AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   main rig (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/45842-main-rig.html)

bonesaw 29th September, 2008 04:09 AM

main rig

whats everyones main computer for doing what they do most on. i just noticed that not every one has there computer specs in there sig.
include cooling, max oc, mods, ect.

PorPorMe 29th September, 2008 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesaw (Post 481709)
whats everyones main computer for doing what they do most on. i just noticed that not every one has there computer specs in there sig.

Right now my main rig is down. Board died and is RMA'd. Am running a back up Athlon 750, not in my sig! No Sir! DFI board arrives Monday if Muff1ns UPS curse doesn't attach it self!
P.S.
Do me a favor. Occupy Muff1n on some pretence of OC'ing a vid card or something so his curse doesn't catch!:thumbsup::crazy::D
Edit:
I have missed folding, will be nice to crank it up agian.

MUff1N 29th September, 2008 12:21 PM

LOL... :rolling:
Nah, the curse ended on Sunday, so you'll get it today! :thumbsup:
That's when I got mine too. ;)

Rondog 29th September, 2008 01:40 PM

Rig 1: Everday use, Loz plays The Sims 2 on it
Rig 2: Daily work horse for the business.
Rig 3: Loz's laptop for universitity
Rig 4: Media centre
Rig 5: Exchange server, active directory, print/file services, backup server
Rig 6: Terminal services

Thats about it. I have a test rig as well which is an Athlon XP 2200+ w/ 1gb RAM which I use to plug HDD's into and scan for viruses, back up data, etc etc. Its not on the network. I do what I have to, then reload an Acronis image off a disk.

Daniel ~ 29th September, 2008 06:45 PM

Down to a single box. P5Q with a 4 core and 4 gigs of ram. Used to help keep the site fresh and active and to play the occasional game.

kellamne 29th September, 2008 07:55 PM

Nothing new here .... hopefully stay like this until 2009.

My setup:-
1: Fusion Media Case - Main Sys/Music when working mainly at moment.
Re-imaged XP on weekend - so not much on it at moment

2: Tosh Sat laptop - being sold to a brother as not used (I hope).
(2a. Not technically mine - Works Dell Laptop - reason to sell No.2)

3. Eee 701/XPliteSP2/1GB(4GBSSD/8GBSD) - Daily/Site work and travelling.
---------
Family rigs - (hastle .... maybe ) ....
4. A7N8X/3200 Barton/700MB/XP/4200Ti - Parents daily (my old sys: 2001~?)
5. Foxconn MB/AM2 3000/1GB/XP - Older sisters family - daily browsing
6. AM2/XPSP3 - Youngest brothers system - parent next sys.
7. Compaq - laptop. Brothers system - knackered - another reason to sell mine.
---------

MUff1N 29th September, 2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesaw (Post 481709)

1. New System
Sig says it all! Used mainly for Communication with the outside world (Includes research & online ordering), Gaming, Music, Movies in that order.

2. Old 2001 backup system used when & if this system stops working.
Gateway 500X P4 2.4 @ 2.66GHz (CPUFSB), Intel 845GRG, 2x500Mbs DDR PC2700, Radeon 9550 AGP, 15" LCD, WD 80GB, 40GB Maxtor.

Samuknow 29th September, 2008 08:34 PM

One up in a new box. Mostly folding, gaming, music and some video.

Another 754 3000+ DFI lanparty rig is going in the clear UFO case to fold and be a file server.

bonesaw 29th September, 2008 11:43 PM

does anyone have watercooling? and i was thinking about getting a quad but i have the ar version of my board thats not supposed to be good with quads.

Samuknow 30th September, 2008 12:00 AM

Yep.

I have my CPU and both my video cards water cooled.

See here...

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/samuk...tml#post481246

ccperf721p 30th September, 2008 12:55 AM

Main rig is in sig. Pretty much use it for everything, gaming, taking care of my business, managing a portfolio, music and video encoding. Running simulations of racing cylinder heads. It sees quite a bit of action from every angle..

Other rigs would include an AMD X2 based rig that runs my shop during the day and transfers the days workload to my home server (Q6600 on an Asus P5K WS with 16GB memory) so I can finish it up at night.

@Bonesaw The AR does alright as long as you stick with 9X (or possibly higher) multiplier quads. The Q6600 should be pretty easy to take to 400FSB on your board.

booman 30th September, 2008 04:39 AM

I used to have my spec in my signature but with so many links to mods I couldn't fit all the text within the limit. So I had to scratch it.

