AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Decisions. Argh. (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/8817-decisions-argh.html)

cloasters 29th August, 2002 05:43 AM

Decisions. Argh.

After looking at quite a few PS's, it's down to this choice. PC P&C Silencer 400. Or SPI Sparkle's 400W. The Silencer 400 from PC Power&Cooling features a lot more power from its 3.3v rail and 3 more Amps from its 12v rail. And 1% tolerance on the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails. As well as nearly twice the hold-up time and a combined 3.3v+5v rating of 300W. Drool. Five year warranty. Drawback? It's about $153, shipped.

Sparkle's 400W model has 5% tolerance on all three positive voltage rails that count. 12A vs. 15A on its 12v rail, 28A vs 40A on the 3.3v rail, and a combined Wattage of 230, for its 3.3v+5v rating. Drawback? Rather sickly specs. Selling point? $73, shipped.

Is PC P&C's Silencer 400(or 425W Turbo-Cool. Same specs, same price, louder) worth twice as much as Sparkle's 400W model? Absolutely.

Can I afford the 50% "tariff" for high quality? Must I answer that question honestly? Wait a sec, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. Shoot me.

Holst 29th August, 2002 08:10 AM

ITs only worth buying the more expensive supply if you get a benefit from it.

If your only running one CPU then the Sparkle 400 will be fine

Orbit 29th August, 2002 03:20 PM

Wow. I didn't realize the specs on the P&C Supply are so good. No wonder they cost so much more.

Wish you hadn't posted this...;)

Would I rather have a VW or a M.Benz my next psu? Hey, it's only money, right?

cloasters 29th August, 2002 09:05 PM

Du lieber Gott! The fast lane on the Autobahn is reserved, unless you are really stupid. You wouldn't believe how fast the Mercedes and other fast cars move by you. Let's hope the driver's of this big iron are as good as they think they are. Expensive vehicle = better than average driver. Cough.

Highfalutin' desires crash into the reality zone. Sure, I could get the "Mercedes" of 400W PS's. But it would be painful to the incredible-yet-true constantly shrinking wallet.

Where is that VW dealer? I lost the newspaper.

SteveI 29th August, 2002 09:27 PM

Hey, for the price of that PSU, I'm 1/2 of the way to another folding rig.. :p:p

surlyjoe 29th August, 2002 10:16 PM

The PC pac suppluies are first rate, no doubt about it, and IHO the sparkles are also. HOWEVER! I do not see the one being worth TWICE as much as the other, the extra voltage that the silencers have will go unused on anything but a quad CPU rig. If I had to pick for the same price for a single or dual CPU machine I would prolly go sparkle, as I have used them for years without incident. (can you tell there my favs? :-D )

cloasters 30th August, 2002 03:57 AM

I'm not dissing Sparkle's. The SPI 350 I have works well. Its 5v rail is precisely on target, the 3.3v value is a whopping 6/1000ths of a volt too high, but... the 12v rail reads 11.37v. This has caused no problem, but I just don't get the warm and fuzzy that my PC P&C 300W Turbo-Cool provides.

Which is moot. Unfortunately, the Turbo 300W provides only enough oompf for an Athlon 600! That'll learn me to look up the LATEST specs! Going by memory, tsk.

At this point I think I'll put off buying any 400W PS. A Sparkle 350 from Nwegg, plus an RB'd 1800+ comes to $133. And a OEM 1600+ plus the Mr Sparkle 350 costs $100, even. The C-Note has a nice sound to it, atm!

cloasters 31st August, 2002 12:08 AM

And it came to pass. I'm adding another Sparkle 350 to the fold, and I'm looking forward to the RB'd 1800+. Would have been another twenty clams for the Silencer 400, all by itself. Were I OCing a K7, that 1% regulation of the 3.3v rail would be very reassuring. But I am sick and tired of OCing. Gasp!

Orbit 31st August, 2002 12:31 AM

Quote:

But I am sick and tired of OCing. Gasp!
Heresy... heresy !!! The horror !! LOL

cloasters 2nd September, 2002 10:52 PM

Absolutely heretical! I'm cast into the darkness where the lamer nerds live.

