AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd November, 2003, 09:41 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Angry 52.16 and 1280x1024

I have a TFT screen that's designed to run at 1280x1024. It's been running fine, until forceware decided to upgrade the display drivers on me. Now, it refuses to run the monitor at anything above 1024x768, which plainly sucks. Telling the drivers to ignore the monitor reveals a number of display resolutions, but NONE of them are 1280x1024.

Any ideas on where to go from here?
Old 22nd November, 2003, 09:46 PM

Should have said - Geforce 4 Ti4200 running under Windows 2000.
Old 22nd November, 2003, 10:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

There should be a box you can unclick which show ALL resolutions rather than just the approved ones.

It's under Monitors:

"Hide modes this monitor cannot display"

But you've probably been there and done that.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd November, 2003, 10:40 PM

Yup, I have, and 1280x1024 isn't one of the modes that shows up. 1024x1280 does show up, but is obviously not quite the right way around.
Old 22nd November, 2003, 11:28 PM

Right, plugging an analog monitor in allows me to choose 1280x1024 and have it work correctly on both monitors.

Unplugging the analog monitor and rebooting leads to it going back to 1024x768, but setting a virtual screen up to be 1200x1600

Oddly, in the "change resolutions" page, it says "Your Flat Panel has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024".

Last edited by Áedán; 22nd November, 2003 at 11:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd November, 2003, 12:23 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You really have to admire the way 2000 allows intuitive access to just oh so many things!

Glad you found your way through the labyrinth! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd November, 2003, 02:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Perhaps you should try downgrading the drivers?
Old 23rd November, 2003, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
Glad you found your way through the labyrinth! ":O}
Changing the settings isn't the issue really, it's actually having the system give me a setting that's correct for my setup! What's really annoying is that if I select "Don't Scale", the video driver will push out a 1280x1024 signal, just with only 1024x768 active.

So, I haven't got a solution yet!

Áedán
Old 23rd November, 2003, 10:27 AM

Well, I gave up. Went back to 41.09, and they work just right. 45.33 seems to behave in the same way as well. This is bad news for those who use DVI-D to connect their monitors. DVI-D is superior to the VGA connector, as the monitor gets a direct digital connection.

That's right, my monitor doesn't support analog at all
Old 23rd November, 2003, 11:43 AM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
That's right, my monitor doesn't support analog at all
Show off!!
Old 23rd November, 2003, 12:44 PM
AOA Staff

Have you got the right driver installed for the monitor?
Old 23rd November, 2003, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Have you got the right driver installed for the monitor?
It's the plug and play driver, which is the correct driver. The older drivers seem to work fine, it's just the newer drivers.
Old 23rd November, 2003, 05:48 PM
AOA Staff

It's the monitor drivers not the forceware drivers which indicate which modes your monitor supports. I have had similar problems before - uninstalling and reinstalling the monitor sorted it out.
Old 23rd November, 2003, 05:56 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Perhaps you should try downgrading the drivers?
I had such a hard time with my TI 4400 and the 52.16. I would get some really weird things going on in my games. Like random polygons and sometime building would disapear, and sometimes the ground would disapear.

A roll back fixed that right up.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 23rd November, 2003, 06:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Can anyone say how the 52.16 work with the 4600Ti?
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 23rd November, 2003, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
It's the monitor drivers not the forceware drivers which indicate which modes your monitor supports. I have had similar problems before - uninstalling and reinstalling the monitor sorted it out.
Indeed, except for the forceware drivers saying quite clearly "Your Flat Panel has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024" - these figures were also in the registry in the P'n'P driver for the monitor.

If I told the drivers not to scale the image, they'd *actually* feed a 1280x1024 image to the monitor, but it was a 1024x768 image with black borders around it. Being a DVI-D monitor, there are no adjustments for image placing as that's all driven by the graphics card.
Old 25th November, 2003, 08:37 PM
AOA Staff

I am using the DVI input and I can replicate this on mine by just changing the settings.

I presume your resolution slider on the standard control panel won't go up to 1280x1024.

The first time I installed 52.16 my control panel was screwed - I could not even get into the nVidia panel.

I rolled my drivers right back, effectively to nothing. Windows then defaulted to the standard VGA driver, then I installed 52.16 and everything was fine.
Old 25th November, 2003, 09:17 PM

Presume you're also using DVI-D then?

The slider only went up to 1024x768. I totally removed the drivers, left it with the standard VGA driver and then installed 52.16. That didn't leave me any joy at all.
Old 25th November, 2003, 09:19 PM

Oh, even unticking the box that hides the display modes the monitor can't handle didn't bring any joy. It did demonstrate a whole bunch of modes that the monitor couldn't handle, but none of these was 1280x1024!
Old 25th November, 2003, 10:02 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Dude! They're out to nail you ass! What did you do!

(I've been practicing blaming the victim as part of my training in the "Art of Moderation and alienation; A key to forum life"

My up coming book scheduled for release in the year 2160.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur