AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Reliable Monitors (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/50575-reliable-monitors.html)

booman 24th July, 2012 04:06 PM

Reliable Monitors

My work is wanting to buy some more monitors because our spares are running low.
These monitors will be used for everything - Finance, Production, Office Apps, Adobe Apps, internet, email and everything else you can think of for a business place.
I'm very partial to Acer Monitors because they have great prices, but I am not able to verify their life span because I only use them once a day for a few hours.
My work currently has Dell monitors and they have lasted 6+ years and are on all day long... so VERY reliable.

Do you guys recommend any specific brand that will continue this reliability?
Do any of you use Acer's 8+ hours a day?

Aedan 24th July, 2012 05:39 PM

Personally, I'm using a couple of Dell monitors, and my workplace specify Dell monitors too, but computers are a different matter.

booman 24th July, 2012 05:48 PM

I've never seen monitors get abused for so many years and still stand up to the task.
I have never been a 'fan' of Dell computer, but I work on them every day.
Honestly, their case designs are pretty cool...

The 19 in monitors are $200.00
I've been purchasing 23in Acers for $150.00 so you see why I'm asking... I would love to get a bunch of Acers but will they hold up 8+ hours a day for years?

booman 24th July, 2012 05:50 PM

I looked again at the Dell website and 20 in widescreen monitors are $140.00 which isn't all that bad. They are LED too.
Does anyone know if LED can stand up to 8+ hours a day in a workplace?

Daniel ~ 24th July, 2012 10:42 PM

My experence is very limited, just want to say My Samsung is a very nice monitor...

But that probably varies though out their product line...

booman 24th July, 2012 10:48 PM

exactly, I am looking for a long long long lasting monitor.
I have no way to gauge modern monitors because I rarely use them due to being at work all day.
I have two LED monitors and they work great, but very limited use.

by the way Dan, your signature is showing some html or bbc code in it.

Daniel ~ 25th July, 2012 02:35 AM

I hear you, who knows what will last when it's still new! ":O}

Yeah, Gizmo set that up for me and occasionally it messes up (Bad Gizmo Bad!)

I don't want to bother him with the small stuff as he's carrying the world on his shoulders these days and the world tends to wobble when we lest expect it...does that make sense?

booman 27th July, 2012 08:59 PM

So, no one else has some real-life experience with reliable monitors?

Gizmo 27th July, 2012 11:09 PM

I've got a KDS Radius 17 LCD that I bought circa 2002. I've used the heck out of it, and it's still going strong (though the backlight is finally starting to give out).

I've got a Samsung T260HD that I'm using now which is a 24" widescreen. I bought it on sale from NewEgg as a closeout, and I've been VERY pleased with it, but it is only about 18 months old.

booman 27th July, 2012 11:13 PM

Never heard of KDS Radius. I that an LCD? How much did it cost back then?

Gizmo 27th July, 2012 11:18 PM

:evil:
Quote:

Originally Posted by booman (Post 517056)
Never heard of KDS Radius. I that an LCD? How much did it cost back then?

KDS = Korean Data Systems. KDS purchased the Radius brand name. Radius used to be big in the Mac market back in the late 90s.

Yes, it's a 17" LCD, and back when I bought it, I paid about $300 for it I believe.

Gizmo 27th July, 2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~ (Post 517030)
I don't want to bother him with the small stuff as he's carrying the world on his shoulders these days and the world tends to wobble when we lest expect it...does that make sense?

Appreciate the consideration Daniel, but if we can't do something small for each other once in a while when we are trying to carry the world, then what's the point of carrying the world? ;)

Check your siggy. :thumbsup:

Daniel ~ 28th July, 2012 05:05 AM

Well you got the Pacific Northwest back into the spin of things, many thanks.":O}

booman 28th July, 2012 05:10 AM

signature looks much better!

Daniel ~ 28th July, 2012 07:18 PM

Everything goes better with Gizmo on it... That came out kinda gooey didn't it!? ":O}

booman 30th July, 2012 05:01 PM

only when you say it Dan

Daniel ~ 30th July, 2012 08:53 PM

I'll dial back on Gooey....":O}

Gizmo 31st July, 2012 05:29 AM

Ok that is just so....so.....ICK! LOL

Daniel ~ 31st July, 2012 06:16 PM

Maybe we were better off the way with the way my Signature was. Sorry guys I really made a gooey mess of this!

(I've taken myself off of Peanut-butter and Jelly sandwiches, that should quell the gooey!)

Gizmo 31st July, 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel ~ (Post 517153)
(I've taken myself off of Peanut-butter and Jelly sandwiches, that should quell the gooey!)

OK, now THAT'S an image I really didn't need. Even MORE ICK! LOL