AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th November, 2003, 02:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Reilly

Temps to high?

Hi Guys, Im a bit off a newbie here.
I have just pushed my Core, and memory clock frequency's up a bit and checked my temps, i am running at GPU Core 70 C, and Ambient 40C, is this too high?
I have no cooling other than stock stuff, Vid card is Nvidea GeForce 5600 Pro running at 325/602.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 5th November, 2003, 05:06 PM
Member/Contributer

Welcome to AOA Forums, Reilly!

Ouch - 70C - too hot to touch, huh? It does sound too high. What are the temps when it is not overclocked? An Ambient of 40C sounds quite high too - try removing the side of the case and see if that helps on the temps.
Old 6th November, 2003, 01:05 PM

ok, not sure about not overclocked temps yet, but at the moment, i have backed it off a bit, and at start up it is sitting at a steady GPU Core temp 55-57 C, and Ambient temp is at 34C... i will reset card to default and get another temp reading. Should the card heat up more when running games? What is a safe temp to run at?
I set the card at auto detect to get the 325/602 setting, and it said it was safe, i guess it assumes that I am using some cooling!
Thanks for your help so far, Much appreciated
Old 6th November, 2003, 02:13 PM
Member/Contributer

I don't really know what a "safe temp" is for your card - honestly I have no idea! I'm watercooling my video card, and it doesn't have its own temperature reading device.

Did you try to remove the side of the case?ยด

And yes, the temperature will rise with heavy use - like gaming, 3Dmark, etc.
Old 7th November, 2003, 09:28 AM

ok, cover is off, and i am sitting around 63C & 38C. I did notice that when i put my hand near the card, it was not hot, i owuld have tought that something that was at 63 C would be hot...
I noticed that it also says: Core Slowdown Threshold 134C so does that mean it will shut down if it gets to that temp?
Old 7th November, 2003, 10:47 AM
AOA Staff

I see you live in Australia, so it's summer there now.

What is the room temperature like in the room the PC is in?
Old 7th November, 2003, 12:19 PM
Member/Contributer

The temp sensor could be off, since you say the cooler isn't hot to touch...

I don't think you have anything to worry about, m8.
Old 7th November, 2003, 01:15 PM

Average daytime temps here is approx 28-32C. I did think that it possibly could be giving a wrong reading, but when i play games or run video's, the temp does rise.
I think i may just live with it for now, it says that it is in the green, goes to yellow on the scale when it goes above 70C.
Thanks for all your help guys...
Now, to figure out how to overclock this computer...
Old 7th November, 2003, 06:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Overclocking the CPU is an entirely different story. Lemme know if you need some help with that!
Old 9th November, 2003, 12:57 PM

I am currently lookin into overclocking the CPU a little.. all i want is to tweak the FSB a LITTLE, only prob is I'm not sure on how to find these setting. Do i need a BIOS editor or something? I have read the articles, and realise what needs to be done, but not sure on how to GET to these settings, once again, any help would be appreciated
Old 9th November, 2003, 02:18 PM
AOA Staff

Before you change any BIOS settings be sure you know how to reset the settings to default via the jumper on your motherboard.

If you press the DEL key whilst the PC is starting up you will be presented with the BIOS menu.
Old 9th November, 2003, 04:07 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Did you install the heat sync on your CPU or did someone else?!?! If the heat sync is NOT hot (or at least a little warm) it could be that it's not mounted correctly.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2004, 12:49 PM

Hi Guys, haven't been here in a while, but still interested in gettin this sucker overclocked...
When i press delete when it's starting, nothin happens... to get to some settings, i press F1 or F10, but can not change any of the settings. It appears they are locked..
This is my system:
Main BoardDescription Your Results
Brand/Model HP Pavilion 06 DB237A-ABG 714a
Type Desktop
Serial Number ******************
BIOS Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.07 11/22/2002
System Board MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6577 020
ProcessorDescription Your Results
Brand/Model Intel Pentium 4
Nominal Clock Speed 2400 MHz
Measured Clock Speed 2400 MHz
External Clock Speed 133 MHz
CPU Load 3%
Speed Rating 4172 (No similar CPU/MHz)
Memory ConfigurationDescription Results
RAM installed 512 MB
Windows RAM 512 MB
Total RAM slots 2
Available RAM slots 0
Max RAM module size 1024 MB
Memory Type 256+256;DIMM,SDRAM,|Synchronous;T16
Speed Rating 5141 MB/s (No similar CPU/MHz)
Old 15th January, 2004, 01:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey Reilly, I see your computer is a HP. Big company computers normally do NOT have O/C options, sorry. Neither does yours, it would seem.

I recommend a new motherboard if you really want to overclock it. Btw, you should check out our folding section, it might interest you - and 2400 MHz isn't bad anyways.

New Member Guide and FAQ (updated 9-09)