AOA Forums

AOA Forums (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/)
-   General Hardware Discussion (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/7-general-hardware-discussion/)
-   -   Mixed drive RAID array . . . (http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/general-hardware-discussion/9293-mixed-drive-raid-array.html)

dimmreaper 16th September, 2002 10:26 AM

Mixed drive RAID array . . .

He guys, I was thinking I might want to order a HighPoint controller and put a spare 40GB drive I have to use. Problem is that I don't have a mate to this drive, and 80GB drives seem to offer more capacity/dollar. Can I pair this 40GB drive with an 80GB drive(looking at 8MB cache WD specials), and use the full capacity of the drives, I.E. end up with 120GB of capacity? Can I have all the capacity in one partition, or will I have to have an 80GB partition and a 40GB partition? TIA!

SteveI 16th September, 2002 12:50 PM

I don't know about the retail card version, but.... I have the HPT374 onboard.
When I was building my array (it's my first attempt), I was going real slow trying to make sure I did it right. I checked every option as I was going, and I noticed there seems to be no options at all for free space, on either drive. The controller made the whole drive part of the array. And once the drive was selected, that was it. I hope I'm wrong.

mookydooky 16th September, 2002 01:26 PM

Basic RAID doesn't allow for using slack space on the larger units. I think you need something like RAID 5 or maybe RAID 6 in order to take advantage of slack space. It's a shame really. I presume you're planning to set up RAID 0, in which case you will end up with a pseudo 80G hard disk that runs almost twice as fast as your slower drive. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Daniel ~ 16th September, 2002 05:35 PM

Yep.
When this is done ( RAID 0) defaults to the smaller, slower drive for compadibility.

dimmreaper 16th September, 2002 07:47 PM

Bummer . . .

Oh well, guess I can wait and buy a couple 80GB SerialATA150 drives in a few months, as RAID5 ATA100 controllers are over $200 . . .

Holst 17th September, 2002 12:19 AM

It might work but you will loose 40gb.

And a single 8mb cache WD will probably be faster than a mixed array of 40gb to be honest.

Wait for SATA, thats what im doing (providing my IBM drive lives that long)

Daniel ~ 17th September, 2002 12:24 AM

Really, I don't see the slightest difference in the performance, but this may be entirely due to how I use my boxes. I just wanted a bit more HD space....not that I use that either! LOL

SteveI 17th September, 2002 12:28 AM

Going from 512mb RAM, down to 256mb was a real bummer for me. HDD access left and right... (I typically have 5-10 apps open).

I haven't boosted the RAM back up yet, but having RAID0 has made a noticable improvement... still takes too long, but much faster going between apps, and running memory hungry apps. You don't miss the performance until it's gone.

Holst: Good luck with that IBM HDD, I haven't had any.