AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th October, 2002, 09:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Thumbs up Bluetooth headset!

I've got a bluetooth headset for my bluetooth phone, which is cool . After picking up a bluetooth dongle for my PC, I thought I'd try setting up a connection from the PC to the bluetooth headset. Of course, it didn't work! So much for modern technology.

So, I had a poke around, and discovered some things...

It would seem that most PC bluetooth adaptors (esp the cheaper USB ones!) use Widcomm's BTW stack. Widcomm just about claim their Bluetooth stack (BTW) supports the Headset Profile, which is needed to communicate with a Bluetooth Headset.

On version 1.2.2.15 of the BTW Bluetooth stack, there are some extra files hidden away. Navigate to the directory where the BTW software is installed (E.G. "c:\program files\billionton" or "c:\program files\microstar"). Inside the directory should be a bunch of other directories. Look inside the "bin" directory.

There should be a "headset.reg" file, which contains the registry settings for the headset profile. Double clicking on it will insert the info into the registry, and the BTW software will suddenly recognise the Headset Profile and the Voice Gateway profile.

This isn't enough to make it work though! If you try to connect, you'll get a nice error message.

The next step is to install the Bluetooth Audio device. I did this by going to Add/Remove hardware, and "Add", "Add a new device", "No, I want to select"..., then "Sound, Video and game controllers", then "have disk". Point the "Locate File" at the "BtAudio.inf" file, and let it rip! You'll need to reboot afterwards.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems with stuttering sound, which makes it difficult to use.

AidanII
Old 16th October, 2002, 09:54 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I hate when one departs on a new technology adventure, only to be stranded on a desert Isle waiting for it's purveyors to actually make their products work!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th October, 2002, 10:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel ~
I hate when one departs on a new technology adventure, only to be stranded on a desert Isle waiting for it's purveyors to actually make their products work!
What really annoys me is that the parts that are not upgradable (Ie, the phone and the headset) work PERFECTLY! It's only the PC part that shows the usual PC problems.

I'm blaming Widcomm, as they're the people who wrote the bluetooth stack. The hardware manufacturer just bundled the software.

Incidently, Bluetooth is about 3 years old now, so it's hardly new technology!

AidanII
Old 17th October, 2002, 02:47 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

(Cough) I said "a new technology "adventure", Tahiti isn't new either, but I think I'd get pretty chuffed about going there.... Day's like this I think about Tahiti a lot ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!