AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   No longer able to backup dvds.. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/29665-no-longer-able-to-backup-dvds.html)

Nate-X 26th February, 2005 11:06 PM

No longer able to backup dvds..

I had to rebuild my machine after my 8rda3+ crapping the bed.. I now have an 8rda3+pro w/ the ide drivers from the 4.27 nforce package.. I have been able to backup data to dvd's but can't back up my dvd's anymore.. it goes through the whole writing process but when I put the dvd in it, there isn't anything on it and it won't play in my dvd player. I know the burner still works for backups because I had it in an older machine and it worked just fine. I'm using DVD Decryper & DVD Shrink.. with the latest version of Nero.

I've tried backing up 2 different movies and even one I backed up before but they all didn't work :( just wound up with six coasters :(. I was using the default Windows XP SP2 IDE drivers before the 4.27 ones if that makes a difference.

GrahamGarside 26th February, 2005 11:53 PM

The newer version of nero is likely to be the cause, unless you've updated your drives firmware, or your using differant media than last time

SteveI 26th February, 2005 11:55 PM

My main rig doesn't have SP2 because of dvd burning issues. I don't use nero. DVDD & DVDS should be enough.

What burner are you using? also, what blanks?
Do you stick labels on your DVDs?

Nate-X 27th February, 2005 12:16 AM

I'm using 4x dvd+r ridata's.. burned a ton without any troubles so far... DVD Shrink actually uses nero to copy the dvd's. Only reason I'm using service pack 2 is because I was having troubles on this system without it.. with a slipstreamed service pack 1a XP install the machine would get to the Windows XP boot screen and I'd hear the hard drive turning but the machine would never get past the Windows XP screen :(

This is the drive I'm using.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...82-025R&depa=0

I've used labels in the past.. but I haven't for these last few backups.

GrahamGarside 27th February, 2005 12:23 AM

I think its usualy better to use dvd-r's for video's
I use nero for dvd video's usually but I have noticed a load I've done recentally take ages to start up for some reason, and I'm not sure if it's down to the newer version of nero I'm using or me changing to an LG writer from my NEC one

Nate-X 27th February, 2005 01:02 AM

I mainly got these dvd+r's from the 300+ positive reviews people gave on the newegg site for them hehe. :) I have had 0 problems with videos before tonight.. Hopefully it's just a newer nero problem and not a service pack 2 issue since I don't wish to redo this machine again!!! :(

I put the burner in my old machine.. and it's backing up without a hitch hehe.. I'm actually getting low on dvd's so had to buy another 100pack tonight! I did get some free dvd-r's from newegg though so I'll have to give those a try too and see how they do.

Nate-X 27th February, 2005 07:50 PM

Bah.. all the data dvd's I made earlier are dead too :( even though the files were on them I got errors everytime I tried to open any of the files.. poopy.

Re-doing my machine now.. no slipstreamed installs.. just XP, then SP1A I'll let you know if it fixes the dvd issues.

woodeirl 27th February, 2005 08:25 PM

well natz how are you after fairing out with the DVD probs

Nate-X 27th February, 2005 09:22 PM

Not sure yet.. need to re-download all my drivers.. and don't have access to the system atm.. hehe had been setting up in the bedroom and wife is taking a nap bleargh! Should know by tonight or tomorrow.

woodeirl 27th February, 2005 09:33 PM

:)

Nate-X 28th February, 2005 01:34 AM

Well, made a playable backup of monsters, inc earlier so it seems to be working. Using a standard install of xp, then installed service pack 1a and the nforce 5.10 drivers.

Correction.. the movie seems to be playing but the picture is 'glitching' every now and then.. like if you have cable and the picture starts to go out.. not sure if the dvd was dirty when I copied or not.. trying another one.

SteveI 28th February, 2005 02:11 AM

Can your burner run error tests in Nero?
Some can do PI/PIF tests to let you know how good the burn went. With a recent build, you have to be careful troubleshooting. Are your glitches on the set top DVD player, or on your PC?

Nate-X 28th February, 2005 02:41 AM

The little 'glitches' are when I'm watching the movie on the dvd player connected to my tv. I'm trying to back up another movie of mine to see if it's just the one movie or something else I need to work on for my system.

Bah.. 2nd movie to backup.. same little glitches.. dammit to hades! :( I did burn them at 8x on 4x media (though I have been for sometime)... will try and burn at a slower speed I guess :(