AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th September, 2001, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to fireball_87

Talking just got a sound blaster audgy

this thing kicks @$$! its like %500 better than any other card ive owned. the eax options are truly amazing(more of them than in the live! cards). this would be a smart upgrade for even an vortex2. to bad thayr not shipping the xgamer's yet. i got the mp3+. the overall sound qualty is better than the live .
512mb crucial pc 2100 ddr
sound blaster audigy
120gb 7200 rpm WD hard drive
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu
alienware style green case (:

Last edited by fireball_87; 24th September, 2001 at 05:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2001, 05:16 PM
Banned

For the price the turtle beach is comparable (also 24 bit).

Glad to hear Creative got their head out of their bum and fixed their compatibility issues.
Old 24th September, 2001, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky
For the price the turtle beach is comparable (also 24 bit).

Glad to hear Creative got their head out of their bum and fixed their compatibility issues.
never heard about any compatabilty issues, but there shure arnt any in this one
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th September, 2001, 05:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

coolneess i am going to get a X gamer for $86 at www.newegg.com
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 25th September, 2001, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to reddeathdrinker Send a message via AIM to reddeathdrinker Send a message via Yahoo to reddeathdrinker

Nice card........

I recently upgraded from a SB128 to a SBLive! with 4 speakers and a woofer. That is a vast improvement in itself........

The other sound setup I've heard raved on about is the Hercules Game Theatre XP. My mate bought one, and Logitech Soundman speakers, and it is truly awesome.........seeing as I got his old card and speakers for £30........
Old 1st October, 2001, 06:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

I love my herc xp gamer. it's absolutely awsome.
Old 1st October, 2001, 06:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Super Send a message via AIM to Super

Going from AWE64 to Live! 5.1 was like going from he!! to heaven.
Old 2nd October, 2001, 11:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Theres nothing wrong with the awe64

Man I hate having no money

Old 3rd October, 2001, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil
I know, I still respect the card today. It served me well.
Old 3rd October, 2001, 12:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phil

Quote:
Originally posted by Super

I know, I still respect the card today. It served me well.
Still serves me well, and if I could find wdm drivers for win98se like the ones in WinME that allow multiple audio streams then I probabally would never need another card in my current system (when I can afford it I'm gonna make myself a yamaha based home studio )

Old 3rd October, 2001, 01:00 AM

Quote:

Still serves me well, and if I could find wdm drivers for win98se like the ones in WinME that allow multiple audio streams then I probabally would never need another card in my current system (when I can afford it I'm gonna make myself a yamaha based home studio )
That was one of the reasons I used ME most of the time. Than something happened to my windows (got out of control in the registry department ), and whenver I played UT for about 20 min, it would slow down all sound. Just like someone was talking really slow.
Old 3rd October, 2001, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Man I hate having no money
i had an awe 32. it was pretty nice, servered my needs for a while, but then i upgraded to a 4-channel genaric pos, and that wass he!! , after a few curmstances conspired to get me a free audgy mp3+(), i had ben living with $30-50 sound cards for so long, it just blew me away!
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 6th October, 2001, 03:12 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

Re: just got a sound blaster audgy

Quote:
Originally posted by fireball_87
this thing kicks @$$! its like %500 better than any other card ive owned. the eax options are truly amazing(more of them than in the live! cards). this would be a smart upgrade for even an vortex2. to bad thayr not shipping the xgamer's yet. i got the mp3+. the overall sound qualty is better than the live .
I have yet to audition an Audigy based card, so I have a question. I'm running my rig through a medium/high grade Home Theater (I know that's subjective, it's based around an HK AVR 7000) My SBLIVE has better sound quality than any past Creative offerings, but it still leaves much to be desired when you've got a good enough sound system to reveal it's flaws. Would you say the sound quality of the Audigy based cards is significantly better than the SBLIVE? I'm considering this as an upgrade
Old 9th October, 2001, 04:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nix

Re: Re: just got a sound blaster audgy

Quote:
Originally posted by SJAXKINGPIN

I have yet to audition an Audigy based card, so I have a question. I'm running my rig through a medium/high grade Home Theater (I know that's subjective, it's based around an HK AVR 7000) My SBLIVE has better sound quality than any past Creative offerings, but it still leaves much to be desired when you've got a good enough sound system to reveal it's flaws. Would you say the sound quality of the Audigy based cards is significantly better than the SBLIVE? I'm considering this as an upgrade
yes, yes, must upgrade. then I can snatch your old one.

Twaaaa!!!

Webmaster Tools Apps and Templates | eBook A Week - Free eBooks For Life!

"When the doors of perception are cleansed, things will appear as they truly are... Infinite"
William Blake
Old 9th October, 2001, 10:38 PM

Re: Re: just got a sound blaster audgy

Quote:
Originally posted by SJAXKINGPIN

well yes and no(more yes than no ), based on the few occations i have lissened to the sblive cards, it does have a good amount better sound qualty when yoused with softwhere that can support its fruatures, and is margenly better when used with "older" softwhere (most new ones do support it). the eax effects are cool and if you get the live drive(im not sure, but i think you can still use the old one) it has optical ports so you can have a "distortion free experence" ill give you the final virdict when maximum pc reviews it(ill get my issue on saterday or monday). i would say that considering you setup, it would be worth-while to upgrade, as the qualty is in the neaborhood of %30 better, its got some cool new eax effects, and you only other option would be a professial audio card.
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 10th October, 2001, 04:19 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I saw that newegg.com has then pretty cheap. I'm gonna pick one up and then NIX will have a SBLIVE.
Old 11th October, 2001, 10:57 PM

lol! and the leagsy of passed down hard where continues....
sound blaster audigy
40x12x40 cd burner
16x dvd
450wpsu

Old 30th October, 2001, 02:30 AM

Well I've had a couple of weeks to play w/ my Audigy. (No, not that, I've been playing w/ it for much longer.)

I must say that it is, in every respect the SBLIVES better. I've seen sites that don't recommend an upgrade from the live to the Audigy. I wholeheartedly disagree. While I'll admit that you may need a decent system to reveal the differences, if you've got the sound hardware to back it up, this is a must have. Everything from DVD/CD's to Games, to MP3's (not that I have any) sounds dramatically better w/ the Audigy. The noise floor has dropped to.. well... to the floor channel separation and dynamic range are noticably better. And the stereo imaging is very good. This was something that was poor in the SBLIVE. I haven't even used the new EAX HD features, and it was well worth my money. I've always had my Home Theater connected to my computer. The soundcard has always been the weakest link. Now, it's up to par with the rest of the system. If you've got $10 multimedia speakers that came w/ you Packard Bell, there's no need to upgrade (for many reasons) but if you've got good sound setup and you're tired of the sound quality from your computer not competing w/ the quality of other components, this is, in the parlance of our time, DA BOMB.
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor