AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   2.5TB hard drives for 2009 (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/38226-2-5tb-hard-drives-for-2009-a.html)

danrok 16th September, 2006 04:03 PM

2.5TB hard drives for 2009

From the front page:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/content/view/1187/2/

Comments?

Gizmo 16th September, 2006 04:14 PM

Errr.........how much bigger do we need hard drives to be? :confused:

Anybody here remember the days when 90 KiB on a 5 1/4" floppy was a big deal? LOL

danrok 16th September, 2006 04:53 PM

There was no KiB back then! :P :rolling:

Daniel ~ 16th September, 2006 07:26 PM

I remember big ones and little one's, niether were my friends...":O} OH! I remember shoving around 25 of 'em in one after another to install Windows

Gizmo 16th September, 2006 10:39 PM

I thought Windows 3.1 came on 10? Oh wait, that was 3.5" floppies....

Daniel ~ 17th September, 2006 10:31 PM

Numbers I'm unsure of, but "Windoze" took up half my floppyDisk rack! ":O}

danrok 18th September, 2006 12:02 AM

You know that most of them were blank. Bill just wanted to ensure his competitors couldn't buy enough floppies for their software! :D

Daniel ~ 18th September, 2006 07:49 PM

He also saw to it that I couldn't offord to buy the software they couldn't get floppys for. He's The Devil I tell ya! LOL

noob 19th September, 2006 02:09 AM

2.5TB,
far cry from the 8inch 80kB disks I remember playing with at dads work (and getting in trouble for it), they had some old server that is now probably in a museum

Zinoberrot 19th September, 2006 03:02 AM

Hey guys, it's not 2009 yet. Let it first come out...

Daniel ~ 19th September, 2006 06:41 AM

Sir, It is our collective belief that we must drool and salivate over a part in order to ease and lubricate it's passage into the world....

Rondog 19th September, 2006 07:42 AM

How much bigger? Huge. :)

aghastpumpkin 19th September, 2006 04:29 PM

How can one fill that space?

Before the days of 120GB HDDs and bigger we knew we needed space for music and videos and photos.
We knew we needed space for games.
But seriously - you'd need literally millions of pictures/mp3s/videos to take up that space........
I can't forsee the neeD?

danrok 19th September, 2006 04:46 PM

A major flaw with filling large drives with photos and videos, is that most home users who do this have no BACK-UP! It is a very bad habbit.

Most would be better off just burning their media straight to CD, DVD or whatever. Perhaps making two copies, one for use and the other for safe storage.

A hard disk should been seen as your workspace, i.e. for applications and files which you need to use "today". They are no good for use as an archive, given that they are mechanical and will wear out and breakdown.

skool h8r 19th September, 2006 05:53 PM

2.5TB, that's nowt, wait until we have 10XB (XennaByte) drives, that's like 4000 larger (at least, it may be 40000 or even 400000 times larger).

Still, very handy for the extremely addicted gamers but the seek time on these things is gonna be into the seconds, rather than ms. There's 63 sectors of each cylinder (i think that's right), ther's also a limit to how many cylinders you can fit on a disc which is why there is more than one in larger drives. So it's gonna have high seek time which will be it's achilles heal IMO.

EDIT: I just realised i'm a komodo now, maybe it should say commador though :D

Daniel ~ 19th September, 2006 06:46 PM

You can say commador, but you have to think Komodo.":O}

Gizmo 19th September, 2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skool h8r
Still, very handy for the extremely addicted gamers but the seek time on these things is gonna be into the seconds, rather than ms. There's 63 sectors of each cylinder (i think that's right), ther's also a limit to how many cylinders you can fit on a disc which is why there is more than one in larger drives. So it's gonna have high seek time which will be it's achilles heal IMO.

Actually, no.

The seek time is predominantly determined by two things: How fast the disk rotates, and how fast you can move the heads.

All other things being equal, a 3.5" disk will have a faster seek than a 5 1/4" disk, because the physical distance that has to be traversed by the head is smaller. It doesn't matter that our current crop of 3.5" disks have 750 GiB of storage, where our old 5.25" disks had only 90 MiB of storage; what matters is that there was physically more distance to travel to get at the data on the 5.25" disks than on the 3.5" disks.

madcatmk3 20th September, 2006 09:19 PM

well find someway to fill them, thing is were getting better at compression so it's growing out of need. no average uses gets close to fill a 250gib. even if they download "movies"

Daniel ~ 21st September, 2006 03:10 AM

But who hasn't said to themselves, "Well at less it's there..."

This "At lest" seems to sell hard drives! ":O}

Necorum 21st September, 2006 11:42 AM

I could use two 2.5& drives lol my two 300 gig hard drives are way full like 27% left on one and 30 something on the other.

160 gigs of music mp3 format ( 128-256 )
and anime oh the anime then movies and then all my "backups" of my games ( and yes they are on cd also but its so much easier when you have organized folders with easy access to everything [ games --> rpg ,fps ,or strategy --> games folder --> iso ] same formula for mp3's )

im about to go pick up a 750 gig when i can.:drink: :drink: