AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Shuttle or laptop (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/24239-shuttle-or-laptop.html)

graftonater 28th April, 2004 08:45 PM

Shuttle or laptop

i am wanting a portable system for uni and am really stcuk as to what to do, laptop will be less powerfull and more expensive, but a shuttle i wont be able to take to lectures.....unless any1 else knows of a really nice small screen i can get for it or a way to make it portable.....advice is MUCh appreciated :)

-thanx

Daniel ~ 28th April, 2004 08:55 PM

I have neither, that said, how many Shuttles do you see in the classroom? "Usually" when in doubt, your best off running with the bulls rather than striking out on your own.

graftonater 28th April, 2004 09:16 PM

ah that much is true but you got any advice if i am looking for one which could handle high end gaming performence ;)

Pitch 28th April, 2004 09:52 PM

I have a laptop that I use every day for school, but for gaming, your probably better looking at a Shuttle. You have far more flexibility for upgrades with it.

Daniel ~ 28th April, 2004 10:31 PM

Regrettably I fear you must set a priority. Class work in usually much less demanding and needs to be portable.

Gaming needs raw power and has less of a requirement for portability. I would think the Shuttle would serve your gaming needs much better/cheaper and as Pitch mentioned is far more upgradeable.

graftonater 28th April, 2004 10:33 PM

hehe yeah i know that but i ma looking for a amd64 based laptop with at least 9600 portable gfx if not 9700 pro :P just want a really fast laptop (i am bit of enthusiaast plus nice money from job to waste :P) just need to knwo where to get a good one from in uk....only place i can find so far with 64 bits is ebuyer and they only have 3 ! :(

Aedan 28th April, 2004 11:16 PM

You wouldn't be able to make the Shuttle battery powered, unless you wanted to lug a car battery around with you.

If you want a machine you can take to lectures or other areas in a hurry, you don't have a choice but to go for the laptop. In terms of graphical power, the more powerful the graphics, the less battery life you'll get from it on battery. Even with a relatively low power graphics card, getting more than an hours worth of battery life whilst playing something intensive is pretty hard.

In terms of mobile graphics, ATI don't do anything above the Mobility Radeon 9700. Laptop batteries just can't handle the extra current drain required by high performance graphics. A typical laptop power budget is less than 20W of power on average, including the screen. Try getting a Radeon 9700 pro to run on 20W on it's own!

RussianMissile1 29th April, 2004 03:20 AM

I'm also going to college in the fall. Im looking into a cheap $800-$900 laptop to take lecture notes and type essays and also a shuttle for gaming and folding. im considering this shuttle right now: http://www.directron.com/sn45g.html , but im not goign to buy until maybe august.

Daniel ~ 29th April, 2004 03:47 AM

Waiting always brings a price advantage! At lest in computers! ":O}

scottman 29th April, 2004 05:52 AM

yea get both cheap laptop and and good shuttle :)

danrok 29th April, 2004 09:16 PM

I agree with scottman, just buy some old second-hand cheap laptop for taking notes in class and a nice new shuttle.

Aedan 29th April, 2004 10:05 PM

I'd say that if you're dependant on the laptop, don't go for a cheap one. Go for something with a next day on-site warrenty. Manufacturers like IBM and Dell are capable of providing next day on-site service (both parts AND engineer) to get your machine back up and running quickly. My exerience with laptops has generally demonstrated that for near mission critical things such a warrenty is probably essential.

Daniel ~ 29th April, 2004 10:25 PM

How many term papers can you afford to lose? ":O}

danrok 29th April, 2004 10:33 PM

All work should be transferred to your main PC from your laptop everyday, regardless of the quality of the laptop. The warranty won't cover theft. If you buy a $2000 laptop get insurance for it.

Aedan 29th April, 2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok
If you buy a $2000 laptop get insurance for it.

Both backup and insurance are essential. However, I'd suggest thinking about backingup to something other than the main machine. There's nothing like having some dodgy friend of a housemate walk off with both your laptop AND your main machine at the same time to screw your work up.

Tutors don't seem to be very friendly about work being handed in late due to hardware failure/loss. At least, not the ones I know of.