AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Netserver storage unit (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/28614-netserver-storage-unit.html)

Samuknow 24th December, 2004 08:57 PM

Netserver storage unit

2 Attachment(s)
Hey,

I picked up a HP netserver setup for a great price.....FREE...

Basically the CPU unit is crap..uh junk.

I am more interested in the SCSI controller in it and the Storage System that came with it. It is a netserver storage system/6 It has 2 4.0Gig Ultra2 and 3 9.0Gig Ultra2 drives in it as well as 2 powersupplies. What I am thinking is to install the Scsi card in my main rig and run the storage unit from there. One problem, well probably a few others that I have not thought of yet but anyway. I do not have the cable that goes from the back of the card to the back of the drive unit. Not sure what it actually is. I did a search and there are a boat load of cables out the to choose from. Can someone point me in the right direction? And possible think of any issues I might run into doing this...

Thanks

Gizmo 24th December, 2004 09:52 PM

Last I knew, the HP Netservers used an OEM version of the Mylex DAC960-PG controller. So, you should be able to use a standard U2 SCSI cable to connect to the drive bay. Can you give me a picture of the controller and a picture of the connector on the drive bay?

Samuknow 24th December, 2004 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok let's see what I can give you....I took pics of the back of the cpu unit as well as the storage unit. the cable is supposed to come from the controller card pic 1 to the storage unit pic 2.

Samuknow 24th December, 2004 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Basically the storage unit has a passthrough to the drive backplane.

Gizmo 24th December, 2004 10:11 PM

Looks like what you need is a VHDI-SCSI2 connector. The VHDI is the connector used by Ultra-2 controllers for external interfaces, and is Wide Ultra-2. Unfortunately, the other connector is a 50-pin narrow SCSI-2 connector, which is typically used for external SCSI CD-ROM and Tape drives.

Samuknow 24th December, 2004 10:15 PM

The ends are difinatly different from each other. Well now I feel really dumb. I just looked and realized the card is an ISA.....I guess I can come up with a SCSI card that is PCI. The backplace also has a 50 pin connector on it next to the other cable. I can probably just get a long 50 pin cable and card and go that route.....Ya think..??

Gizmo 24th December, 2004 10:21 PM

?!!!

It's an ISA?! Oh geez. Are you sure? I don't know of any Utra-2 cards that were ISA. Come to think of it, I don't know of any Utra-Scsi cards that were ISA, either. The fastest ISA card I've ever seen was SCSI-2.

I don't think you can just daisy-chain off the back of the drive bay unless you mess with the termination. I don't know enough about the configuration of your system to know if that would be a problem or not.

Samuknow 24th December, 2004 10:41 PM

I will post some more pics later. We are going to the in-laws for Christmas Eve....