AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th February, 2003, 08:17 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

Question slocket, graphics, and games :(

as some are aware, i have been using a slocket for nearly a couple of months now. i had to switch to a pci graphics card in order for it to work properly.

recently i tried to install Command & Conquer Renegade. on the box it says for minimum requirements: 16mb video memory PCI/AGP.

I try to install it.. it plays the first poening sequence, but is then supposed to go into the installation process, it just hangs. So i revert back to my old celeron 433 (slot-1), vòil* installs. I even play a couple of mins works okay, i also download the update and try it again.. works fine... except for a bit of jumpiness as its supposed to have a p2 400Mhz, since my celeron only has 1/2 the lvl2 cache i guess i was lucky to get away with it .

I go back to my celeron 700 (slocket), plays the opening sequence fairly smoothly. When it's supposed to goto the main menu it locks up again. I think its my slocket causing a problem. I cant use agp cards, as im limited to 16 colours @ 640 * 480, and minimal setting is for 16-bit colours (255)

has anyone else had any experience dealing with this?

i currently have a 3dblaster 4 mx420 pci 64MB. i was reading in another thread about some1 having problems with their card not playing UT2002, another FPS.

JohnTaylor, if it worked for you, can you let me know plz. thanks

Last edited by piccoLEW; 19th February, 2003 at 08:19 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th February, 2003, 10:27 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

640x480 in 16 colours generally means that the video card driver could not load properly. Windows then uses it's default VGA driver (compatible with just about everything!)

If it doesn't occur without the slocket, then it would appear that this is the primary culprit. You could attempt to drop the FSB speed of the slocket and see if that helps in any way at all.

Áedán
Old 20th February, 2003, 01:05 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

you cant get much lower than 66fsb
3dmark2003 also crashes and freezes just after loading the 1st test... perhaps if i upgraded my vid card to the best pci available, but im gonna have to wait it out for a bit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th February, 2003, 05:28 AM

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I'm pretty useless and I'm not sure what your on about
But I am buying a PCI Radeon 9000 and I will post as to how good I find it. Maybe you can get one too ?
Sorry-I suck
Old 20th February, 2003, 02:52 PM
Member/Contributer

johntaylor, are you using a slot-socket converter?
Old 21st February, 2003, 12:29 AM

im sure that im not. but im not sure what one is. so maybe
Old 21st February, 2003, 04:19 PM
Member/Contributer

slot 1 is a longish thingy on the mobo. the processor is the big thing that sticks out of it . a socket 370 is a little square thing, about 1/2 the size and about 1/4 of the thickness.

a socket370 - slot 1 adapter (aka a slocket) looks similar to a slot-1 processor, but has a little whit socket370 hole, for a socket370 chip to sit in.

im generally crap at explaining things, but i hope this helps.
Old 21st February, 2003, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Con

Attached Thumbnails
slocket, graphics, and games :(-slocket.jpg  
Old 27th February, 2003, 02:56 PM
Member/Contributer

bump
Old 27th February, 2003, 04:33 PM

What motherboard and chipset do you have.

Ive had mixed success with slockets and some boards, soemtimes they will run CPU's way more powerfull then you would expect. Others wont run much past the max slot 1 CPU they will take.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 27th February, 2003, 07:30 PM
Asst. BBS Administrator

Had no probs running an AGP Vidcard while using an Asus slocket on an Asus mainboard. Dunno if you can still buy Asus slockets. None available on Pricewatch, only generics.
Old 28th February, 2003, 05:53 PM
Member/Contributer

its an intel al440lx (yes intel) and they say there is no support for slockets on the website. gta3 dont work either. maybe i invest in another slocket, am thinking about upgradeware but nothing for about 2 weeks at least O_O.

atm its a celeron 700,
soon i will be getting a tualitin 1.2Ghz amazingly at 66fsb so if it magicall fixes it, i'll be chuffed to bits
Old 1st March, 2003, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Check all the jumpers on the sloket. Also, reinstall all your video card drivers. I had no problems with slockets back in the day...
Old 1st March, 2003, 09:05 PM
Member/Contributer

but surly if jumpers were outta place it wouldnt even load windows? i play RA2:Yuris Revenge with no probs.. just something to do with 2d/3d maybe?
Old 21st March, 2003, 02:57 PM
Member/Contributer

SMooooooth, not just a bump :D

today my voodoo5 5500 arrived...

solves my AGP problems with slocket .

Renegade didnt even stutter on the opening sequences, and and...
It doesnt freeze up.

im over the moon!

/me huggles ebay

now to hunt down that 766

hopefully be looking at 910Mhz then

i have a theory on why my other agp's and pci didnt work with things like renegade, i think it has something to do with the voltage setting on the slocket, where my voodoo card requires a standard 4-pin power thingy from the psu.

me so happy

<edit> now to overclock the dam'd thing then all there is left to do os hunt down the love of my life out there </Edit>

Last edited by piccoLEW; 21st March, 2003 at 03:10 PM.