AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd March, 2003, 06:10 PM

9000 vs 9000pro vs 9500pro for TV out

I'm looking to up[garde from a GeForce2 MX400. I know any of these will improve preformance, but I am looking at $$ and the TV out function.

I want 1024x768 with vertical and hortizontal size adjustments, not just a over/under scan control.
Also dual view (NTSC and VGA at the same time) capability with a DVI output.

I would get the 9500pro, but for $200 (or close to if you can find one) that is a little steep for me. The 9000pro can be had for about half of that, but I'm concerned about preformance along with the above.

Whats the difference between the TV out of the 9000, 9000pro and the 9500pro?

How about this 9100 I have heard about that I can find on ATI's site?
Old 3rd March, 2003, 07:10 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I suspect that the 9700/9700Pro/9500/9500Pro/9000/9000Pro probably all use the same encoder. Alas, it's rather hard much information, as the encoders are all ATI propriatory, and are onboard their silicon.

Anyone else?
Old 3rd March, 2003, 07:59 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

AFAIK, theres an old chip called the RAGE theatre chip that is now incorporated onto the die of newer GPUs.. It's primary use is for DVD decoding (MPEG1) and direct encoding for the 'TV in' function. I'm not sure if it is used for TV out tho.
Old 4th March, 2003, 03:12 PM

I narrowed it down to the 9500pro, the 9000pro and the 9100. I see ATI doesn't sell the 9100.

ATI doesn't use chips similar to nVidia's cards? They aren't built into the main ptocessor chip are they?
Old 5th March, 2003, 08:24 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

I have the 9000 Evil Commando (that name just kills me), has tv out, haven't tried it yet....so far, I am very happy with this card....cost me $180 Canadian....about $120 USD.
*edit* The price is probably a bit high as I bought it from a local mom & pop type shop.

specs on box are as follows:

-supports ati truform, smartshader, smoothvision and hyper z II
-4 pipeline architecture and 6 texture/pass
-supports directx 8.1 pixel shader 1.4 vertex shader 1.4 for visual realism.
-full spupport and compliance with opengl 1.3 apps
64m/128m ddr up to 6.4 gb/sec. bandwidth
-supports dual monitor and video output
-supports dvi
-supports 3d res (32 bit) up to 2048x1536

(funny, I had that in a pm I sent to someone today....handy tool, cut & paste is) :-D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2003, 10:50 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by videobruce
ATI doesn't use chips similar to nVidia's cards? They aren't built into the main ptocessor chip are they?
No, ATI doesn't use third party encoders, like nVidia based designs. The TV out on the ATI based cards is all on the main graphics processor.

I don't know about third party ATI based cards, although I'd assume they used the same encoder for price reasons. It's one of ATI's selling points!

Áedán