AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   IDE RAID 0 and FSB OC's (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/8307-ide-raid-0-and-fsb-overclocks.html)

SteveI 12th August, 2002 07:00 PM

IDE RAID 0 and FSB OC's

Given the same hardware, is a striped array more sensitive to FSB overclocks, than the same drives running separate partitions?

I have a RAID mobo, and matching HDD enroute, but I'm curious to know if this will increase the number of overclocking issues.. I realize that risk of failure increases in general, since either drive going down means data loss... but I don't want to make overclocking harder.

Daniel ~ 12th August, 2002 09:13 PM

Naw, at lest it never has for me, but I use Promise cards, so may not be quite the same for you.

SteveI 12th August, 2002 09:29 PM

Thanks Dan~,
That helps.. I'm getting the AT7 max, with HPT RAID on board, and a pair of ATA133 maxtors. I want to dabble with RAID, and since this is my first RAID, I want to be prepared for any unexpected bumps. :)

JayJay 28th August, 2002 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveI
Thanks Dan~,
That helps.. I'm getting the AT7 max, with HPT RAID on board, and a pair of ATA133 maxtors. I want to dabble with RAID, and since this is my first RAID, I want to be prepared for any unexpected bumps. :)

Same here.....Ive been planning to mess around with RAID 0 configs for quite some time now. :)

Show us what happens after you get your RAID up.:D

The Spyder 28th August, 2002 08:59 AM

My raids working fine with 2x 20gig fugi's at 166fsb on my at7 and it worked on my IT7 to :)

SteveI 28th August, 2002 01:03 PM

Got it set up now, and it's noticably faster. I'm down to only 256mb of DDR so the HDD gets accessed a lot. I've got it set up as a RAID 0 using 2 ATA133 60gig maxtors (16k)... 8gig primary, and 100gig secondary partitions. Running NTFS, I need to find a good benchmark proggie... but I don't need it to notice the improvement. (still need more ram tho)

brocke8 6th September, 2002 01:01 PM

i've had my raid 0 running at 200 fsb on 8k3a+ no problems with two barracuda IV 2 x 60 g

jay 6th September, 2002 08:43 PM

no problems with (r)AID 0 with my PCI BUS out of spec.....
the (r)AID will crap out on you once the 1st part of the (r)AID doesnt like PCI speed you are running at.....

So test your drives and controller before you set the RAID up...
whatever PCI speed stops you thier, being a HDD or a controller...
You will now know the limit of what your RAID will be able to handle.

Using a modded (for RAID) Promise TX2 Ultra card.

Daniel ~ 6th September, 2002 09:15 PM

I'm running my Promise at 214 FSB, I'll try the built in RAID when my second 8K5A 2+ gets here":O}

dimmreaper 9th September, 2002 08:55 AM

[thinking out loud]

Any know if you can strip eight drives with the 8K5A3+ ??? :evil:

[/thinking out loud]

SteveI 9th September, 2002 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
[thinking out loud]

Any know if you can strip eight drives with the 8K5A3+ ??? :evil:

[/thinking out loud]

Yup, I have the AT7max, which uses the same HPT374 raid, 4 raid connectors. :evil:

Only down side is that the HPT site says all over the place that it can do ATAPI CDROMS... but I haven't been able to get it to work on mine.

dimmreaper 9th September, 2002 08:30 PM

Too bad the PCI bus on which the controller rests is only good for 132MBs eh?

SteveI 9th September, 2002 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Too bad the PCI bus on which the controller rests is only good for 132MBs eh?
But isn't that why we overclock the PCI bus too? :-D

dimmreaper 9th September, 2002 10:34 PM

PCI-X will bring up to 4 times the bandwidth for peripherals, can't wait for that . . .

Daniel ~ 9th September, 2002 11:00 PM

Got a due date Jeff?

Daniel ~ 9th September, 2002 11:01 PM

Bad Daniel, BAD! I can't afford to even think about new hard ware for a year!! LOL

dimmreaper 9th September, 2002 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel ~
Got a due date Jeff?
I dunno, AMD is making a "PCI-X tunnel" for Hammer systems, but I really get the feeling they intend it more for servers than workstations. Who knows when we will see boards and peripherals that use it. The fact that Intel is pushing a rival technology called 3GIO or "PCI Extreme" complicates matters. We will see much change in the PC platform in 2003 and 2004, much like the kind of change we saw back in '98 and '99 . . . .

Grentarc 24th September, 2002 01:13 PM

I know that MSI actually mislabeled the 64bit PCI slots on the KD7-Master as "PCI-X" slots, but other than that.. SATA on PCI-X would be verrry niiice indeed