AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2004, 03:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

A CODEC doesn't have to be silicon - it can also be software.

Whilst a DAC or an ADC on their own are not a CODEC, put the two of them together in a single package and it becomes a CODEC, as the device can both code and decode (typically analog to PCM and vise versa). Many systems use a single chip CODEC rather than having several seperate DAC or ADC devices.
Old 15th November, 2004, 07:26 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Computer Specific Questions

What is S/PDIF?

S/PDIF stands for Sony/Philips Digital InterFace. It is a consumer standard designed to allow audio to be passed in digital form to other equipment. It supports several different formats, 2 channel uncompressed audio (such as CD audio), 5.1 channel Dolby Digital, 5.1 channel DTS, 6.1 Dobly Digital EX.[/b]
the answer to a question i been asking myself for ages, ever since i took out an spdif connection from the back of my computer.

i thought CODEC meant: COmpressor/DECompressor in the software sense
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th November, 2004, 07:41 PM
AOA Staff

The encoding process may also include compression. Just depends on the CODEC used.
Old 15th November, 2004, 09:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Great guide Aedan, Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th December, 2004, 06:57 AM
Projector Wizard

Hi everyone
A few things maybe worthy of adding:

Soundstorm encodes 5.1 sound to Dolby Digital and pumps it all through a single SPDif link. As you mentioned some boards support this I thought I'd add which (some NForce 2 boards).
This feature is great! I change from the Asus A7N8x-x to an Abit AN7 motherboard just for this feature.

CODEC means enCOder/DECoder in the UK. It seems this has different mileage around the globe

Is it worth mentioning phase variance with frequency under Audio Quality questions? It impacts stereo imaging (and inevitably surround sound).
As its tough to measure at home, its not much value presented as I have done. A more detailed description may work?

Chernobyl

Edit: Great Guide Áedán!
X1800XT clocked to PE
Old 17th December, 2004, 10:00 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

I understand there are more boards/soundcards that can encode dolby digital that just nForce 2, but it's hard to track them down!
Old 17th December, 2004, 10:04 AM
Projector Wizard

I'm very interested to hear if you come across any!
X1800XT clocked to PE