AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Generic DVD-R's. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/33921-generic-dvd-rs.html)

Chesso 9th November, 2005 10:54 AM

Generic DVD-R's.

I got like a ton of these blank errr blank dvd-r's(brandless) and the last time or two i remember burning stuff to them i got CRC error's trying to get the stuff of it.

Unfortunately these are all i have left and i really need to get some stuff off disk, maybe i should burn at a lower speed or sumfin?

noob 9th November, 2005 10:59 AM

burn them as low a speed as you can bear,

some of the worst CD's still turn out fine when burnt at low speeds

Aedan 9th November, 2005 12:25 PM

I've had too many problems with "generic DVD-Rs" that result in the media becoming unreadable over time (time can be anything from two days to a few months). Personally, I'd ditch them and get something better.

Chesso 9th November, 2005 01:04 PM

Heh heh well begger's can't be chooser's, until i find my poor arse a job im stuck to deal with what i have at hand.

Aedan 9th November, 2005 01:29 PM

If they're anything like the ones I had, expect them to lose data written to them whatever speed you write to them at.

danrok 9th November, 2005 02:12 PM

Cheap optical media is a waste of money, no matter how cheap it is.

madcatmk3 9th November, 2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrok
Cheap optical media is a waste of money, no matter how cheap it is.

Free ones make good paper weights. :D

fearless joe 9th November, 2005 10:26 PM

www.ukdvdr.co.uk is worth a look for any uk people here,

but agreed i wonce bought 100 blank re-writable cds for a tenner, thinking it was worth the risk, dont get me rong they work fine, but they only write a 4 speed, which is a pain in the a**

Chesso 10th November, 2005 12:25 AM

Ahh well speed isn't a worry for me it's just space atm, as long these disks last awhile until i can get ahold of some better quality ones, especially seen as i need some that will last.

Kaitain 10th November, 2005 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcatmk3
Free ones make good paper weights. :D

I use 'em and AOL intro CDs as gun targets. They're fun :D

noob 10th November, 2005 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain

True they work just like clay birds.

Infact in NZ we had an add, where the parents of a wayward teenager, who had bad taste (according to the parents) in music. The parents confiscated the CD's, then proceded to use them as clay birds :rolling:

Toro 10th November, 2005 10:20 AM

had to think what a clay bird was there... then I realised you mean clay pigeons ;)

I don't seem to get any AOL cds thankfully :) but I do enjoy snaping them, and making interesting mobiles with them :)

madcatmk3 10th November, 2005 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitain

AOL disks go directly to my paintball range. it's the mini dvd I use for paper waites.

SteveI 10th November, 2005 11:55 PM

Actually, I have to disagree.

Cheap generic DVDs, even free, are not worth it. Not all, but many generics are unusable, and unreliable. The only data that should go on them is data that is unimportant.

In other words, they are more trouble than they are worth. Even if they appear to work fine, they often have a short shelf life, going unreadable within a few months... Not all, but some..

It takes some effort to burn DVDs, and is a waste of time, money and patience if after a while even 1 in 5 go bad.

noob 11th November, 2005 12:26 AM

True in 99% of cases. There is a shop which uses 'generic' DVD's, they are unbranded 'OEM' ones, I think they are 'Sony' DVD's
I get these for $65NZ per 100 (say around $35US). Neither me or a friend have had one fail yet, and we have burnt 5 or 6 hundred! Nothing illegal (well almost nothing), mostly digital photos, and old photos scanned into the computer. Some are over 1 year old, and just as good as new. Just to test, as I don't want photos dissapparing on me (I have more than one copy and on more than one type of media), I stuck one outside in the garden - I'm sure you have all heard of the fungus that eats CD's / DVD's? - After 3 months, a clean up, and polish - not a single problem, even with many shallow scratches. These were burnt on the DVD burner in my sig, at lowest setting for quality of the data

Chesso 11th November, 2005 12:31 AM

Nice :thumbsup:

SteveI 11th November, 2005 01:31 AM

@noob... to me $35 per 100 aren't generic.

I only buy Taiyo Yuden disks. They come without fancy packaging, which I refer to as OEM... original equipment manufacturer. I pay about $35 per 100, and they are the best media I have ever used.

Generic is bargain basement stuff where the actual maker is a no name, hence generic. Pricing on them typically would be about 1/2 the good stuff, no more than $15-20.

Your sony's are high quality OEM.... I've used them and like them (D01 I think), definitely NOT generic, unless they are actually faked MIDs which it doesn't sound like

Think about your logic. How can anything manufactured by Sony be called generic?

noob 11th November, 2005 02:08 AM

The shop labels them as 'generic'
They are completly unmarked DVD's, no writing on them. When I researched into where they come from, basically I'm 90% sure they are Sony, and if not Sony then they are Philips.

In NZ they are about the cheapest DVD's that can be bought. Most go for $1NZ+ per DVD - The branded Sony DVD's go for about $140NZ per 100

DVD9 are about $10NZ+ each

hoinar 11th November, 2005 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI
Think about your logic. How can anything manufactured by Sony be called generic?

:eek: :rolleyes:

madcatmk3 11th November, 2005 04:14 PM

memorex= $7 for 30