AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Toshiba's New Angle: Our HD DVD Players Are Also Great DVD Upscalers (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/44122-toshibas-new-angle-our-hd-dvd.html)

Daniel ~ 17th January, 2008 06:39 PM

Toshiba's New Angle: Our HD DVD Players Are Also Great DVD Upscalers
 
Written by Daniel
Thursday, 17 January 2008

Toshiba slashes prices on HD DVD players and launches campaign targeting SD DVD owners
Marcus Yam (Blog) - January 14, 2008 8:42 PM
DailyTech

Seemingly resolute in its cause, Toshiba announced today new pricing and marketing strategies for HD DVD.... Front Page

danrok 17th January, 2008 06:55 PM

I can't help but think that Toshiba are going to do their reputation a lot of harm, if they push HD-DVD players on to people.

I mean, I'd be pretty miffed if I bought one only to find out that the selection of movies is much more limited than Blu-ray, Blockbusters don't do HD-DVD, etc.

Daniel ~ 17th January, 2008 09:46 PM

I "Think" they are pushing them as DVD players that upscale..or trying to...Rather than as the HD DVD format...But we both know what retailers will do in any situation where the customer grows confused...

danrok 17th January, 2008 10:01 PM

Sounds like they're resorting to market stall trader tactics!

Daniel ~ 17th January, 2008 10:13 PM

They had a lot riding on this one, lot's of upside down smiles over there right now,
They maybe scrambling for cover on this...all that R&D money...ouch!

HellasVagabond 19th January, 2008 02:24 PM

As long Universal and Paramount stay with HD-DVD nothing is over.
And if they dont switch sides then you can rest assured that other companies will switch from Blu-ray to HD-DVD. Blu-ray as a format has numerous problems in the manufacturing procedure.
Either way time will tell.

danrok 19th January, 2008 04:24 PM

What manufacturing problems would those be?

HellasVagabond 19th January, 2008 06:38 PM

Do a google search for "blu-ray disc manufacturing problems" and you will see.

danrok 19th January, 2008 06:44 PM

I can only find very trivial problems, which you would expect with any completely new manufacturing process. There's no shortage of discs on shop shelves.

HD-DVD is just an upgrade of old DVD reproduction equipment, so fewer issues would be expected there.

Millions of games have been sold on BD, and I'm not seeing an angry mob anywhere.

HellasVagabond 19th January, 2008 08:10 PM

Either way the problems were so many that FOX wanted out....I just cant approve of Sony paying FOX in order to stay with BD.

Gizmo 19th January, 2008 09:33 PM

Is that any different than HD-DVD paying Paramount $150 million? I fail to see the difference; if one is ok, so is the other.

In principle, I'll agree that neither party should be 'buying' studios, but if we are going to be critical of certain behavior, let's at least be honest about it.

Daniel ~ 19th January, 2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasVagabond (Post 467563)
Do a google search for "blu-ray disc manufacturing problems" and you will see.

That's not quite how we work it here. Here when one makes a claim and another asks for proof, it is either supplied or the original statement must be amended or retracted.

So basically when you say Google it, your saying" I have no proof to offer...this is just my opinion." Your opinion as such is welcome. But when introducing "new facts" in order to convince, you must establish those fact as facts, not just vaguely point to Google, after all, it is you making a clame here, it must be you that supports that claim...yes?

HellasVagabond 19th January, 2008 10:42 PM

So what should i do ? Post links for 100 sites that speak of the problems ?
Or perhaps find a FOX rep and tell him to post here ? Both are quite impossible to achieve so googling is easy. He googled and found what i was talking about in no time.

As for Toshiba paying they paid initially in order to choose which side to go to just like Sony had paid FOX in the beginning. Both sides paid movie companies in the beginning that was kinda natural cause if not then perhaps movie companies wouldnt have joined either HD format since the costs for making such a move into an rather expensive HD-format wouldnt be justified.
But to pay a company thats about to join the other camp so that they wont is whats unethical and what i dont agree with totally.

danrok 19th January, 2008 10:57 PM

Since when did any of these companies put ethics before money?

There is only one way of voting, if we disapprove of a company's behavior - don't buy any of their products.

The way I see it, is that HD-DVD has always been the favorite to lose. This is mostly due to Microsoft deciding not to fit HD-DVD as standard to their Xbox 360.

Microsoft isn't the type of firm to take chances and risks, they've sat on the fence. They can launch a Blu-ray player for the 360, if they wish.

Firms like Sony go about things very differently to MS, they don't do sitting on fences.

Gizmo 20th January, 2008 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasVagabond (Post 467592)
But to pay a company thats about to join the other camp so that they wont is whats unethical and what i dont agree with totally.

So buying Paramount and Dreamworks off when they were supporting both formats so that you can get them exclusively is ok?

TG Daily - Paramount and Dreamworks go HD-DVD: Sony’s curse continues

Sorry, but IMO that seems like a convenient dodge. "Do as I say, and not as I do."

HellasVagabond 20th January, 2008 02:35 PM

I dont see anywhere that Toshiba "payed" Universal and Paramount in order to ditch Blu-Ray. They propably did it for the same reason Warner did and thats cause the cost was high.

Daniel ~ 20th January, 2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasVagabond (Post 467604)
I dont see anywhere that Toshiba "payed" Universal and Paramount in order to ditch Blu-Ray. They propably did it for the same reason Warner did and thats cause the cost was high.

Dude! Google it!

And if you can't find it? Or you find that which contradicts it? Well then that just means we've failed to commutate, due to REALLY sloppy referencing.

As I said we do things here in a certain way. We do it for a reason. You can do it differently... and it will continue to show.

Daniel ~ 20th January, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasVagabond (Post 467592)
So what should i do ? Post links for 100 sites that speak of the problems ?

One reputable source will show your honestly relaying what you've read. Two or three add real creditability to what you've said... At this point, you need one.

Quote:

Or perhaps find a FOX rep and tell him to post here ? Both are quite impossible to achieve so goggling is easy. He goggled and found what i was talking about in no time.
If something is impossible why bring it up? I asked for your source, if that is impossible, maybe you should refrain from making the claims you have?

Quote:

As for Toshiba paying they paid initially in order to choose which side to go to just like Sony had paid FOX in the beginning. Both sides paid movie companies in the beginning that was kinda natural cause if not then perhaps movie companies wouldn't have joined either HD format since the costs for making such a move into an rather expensive HD-format wouldn't be justified.
But to pay a company thats about to join the other camp so that they wont is whats unethical and what i don't agree with totally.

You haven't show how this is unethical, you just claim that it is.

When you make claims you must substantiate them or others will think you just make stuff up...

Gizmo 20th January, 2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellasVagabond (Post 467604)
I dont see anywhere that Toshiba "payed" Universal and Paramount in order to ditch Blu-Ray. They propably did it for the same reason Warner did and thats cause the cost was high.

Oops, sorry, got the wrong link. Try this one instead:
Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival - New York Times

HellasVagabond 20th January, 2008 08:51 PM

From what i read in that story MS denied ever giving money to Universal and Viacom. Only 2 Viacom "executives" whos names they dont say said that they were getting 150 million dollars.....
SONY hasnt denied paying Fox....


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Copyright ©2001 - 2010, AOA Forums


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0