AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th October, 2002, 08:19 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Question Best way from Vinyl to digital?

I'm looking into getting some stuff off vinyl, and into the digital domain. Most of the vinyl is pretty clean (IE, little in the way of dust or scratches), and I'd like to keep the sonic quality up.

What's the best way of doing it?

I should say that currently the system the deck is connected to does not have a line out. The other system with a line out is about 130 miles away, and is in use. (GF)

AidanII
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I just used the composit out to my herc XP and it sounded pretty dang good...just my 2c.
Old 28th October, 2002, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
I just used the composit out to my herc XP and it sounded pretty dang good...just my 2c.
Presume you mean line out, unless you've been watching your vinyl on TV. (Side note: The Baird system of television was actually recordable - there are several records with recordings on in existance today. Presumably these were the first VCRs? TV Dawn for more details)

Alas, the current system doesn't have a line out, and the other system that does seems to have a little problem with the output being too hot (or compressed, not sure which yet)

AidanII

Last edited by Áedán; 28th October, 2002 at 09:47 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2002, 01:58 AM

yes, line out lol. That's what i meant. hmm, what outputs does your record player have? lol i don't even know why i'm bothering; you probably know alot more about this then me. On an unrelated side note, once i had to copy those spool fish tape type media(don't remember what they're called) onto digital, and my only option was to splice the speaker wires and record off that. s/n ratio wasn't super, but it worked...although now that I look back, that probably wasn't too healthy for my equipment.
Old 29th October, 2002, 03:27 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

well I'm sure you sound card has a mic in right? Is your turntable a console type!?!? I'd take those and get a the correct y adapter and hook it up to the line in and turn the mic boost on. That should give ya enough signal.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th October, 2002, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpcman
p On an unrelated side note, once i had to copy those spool fish tape type media(don't remember what they're called) onto digital, and my only option was to splice the speaker wires and record off that.
You're not thinking of quarter inch tape on a reel-to-reel system are you? It's fun editing on that! You run the tape to where you want your cut/insert, locate the quietest point, and mark it with a chinagraph pencil. Then you find the other point for a cut, and mark that the same way. You take your tape off the machine, and cut it at a 45degree angle, then stick it all together again with splicing tape.

You can actually do a really good job editing like this, if you have to.

I've heard you can do it with 2" tape as well, but I'm too dubious about cutting up a 2" tape, as it's kinda expensive, and I don't wanna screw up a 24 track machine.... That and the stress the tape is under when moving at high speed is pretty high!

AidanII
Old 29th October, 2002, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robbie
I'd take those and get a the correct y adapter and hook it up to the line in and turn the mic boost on
The problem I've found with this is that there's too little bass and too much treble! Guess I'm gonna have to pick up a preamp for it.

AidanII
Old 29th October, 2002, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AidanII

You're not thinking of quarter inch tape on a reel-to-reel system are you? It's fun editing on that! You run the tape to where you want your cut/insert, locate the quietest point, and mark it with a chinagraph pencil. Then you find the other point for a cut, and mark that the same way. You take your tape off the machine, and cut it at a 45degree angle, then stick it all together again with splicing tape.

You can actually do a really good job editing like this, if you have to.

I've heard you can do it with 2" tape as well, but I'm too dubious about cutting up a 2" tape, as it's kinda expensive, and I don't wanna screw up a 24 track machine.... That and the stress the tape is under when moving at high speed is pretty high!

AidanII
yeah, like that. about as thick as fishing line, and breaks super easy.