AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2004, 04:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Invalid

Logitech Z-680 and soundstorm

Hey,
Ive recently got some lurvly Z-680 speakers from logitech for a crimbo pressie. Im using them on my Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 onboard soundstorm setup, and im having some problems. Firstly, i wanted to connect them using the analog connections (black, green, orange/yellow wires) so i put black to black and green to green. The only problem is i cant see a yellow/orange plug on my motherboard, so i just put it in the pink one . When i got everything up, i set it to input: direct and effect Music, and everything was fine. When i came to change the effect, however, i found it only uses all the speakers when the effect is either music or movie. If i put it on 6Chnl Direct or stereo, only the sub and two front speakers work (centre channel doesnt). If i put it on Stereox2 all the satallites work apart from centre channel, and the sub works. I cant figure out why it does this, unless its supposed to...but nothing changes no matter which slot i put the yellow/orange plug into

if anyone has any idea what im doing wrong i will be most greatful,

-Ross
Old 3rd January, 2004, 04:07 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

I had a simalar problem while hooking up my Monsoon MH-505 speakers.

I think you're going to either play with it or read the manual. I think the green and black are reversed and the orange one goes to the connector closest to the motherboard on the set of 3 jacks.

I don't have my abit system with me or the manual. What I did was to hook up the wires the way they looked like they should be. Then used the toan test in the soundstorm control panle only to find that my left front speaker said it was center and my right front tried to play a sub wolfer note.

I just used trial and error and the toan test to get all the toans coming from where they should.

I am sure that the jacks you use are the 2 on top and the one closest to the mobo directly below.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2004, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staz
I had a simalar problem while hooking up my Monsoon MH-505 speakers.

I think you're going to either play with it or read the manual. I think the green and black are reversed and the orange one goes to the connector closest to the motherboard on the set of 3 jacks.

I don't have my abit system with me or the manual. What I did was to hook up the wires the way they looked like they should be. Then used the toan test in the soundstorm control panle only to find that my left front speaker said it was center and my right front tried to play a sub wolfer note.

I just used trial and error and the toan test to get all the toans coming from where they should.

I am sure that the jacks you use are the 2 on top and the one closest to the mobo directly below.
This is further confused with the abilty to swap some of the input/outputs over in the driver. Have a look on that for an idea where stuff might go. I've got this to come... should have some 5.1`s on order soon
Old 5th January, 2004, 06:43 PM

hehehe, thanks for your help...ive recently bought and optical cable and plugged it into the PC via that, using it i only get 2 speakers working so either thts the way its menna be, or something is very wrong ...oh well, ill have to make do with the two settings that work

Mercutio - have phun with the 5.1's, these Z-680's from logitech are incredible...loud as hell with clear sound and hugggeeee bass...the only flaw i can find is the slightly annoying hissing sound, which is only hearable from about half a foot from the centre channel though ...

-Ross
Old 7th January, 2004, 12:44 AM
Member/Contributer

Hey Invalid, I've got a similar roblem with my setup! I've got the same board as you and using the SPDIF Optical Output to digital amp and speaker set.
When I first set everything up, about 2 months ago, I could use the nForce Control Panel to switch between 2,4 or 6 speakers and monior the output of each channel as well. It all worked great and sounded good too.
Then, I toyed with the nForce 3.13 Drivers and they screwed the nForce Control Panel right up! Nothing worked, so I formatted and reinstalled, but still used the 3.13 Drivers.
Now, the rear channels only output when certain Environments are used. If I set it to "No Effects" and 4 speaker set up, only the front two work, same with 6 speaker set up! Have you noticed this too?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 7th January, 2004, 07:11 PM

Hey Laz,
I use the latest drivers for my board, i cant remember the version right now, but when i toyed with the control panel it didnt seem to do anything ...the only 2 effects that use all speakers on my system are Movie and Music, any of the others and one or more speakers dont work at all ...i really wanted to get 6 Channel direct working with all speakers cus that looks to be the best surround sound option, kinda has that feel with it when i use that effect, even though not all speakers are working...
At the moment im just sticking to Music effect because i can change various settings like Panorama/Dimension etc...but i thought with the optical cable i would get all the speakers would work because there is only 1 effect on that input - i was wrong

-Ross
Old 8th January, 2004, 04:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalid
Hey Laz,
I use the latest drivers for my board, i cant remember the version right now, but when i toyed with the control panel it didnt seem to do anything ...the only 2 effects that use all speakers on my system are Movie and Music, any of the others and one or more speakers dont work at all ...i really wanted to get 6 Channel direct working with all speakers cus that looks to be the best surround sound option, kinda has that feel with it when i use that effect, even though not all speakers are working...
At the moment im just sticking to Music effect because i can change various settings like Panorama/Dimension etc...but i thought with the optical cable i would get all the speakers would work because there is only 1 effect on that input - i was wrong

-Ross
Hey, I also have the same board, but I have a receiver going to my board using an optical cable and if you don't select "Dolby Digital Encoding", and if you put 6 channel, and put digital output, then all six will work as I toyed with settings and that is what happened to me. I have the latest nforce 2 drivers.
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.