AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd February, 2004, 01:37 PM

TFT buying help

Hi there,

I want to buy a 19" TFT monitor. I need a one that can offer good text, graphics, response time to play games and watch DVDs, (my budget is very flexable).
there is another feature that exist in some of the 20"ers, S-Video and composite Video.
Can someone Recommend a Monitor that offers all of the above Reqs. ?

I dont wanna sound lazy !!
I have done some research, and found that Noveo S-19 has the Vidoe connections that I am after. But my concern is the text display Quality and response to gaming and Watching Movies.

Is there anyone there with such a Monitor to give me a feedback..... or any help on this matter.

Regards
Viper
Old 7th February, 2004, 04:38 PM
AOA Staff

Fast response times can be had on TFTs up to 17", such as 16ms.

16ms is fast enough but not brilliant. The fastest 19" screens are 25ms, so not great for games but fine for DVDs.

Ideally, use a DVI cable between your graphics card and TFT display. S-Video would be good for hooking up a domestic DVD player, video camera, etc.

If you want the best of everything on a big screen you'll be better off with a top end CRT, or if you have just won the lottery get a plasma screen.
Old 17th February, 2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Fast response times can be had on TFTs up to 17", such as 16ms.

16ms is fast enough but not brilliant. The fastest 19" screens are 25ms, so not great for games but fine for DVDs.

Ideally, use a DVI cable between your graphics card and TFT display. S-Video would be good for hooking up a domestic DVD player, video camera, etc.

If you want the best of everything on a big screen you'll be better off with a top end CRT, or if you have just won the lottery get a plasma screen.
For 1" more get a dell 2001fp - 16ms response on a 20" LCD £600 on ebay or £895 new from dell uk
Old 17th February, 2004, 03:30 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercutioUK
For 1" more get a dell 2001fp - 16ms response on a 20" LCD £600 on ebay or £895 new from dell uk
1600x1200 gaming goodness.

That screen is normally $999 in the US. It was just on sale a couple of weeks ago. $899 in the Home user section or $749 in the small business section.

Be sure to check for both as well as stackible cupons and rebates.

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2004, 08:00 PM
AOA Staff

I am suspecting that Philips makes these panels for Dell. They've got my interest, but seeing is believing.
Old 7th March, 2004, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
I am suspecting that Philips makes these panels for Dell. They've got my interest, but seeing is believing.
Yup, these are philips panels. If anyone knows any other panels using these (that might be a little cheaper) please give some models as id be interested to compare