AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th September, 2003, 06:07 PM

Need some help from Pro's

Hi all,

Had an unfortunate accident with my ATI Rad 9700Pro this morning and knocked a couple of surface mounts from the GPU. :cry:

I still have one of the components but cannot find the other. I was thinking they may be resistors but I can't seem to be able to take a value from them, so even if I managed to solder one of them back I'd still need to get hold of another.

I have posted a pic of the type of componets (circled in black) that was damaged and was wondering what type of components these are and whether they're easily obtainable?

Cheers,

Pita^Norf
Attached Images

| Abit NF7-S V 2.0 | 1.8v Vdd (modded) | XP 1700+ DLT3C 0319 1.95v @ 2495 Mhz 217 x 11.5 |
| 2 x 256 TwinMos w/ Winbond BH-5 DC 10,2,2,Cas2 @ 3.0v Vdimm (modded) |
| Connect3d ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Innovatek Water Cooled CPU & NB, actively cooled SB |
| Adaptec 39160 | Seagate Cheetah ST318406LW | ST336706LW | Lite-on CDRW |

Last edited by Pita^Norf; 4th September, 2003 at 06:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2003, 08:44 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

The brown component you've marked looks like a decoupling capacitor. It's purpose is to aid stability.

The black objects look more like resistors.
Old 4th September, 2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply Áedán.

I've read up a little on these now and realise that these are of high performance may have been used to power the GPU.

Another question is in the unlikely event I was able to obtain some of these would they have to be soldered like conventional capacitors observing the polarites or can they be soldered like resistors ?

Cheers.

| Abit NF7-S V 2.0 | 1.8v Vdd (modded) | XP 1700+ DLT3C 0319 1.95v @ 2495 Mhz 217 x 11.5 |
| Connect3d ATI Radeon 9800 Pro | Innovatek Water Cooled CPU & NB, actively cooled SB |

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th September, 2003, 10:06 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Like all capacitors, it depends what type they are, as not all capacitors have polarity.

The ones that were on the GPU look like they're probably ceramics, which do not have a polarity.

Generally capacitors that have some form of polarity have markings to indicate which way around they go. This seems to go for surface mount parts too.
Old 26th September, 2003, 11:52 PM

Talking

Thanks for the info Áedán.

After alot of searching and waiting I managed to get hold of a borked 9700p at a reasonable price and transplanted the parts over to my card.

It was anything but easy and certainly would not win any marks for appearance but considering I was using soldering iron with a normal tip albeit filed down slightly, I got there in the end. Everythings seems to be running fine atm so I'm very happy that it looks like my £230 investment was saved.