1. main rig (Dungeon Case) - Gaming, CAD, Photoshop, Websites, Flash, Extra data (game mods, pictures, video, music)
2. Internet rig - Mostly internet and games for lan parties
3. gaming rig (Frozen Case) - older hardware but still plays most games
4. gaming rig (Cross Case) - older hardare too and runs in lan parties
5. gaming rig - my new budget system just for lan parties
6. dedicated server - simple BTX machine for running game servers, you guessed it... lan parties
7. Future Server - been wating over a year to purchase SATA drives for a RAID configuration... otherwise its ready to be my full fledged server.

bonesaw 30th September, 2008 05:47 AM

samuknow can you get any higher on that e6400 under water than 3.3?
ccperf721p so i'll be fine with a q6600 or q6700 and why is that? it would be cool to one day get water cooling.

and my other computers are a 5600+ with two gigs in some asus btx motherboard and a 2200+ with a 1 gig and a 6600gt, i got back from a friend from my first build.

Samuknow 30th September, 2008 11:13 AM

Yes, I have had it to 3.4 and change. Never really pushed more than that. Maybe I should stretch her legs. It will do 3.3 on 1.2 volts. I am sure there is plenty left. I just hate temps over 45C.

Aedan 30th September, 2008 12:12 PM

Defining main rig is an interesting question - my systems are a bit inter-related!

1. IBM T30 with a faulty memory slot is probably the machine that I use as a computer most often.
2. Athlon 64 @?? GHz with 1GB RAM - MythTV box
2. VIA Nehemiah 1GHz with 256MB RAM - Firewall/mail server
3. PowerPC MPC8241 266MHz with 64MB RAM - NAS server

booman 30th September, 2008 04:53 PM

only 4 machines Aedan? I'm Shocked!

ccperf721p 30th September, 2008 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonesaw (Post 481791)
ccperf721p so i'll be fine with a q6600 or q6700 and why is that? it would be cool to one day get water cooling.

Almost every board from the 975X up will run a quad, but they will be FSB limited by the Northbridge when overclocking. Using the higher multiplier Q6600 or Q6700 lessens the load on the Northbridge so decent clocks can still be achieved.

bonesaw 9th October, 2008 08:30 AM

i've gotten in the 425 range with my current board. a quad at 3.4 is all i'd be after. this 8x i got now is making 3.4 difficult on my e6400.

Samuknow 9th October, 2008 11:19 AM

That 680i should have FSB to spare. 3.4 on the 6400 is reachable, just not easily.

PorPorMe 9th October, 2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorPorMe (Post 481710)
Right now my main rig is down. Board died and is RMA'd. Am running a back up Athlon 750, not in my sig! No Sir! DFI board arrives Monday if Muff1ns UPS curse doesn't attach it self!
P.S.
Do me a favor. Occupy Muff1n on some pretence of OC'ing a vid card or something so his curse doesn't catch!:thumbsup::crazy::D
Edit:
I have missed folding, will be nice to crank it up agian.

DFI board arrived! I thought the mis-direction had worked and the curse had been defeated! Yea, that's what I get for thinking.:banghead:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUff1N (Post 481727)
LOL... :rolling:
Nah, the curse ended on Sunday, so you'll get it today! :thumbsup:
That's when I got mine too. ;)

Just lulling me into a false sence of security, I know how it goes. The DFI board arrive on time and I figured the curse was avoided! It just ghanged tactics. It arrived DOA!:evil:
The EGG just had to use UPS. My Asus P5Q arrives Monday, but of course you know that, don't cha'?
just what does the curse want? Chicken blood? I'll head out right now! Frog sacrifice? There arn't any in Spokane but I'll order some from Alabama! Un-mentionable sex acts? I'll order more frogs! BIG ones!:crazy:
I just need to know what the curse wants to leave this one alone.

Bonesaw, I almost forgot. Now I can put up my rig for you. It's in my signiture, as you can see.
I don't do any gameing. Mine is mostly used for my entertainment, in all of it's variables. What is not in the sig is the two speaker systems I have. Microfts Digital Sound System 80 for the DVD movies and Concerts on the TV. And logitech X540 5.1 Suround sound System for music that's on the computer. Then there is AOA, OC'ing, folding, learning, etc.