Danger Maze3 H20 setup, 2x256mb TwinMos PC 3200, WD 80GB Special Edition, Radeon 9800 Pro, Klipsch Pro Media 4.1, LiteON 48x12x48, LIAN LI PC 75USB w/Window, Antec 480w True power PSU w/Blue LED.....
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5785350
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 3rd October, 2002, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AMD Fanatic
If the drive drive only does it on bootup it sounds like the Boot Sector, possibly..

I would backup all data and erase the drive by writing "Zeros" to the drive. WD has a utility for this..

My old IBM 75 GXP was doing this and writing "Zeros" fixed it.. Worth a Shot??

BTW the IBM drive was fine after that and is still running to this day..
Maybe by writing zeros you stress the drive enough to 'burn' the drive in? Or maybe a moving part was not seated properly and the activity seated it?

Well Allan, you now have 2 things to try. The freezer and the zero trick.

goodluck

Old 4th October, 2002, 03:43 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks. This weekend I'm visiting my GF, so it won't be until Sunday I can try either thing.

Thanks a bunch for your ideas!!!
Old 4th October, 2002, 05:04 PM

Allan how is the RMA process in Europe? If it differs from country to country then how is the RMA process in Denmark? Its it relatively easy to ship back and forth? Do the manufacturers ship quickly or do they hold your item for many weeks? I always wondered this.

Old 5th October, 2002, 05:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Random Nonsense
wierd, perhaps the bearing need to be warm to be the correct size or something?
The piston crown in piston engines are approximately .030" undersized when the engine is cold, the connecting rods are approximately .010" short. It is standard mechanical engineering proceedure to design all mechanical parts so that they are the proper size when warm. However, given that harddrives operate at quite close to room temperature(compared to piston engines), I don't think this is the problem with Allan's drive. It sounds more like the motor was damaged during shipping.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 5th October, 2002, 05:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
The piston crown in piston engines are approximately .030" undersized when the engine is cold, the connecting rods are approximately .010" short. It is standard mechanical engineering proceedure to design all mechanical parts so that they are the proper size when warm. However, given that harddrives operate at quite close to room temperature(compared to piston engines), I don't think this is the problem with Allan's drive. It sounds more like the motor was damaged during shipping.
The thing is, it hasn't been shipped. I picked it up at a HW store, and it worked fine at first. Then suddenly it started making the rattling noises. I think its weird.

As for RMA, I think the quickest would be to RMA it at the store. They will prolly just give me another unit.