AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   New Lite-On 48x cd writer (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/8737-new-lite-on-48x-cd-writer.html)

Pinky 27th August, 2002 12:01 AM

New Lite-On 48x cd writer

Excellent drive! :)

Very quiet, wouldn't recognize the Memorex 40x media I have, but a quick firmware update from their site solved that.

Burns a 800MB SVCD in 3:58 min. Extremely quiet.

Only $79 shipped at newegg.com

Orbit 27th August, 2002 12:05 AM

Yes, glad you posted your impressions, because as a matter of fact, I was JUST speccing out some new parts for my son's new box he wants for college, and that was the cd-rw I picked. (from Newegg, no less, too hehe). Thanks! I'll go with it then.

Spode 27th August, 2002 12:23 AM

I love the liteon drives. So are CHEAP and reliable. I had the 12x and now the 32x. I have bought other people the 40 and 48 and they have been happy as well.

Lionfish 27th August, 2002 03:48 AM

Still happy with my 32x:D

unclemojo 27th August, 2002 03:57 AM

I'm content with my 12x still. Does it really make all that much a difference to me if I burn in 6 minutes or 3? hell no...I'm drinkin a beer and I'll prolly forget I'm burnin it anyway. I wouldn't mind having a DVD burner though. It sure would make things a lot easier ;)

Spode 27th August, 2002 08:40 AM

I was considering a DVD burner while I was in the US. But didnt bother. I'm gonna wait for the price to come down. cd-rom media is SOOO cheap as well.

WyrmMaster 28th August, 2002 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by unclemojo
I'm content with my 12x still. Does it really make all that much a difference to me if I burn in 6 minutes or 3? hell no...I'm drinkin a beer and I'll prolly forget I'm burnin it anyway. I wouldn't mind having a DVD burner though. It sure would make things a lot easier ;)
My thoughts exactly. 12x is fine for me. Maybe someday il get a faster one, but whats the difference really. It just means that you can only listen to a half a song while burning a cd instead of a whole one.:D

cloasters 28th August, 2002 01:48 AM

Yarr, Mongo like his Lite-On 16x10x40. At the time, it was a great deal for ~$90. Dunno the details about Lite-On. It was said that their first burner's were all rebadged. If you got REAL lucky, you got a Plextor for peanuts!

AFAIK, they now make their own CD-RW's. And everybody is eager to rebadge them as their own!

JayJay 28th August, 2002 07:14 AM

Yep :) Lite ons are great. Im really satisfied with my 16x Lite On CD Burner.

Spode 28th August, 2002 09:33 AM

Yeah, now it's the other way round cloasters. Surlyjoe bought an el cheapo drive and was happy tofind it wasa rebadged liteon :D

Personally though, I found it difficult to noticethe differene between 12x and 32x. But I did notice teh jump from 4x to 12x

Pinky 28th August, 2002 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spode
Personally though, I found it difficult to noticethe differene between 12x and 32x. But I did notice teh jump from 4x to 12x
Blasphemer!!

I really only see a minute here and there shaved off, but it's nice to know I have it :) (and it really does burn at 40x + :D ).

unclemojo 29th August, 2002 03:09 AM

Find a firmware upgrade to update the slower ones to burn faster. I managed to stick an 16x firmware on my 12x and got a bit more speed from it. Nothing noticable, but it does list as 16x in the options too now.