AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd December, 2002, 08:02 AM

Location: The Meadow here http://www.audubon.org/ bird/puffin/images/map_big.gif

So you want DVD audio-out digital format?

Yah, me too! - I am building a new box. This part rocks http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/i...ies/banana.gif
  • So I am asking does anyone recommend a good audio card that offers DVD digital-out please??
I am disappointed this feature is not included with some popular yet very expensive HW, say Creative Labs Audigy2 for just one example.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
best wishes, Ugly

-- Ugly is a sexy bird.**
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd December, 2002, 12:01 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

When you say digital audio out, do you just mean Dolby Digital/DTS for a DVD Movie or do you mean DVD-Audio?

As far as I knew, most cards with an SPDIF output could streamthrough the AC3/DTS stream to an external decoder. Creative certainly claim that the Audigy 2 can do the passthrough to an external system.

If you're talking DVD-Audio, then there is a bandwidth problem! AFAIK SPDIF cannot handle the level of bandwidth needed to reproduce DVD-Audio.

Áedán
Old 22nd December, 2002, 01:39 PM

Location: The Meadow here http://www.audubon.org/ bird/puffin/images/map_big.gif

Frankly, I am interested in storing on the hard disk of my PC some of my own paid original discs so I can play at home without loading the disc in the tray of the DVD drive. I am sure this is OK. Hence, I think the answer is DVD-audio. Ugly

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2002, 07:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ugly
Frankly, I am interested in storing on the hard disk of my PC some of my own paid original discs so I can play at home without loading the disc in the tray of the DVD drive. I am sure this is OK. Hence, I think the answer is DVD-audio. Ugly
Ahh. I see what you are trying to do. Basically, you need a software player that will output an AC3 stream when playing a file from the HDD, rather than from a DVD. It isn't the card that cannot do it, it is the software! I presume you are storing the AC3 bitstream on your hard disk, as well as the stereo bitstream?

DVD-Audio is a specification for Music DVDs (IE, no video), and includes support for stereo at 24bits at 196KHz. That's a lot of very fast bits.

Áedán
Old 23rd December, 2002, 09:37 PM

Er yes, but first one needs the AC3 stream on the Hard Disk and this is my problem!
Player is like bird before egg. [wink] Ugly