Big deal. Spent too much time sweating over CPU temps. 3 years was enough.

Daniel ~ 2nd September, 2002 11:27 PM

cloasters, would you please do me a favor and explain what I'm looking at and the good or bad meanings there of when I cast my eyes upon the voltages reported in MBM and the like?
TIA!":O}

Random Nonsense 3rd September, 2002 01:03 PM

Cloasters, rather than overclocking, why not go for as quiet as possible? I cant believe your sig, a delta on a non-oc'd system? tut tut! :p

I think you still count as a part of the true faith, if you go the quiet route. But buy a Dell at your peril! The penalty of which is being pelted with AOA's HUGE and highly secret stash of fried hardware until you can no longer function as a human being!

cloasters 4th September, 2002 01:13 AM

Garshk, Daniel~. First off, you need to make sure that the voltages that MBM shows are the same that are reported in BIOS. If there are conflicting values, the mainboard's voltage reports and temps should be believed, rather than MBM's.

I don't remember how to use a Multimeter to check on the accuracy of the PS's 3.3v rail. Keeping your hands out of harm's way, putting the Multimeter's red probe into a Female 4-Pin "Molex" plug's hole that the Yellow wire is connected with, and putting the Multimeter's black probe into the Black wire that's NEXT to the Yellow wire while the PC is running gives you an accurate measurement of the 12v rail. Switching the red probe to the Red wire in the Molex connector, and the black probe to the black wire that's next to the red wire in the 4-Pin connector, while the box is running gives you the real value of your 5v rail.

Hope that makes sense!

robbie 4th September, 2002 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters

Alright, your out of the club!!! Give me OC license.
Rob

cloasters 4th September, 2002 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Random Nonsense
Cloasters, rather than overclocking, why not go for as quiet as possible? I cant believe your sig, a delta on a non-oc'd system? tut tut! :p

I think you still count as a part of the true faith, if you go the quiet route. But buy a Dell at your peril! The penalty of which is being pelted with AOA's HUGE and highly secret stash of fried hardware until you can no longer function as a human being!

I don't want to be excommunicated! As I have no way(that doesn't cost money) of discovering the true temp of the Durons, I've devised a formula that yields a figure that I think is pretty accurate. I add 5C to what CPU temperature the BIOS reports, or simply add 32F to the room temperature.

Either way, the "true" temp of the Duron comes out to +- 2F of what the other "formula" yields.

How I arrived at this formula is an ancient family secret that will die with me.

Unless someone made up a table somewhere that shows the Delta between what the in-Socket A thermistor reports, vs. what the real internal temp of the Morgan cored Duron, Palomino and Thoroughbred is on MANY different mobo's, what's a mother to do?

This is all preamble to the fact that if I believe "my formulae for CPU temp guesstimation," and why not?-- my Duron's run a bit toasty. Otherwise, I'd use a Caspar Milquetoast "I can't believe there's a CPU fan in this box!" wussy widdle fan.

Truth be told, I could not afford to replace the Original Celly's and PIIIE's that I overclocked for three years. Therefore, I simply got too stressed watching MBM like a hawk. Now I don't have to. I don't OC.

OCing was a necessity, 'cause SwIntel simply charged too much for their processor's. Before AMD miraculously made the Athlon, there was only one "hot" processor. And you paid what Chipzilla wanted, not what they were worth. 220 flippin' dollars for a PIIIE 550. And I burned it up, too. From OCing? Certainly not, Mr SwIndel RMA person!

After discovering that Intel's published Max Allowable CPU Temp was fiction of the first order, the seed was planted. Maybe it was time to take another look at K7's.

Sure, serious FSB OCing yields the best benches. Whoopee. I can remember when 500 MIP's was an impossible dream.

dimmreaper 4th September, 2002 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cloasters
Strap him in to the chair in front of the big screen, fellers. Its time for our friend here to receive a bit of reprogramming . . .

Pinky 4th September, 2002 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dimmreaper
Strap him in to the chair in front of the big screen, fellers. Its time for our friend here to receive a bit of reprogramming . . .
I'll get the car battery from the closet ;)