AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 3rd September, 2003, 01:57 AM

Need TV Tuner / Capture Card Advice

I would like a card to transfer VCR movies to cd or dvd. I would need it to be at least mpeg2 capable. Mostly I want to make svcd's. I want it to be user friendly and bundled with good software.
I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area.
I so far like the looks of a WinTV PVR 250 but I really don't need to watch tv on my pc.
I hope you all can lead me in the right direction.
Old 3rd September, 2003, 04:24 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

With a relatively fast processor, you can use a software based codec... Any video card with VIVO should do the trick. If you rely on a chip onboard to act as codec, it will most likely be very limited in capabilities. I used to use one with a composite connection, and the built in chip was nice since back then, it was in a P2 system, and a P2 just can't process fast enough on it's own... It was a rage theatre chip, I think.

AFAIK, aside from gaming, video processing is the only other function that really requires serious overclocking...

BTW: I also use a Winfast WinXP Deluxe TV tuner... it is the best bang for the buck TV tuner on the market... I love the scheduling capabilities, and the picture quality is very good.
Old 3rd September, 2003, 11:47 AM

SteveI, are you talking about mpeg2 being a codec when you say, "If you rely on a chip onboard to act as codec"? I thought if the hardware was not capable then software could not truly record a format/codec in that way.
I have been doing some 24bit sound recording on a 24bit card. The software I had on a card prior to that would record at near that but the sound was not a true 24bit.
At least that is what I thought and I may be all backwards on this. Or I may have made a wrong comparison.
I am going to take a look at the Winfast!
Old 3rd September, 2003, 12:12 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

An MPEG2 encoder just takes the full frame (IE, uncompressed) video, and then encodes it into an MPEG2 frame. This would be similar to a soundcard that could record in mp3 format automatically.

The alternative is to get a capture card that can capture full frames (=lots of PCI/AGP bandwidth), and have the CPU then encode into MPEG2 for you. This is like having a soundcard that can capture in PCM format, and then getting the CPU to encode it into MP3.

Either way around, you end up with a valid MPEG2 stream. However, using the CPU gives you more flexability, but at the cost of bandwidth use, and timing sensitivity.
Old 3rd September, 2003, 11:21 PM

The WinFast card has good reviews and looks like the deal!
Thank you for the help!
Old 13th September, 2003, 10:33 PM

I got the card! So far it works great! There were no problems with the install.
I have not yet figured out what all it will do and that includes the software. I did put part of a vcr movie to a cdr and it worked in my home theater dvd player.
Now I need to work out the optimal recording settings.
At this point, folks better get one. Mine was $49 including free delivery.