AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Well, this can't be good. My Voltages are all whacked...Help. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/11523-well-cant-good-my-voltages-all.html)

mjolnir2k 1st December, 2002 12:40 AM

Well, this can't be good. My Voltages are all whacked...Help.

Hmmm, I was going to try some OC'ing but before I got started I DL'ed MBM 5 to check my voltages. Here's the readings I am getting.

+3.3 = 1.57
+5.0 = 4.95
+12.00 = 12.16
-12.00 = 2.12
-5.0 = .43 (yup, point four three....)

What is the deal here? Is MBM not reading correctly or is my PSU going bad?

Uncle Bob 1st December, 2002 01:51 AM

It's probably not your PSU. Here is a thread from the creator of MBM:
Quote:

My Voltages are way off
MBM tries to stick to the datasheets of the sensor chips, however board makers do not do this, this will lead to the situation that mbm will read a voltage line thinking it's the 3.3 line while it might be the +5 line and you get very confusing values.

For that reason you can select a sub voltage on the voltage tab of MBM, try to see of any of those give you a better match.

-Alex
Here is the FAQ's for MBM. If you are having trouble, I suggest you try measuring at the molex connector with a good voltmeter. The outside wires on either end are the 12 or 5 volt lines and the inside are the negative respectively.
HTH!:)

mjolnir2k 1st December, 2002 03:33 AM

Ok, here's what my BIOS says:

VIO=3.31
VCORE=1.76
VDIMM=2.59
VAGP=1.56
VBAT=3.10
12V=12.22
5VSB=5.51

Now I am just wondering what correlates? Is this about right?

Uncle Bob 1st December, 2002 05:43 AM

That looks good. You have to remember that in the BIOS, none of the rails are being drawn, so voltages will be lower when the CPU, drives etc. are drawing current. To get real voltages use a volt meter. If you can try different sources in MBM till you get 4. something you will be reading the correct 5 volt as MBM reads it. A meter is always the most accurate.

S_Wilson 1st December, 2002 06:08 AM

In MBM you sometimes have to change to voltage configuration from what it detects. On the settings page click voltages and see what your options are for configuration, play with it a bit and see if you get something more realistic. I have not used your board so I can not tell specifically but I have used MBM for a long time and can tell that sometimes you need to work with it a bit. Good luck.

mjolnir2k 1st December, 2002 03:59 PM

Thanks all for the great info. I tink I am all squared away now. seems to have been an issue of MBM not reading correctly. Phew!

Uncle Bob 1st December, 2002 04:03 PM

Glad to hear it! I kinda suspected so. I think if your oroginal readings had been correct you would have not been up and running. The readings were just too far out of spec!

Hamzter 1st December, 2002 06:26 PM

Lol, I just looked at my voltages in MBM and my 12v line is 13.17!! Should I be worried, or is this an error?

Uncle Bob 1st December, 2002 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hamzter
Lol, I just looked at my voltages in MBM and my 12v line is 13.17!! Should I be worried, or is this an error?
I'd try another source for the voltage and see. Yes, that does sound wrong. I doubt it really is running that high. Do you have a voltage tester?