AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd October, 2002, 10:15 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Sound Quality...

Well, I was unhappy with the quality of the sound coming out of my PC. I mean most of the sound was ok, but the bass wasn't exactly the best. It was a little on the weak side, and didn't go as low as I thought it should. In addition it was a little muddy as well.

"Pah", I thought to myself, "I can do better than this."

So, I figured I could mod the soundcard. I looked at the soundcard closely, and thought "Ahh, those bits are rather small, and I'm rather not good with small bits". That and I didn't have another PCI soundcard to put in it's place. (The Terratec EWS64XL is an ISA soundcard, but is darn good.)

Here's the Acoustic Edge in most of it's glory - You can't see the breakout cables, but that's ok!
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/s...e/Image049.jpg
Thanks to The Tech Zone for the image

Oh, and I must not forget the venerable Terratec EWS64XL. This is a decent card, even if it's ISA.
http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~mnaef/window...s/ews_card.gif
Thanks to Martin Naef for the image

Together with it's Digital-R front panel. Note there's no cheap plastic here. This is all solid steel. Well made, and the headphone amp will power speakers quite happily!http://thetechnozone.com/audiobuyers...pics/ews64.gif
Thnx to The Techno Zone

Oh, just in case you were wondering, Terratec provided the signal path in case users got confused. Yes, I've had to learn to read these things! OK, so that was so I could get my audio engineering diploma, but it comes in handy sometimes.
http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~mnaef/window...signalpath.gif
Thnx to Martin Naef again!

Anyhow, I gave up on the modding idea. It was all too messy for someone feeling ill at the time. Free tip: There's nothing like a good bit of bass to drive those colds out. (Blatantly untrue BTW, but it feels good anyhow)

*CLICK*, "My soundcard has an SPDIF output", I think, "Sure it'll only do two channels, but who cares when you're rumbling down into the subsonics?". Next step - SPDIF DAC.

Now, I have a walkman. Not just any walkman you understand. It looks like this. I like it. My GF wants to permanently borrow it too.

http://www.sony.jp/products/Models/L...img/TCD-D8.jpg
Thanks to Sony Japan for the image

Klay has the details on it here at Klay.com. Incidental, Klay shipped me an SPDIF cable for this thing when Sony UK wanted to charge me 120quid. I'm sure you can understand that Klay came out much cheaper even with the shipping! Perhaps we should say a fraction of the price?

So, now we have this little picture that I whipped up in notepad.

Code:
SPDIF  ---TCD8---Sub Amp---Sub
       |
AE-----|
       |
Analog ---Amp--Front speakers
The result? The D8 absolutely <insert expletive here> over the Acoustic Edge's dedicated sub output. There's just no comparison. The bass is tight, clean and crisp. Not only that, cuz that's just a minor distraction, but the bass now gets down into subsonics... You know, where you can move the 20Hz slider on your 31 band GEQand notice that the windows are trying to exit their frames. One definite improvement.

Fortunately it doesn't seem to have hurt too the phasing too much, despite the fact that the SPDIF link has a higher latency.

AidanII

Edits: Fix pictures, clean up ascii art, sort spelling mistooks and prettify this line

Last edited by Áedán; 22nd October, 2002 at 10:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd October, 2002, 11:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

whoa! that's crazy. well done...
Old 23rd October, 2002, 12:36 AM
Member/Contributer

WOW Aidan!!
Old 23rd October, 2002, 02:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sounds good, glad you could pull this off!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd October, 2002, 03:16 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

WOW MAN!!! I want one!! How much?!??!!??! PM me or reply please!!!
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd October, 2002, 09:39 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

The Sony D8 is a hangover from my audio engineering days, and would probably cost around the $600 mark in the US. My D8 was picked up in the US. There are better portable DAT machines, although the D8 is on the smaller side. That doesn't make it that small though!

The Terratec EWS64XL is no longer sold, and would appear to be going for around €30 mark on Ebay. You'll probably have to look in Germany to see many of them! Nice card, although they have been superceeded somewhat by PCI cards!

AidanII