AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Hard drives (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/24507-hard-drives.html)

Toro 17th May, 2004 05:47 PM

Hard drives

eh up.

I am considering upgrading my recently upgraded PC. Just some new hard drives... probably a cheeky S-ATA drive or 2... I'm just wondering what people reckon are the best manufacturers.... and where to get best prices (of course). I have never really had any problems with hard disks... touch wood.......

Rain_of_Fire 18th May, 2004 09:58 AM

I've never had any problems with Maxtor, a good all round drive....

I have a Maxtor 9GB IDE (about 5 yrs old and still going strong), a Maxtor 80GB IDE and a Maxtor 120GB SATA.

For prices, I suggest going to a price comparison website, this should give you the cheapest there is. IF you are based in UK, I recommed ebuyer.

Staz 23rd May, 2004 04:14 AM

Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate are all good brands. You will find praise and horor stories for all three brands. If you were in the US I would tell you to check pricegrabber.com .

Gizmo 23rd May, 2004 04:35 AM

I've never had anything but problems with the Seagate Medalist drives. The Barracudas and Cheetahs, though, are solid gold.

Toro 8th June, 2004 02:59 PM

is it possible to use old IDE drives with SATA in place? so i can do a some more cheeky copying? is it just crazy talk?

SteveI 8th June, 2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toro
is it possible to use old IDE drives with SATA in place? so i can do a some more cheeky copying? is it just crazy talk?

Yes, with most drives, and most adaptors. Some adaptors are only officially compatible with ATA100/ATA133. This things usually run $20-30, so it's not a great way to get value.

Toro 8th June, 2004 05:12 PM

aye, its just to copy some files over, then i'll probably ditch the IDE...really need to get round to ordering some up though!

man im hungry, looking forward to last break to get some pizza or some indian carry out... cant decide which, problems, problems

Cerium 11th June, 2004 06:20 AM

I have a sati and it works well. really hot cable. it is so thin but you have to be careful cuz they unplug rather easlily. And i like seagate. I dont knoow why but i like them but a good deal on a maxtor could sway me - they dot have as nice an appearance.

Aedan 11th June, 2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerium
it is so thin but you have to be careful cuz they unplug rather easlily.

This is the thing that really annoys me about SATA - the connectors are not exactly the best for staying connected! That's rather an important thing when you're talking hard disks. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?

Cerium 11th June, 2004 02:49 PM

thats what i was thinking. I opend my case to clean it and take a look at the messy cables when i accidently bumped it and ended up scaring myself.

piccoLEW 11th June, 2004 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?

probably some silly reason about patents or backwards compatability.
Why not try and patent the idea yourself :D

Gizmo 11th June, 2004 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Áedán
This is the thing that really annoys me about SATA - the connectors are not exactly the best for staying connected! That's rather an important thing when you're talking hard disks. How come they didn't put some kind of locking mechanism on the connector?

Because it was designed by a committee, not by people who actually try to use stuff.

Toro 11th June, 2004 09:03 PM

all hail the committee!

hail the committee
hail the commit......

ok i'll get me coat.....