AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th February, 2004, 01:01 AM
Member/Contributer

What 19" CRT?

Its time to change my 4 year old 17" Iiyama monitor and need some advice. I've looked at 17" TFT's and they are just far too expensive. For the same price as a 15"TFT I can get a decent 19" CRT.
I was considering another Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 (£220-240) or a Samsung SM959NF (£200-220). Anyone here got one of these? Which should I go for?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2004, 01:34 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Far from being expert... I've always liked and gotten good service from my Viewsonics
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th February, 2004, 02:39 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Check out the Viewsonic A90f+

I have one and absolutely love it

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 24th February, 2004, 06:51 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I recently (Thanksgiving) purchased a Samsung SynchMaster 955DF at BestBuy for $200. This monitor has a picture that is just crystal. It's pretty no frills, and only goes to 1600x1200 at 70 Hz, but it has a .20 dot pitch, which means it is a REAL 1600x1200 display.

Why is that a big deal to me? Because most 19" tubes have a .22 or .25 dot pitch. That means that each dot on the screen is .22 or .25 mm from its neighbor. Since the 19" is the maximum theoretical diagonal display size, and every tube monitor in existence sacrifices at least 1" of the diagonal for performance reasons, this means that you only have an actual display area of 18" on the diagonal. And this is BEST CASE. Some monitors actually sacrifice as much as 2".

Anyway, if we've got an 18" diagonal, the 3-4-5 rule says that the horizontal will be 14.4" or 365mm and the vertical will be 10.8" or 274mm. With a dot pitch of .25mm, this means that a 19" monitor cannot accurately display more than 1460 pixels horizontal, and 1096 pixels vertical. At .22mm, this improves to 1659x1245.

In other words, under best case conditions, a .22mm dot pitch 19" monitor will JUST BARELY display 1600x1200 accurately and a .25mm dot pitch 19" monitor can't do it AT ALL.

The ViewSonic model mentioned above has a dot pitch of .25 mm, which is why it also has an 'optimal' resolution of 1280x1024, even though it claims to support 1600x1200 and 1732x1344. I'm quite certain that the deflection and video amplifier electronics can handle that, because those things are relatively cheap and easy to build these days. That poor picture tube is being driven beyond its abilities at 1600x1200 or higher.

Edit: I just checked a different web site on the ViewSonic. It has a .21 dot pitch, which puts it in the same realm as my Samsung. I'm not certain why they specify the optimal 1280x1024 resolution.
Old 24th February, 2004, 03:58 PM
Member/Contributer

They specify 1280x1024 as optimal becase it has a max refresh of 80Hz were as at 1600x1200 max refresh is only 68Hz

The picture is brite and clear even at the edges when in work mode. Push the ultra bright button and put it in gameing mode and the picture is about twice as bright and colors are more saturated. Makes for a great gameing experiance. In gaming mode it will hurt your eyes to look at a white page to long and text not in the center 2/3s of the monitor will be blurry. Just hit the button again to put it back in work mode.

It also has some automatic controls that I love. When you install new drivers and the picture is offcenter and to small or to big, it is very easy to fix on this monitor. Hit the center button and it automatically centers the picture on the screen. Then hit the zoom button and it automatically resizes the picture. It has all the manual controls to if you want to tweak ityourself also.

It can be had for around $230 in the US

The Samsung Gizmo mentioned also gets some good reviews. It is in most buying guides for budget and midrange gameing PC guides as the monitor of choice.

Whatever you do make sure that you get a perfect flat tube. The picture is so much better. If you have a tube with curve in it now it may seem a bit awkward at first, but once that wears off you will never go back to a picture with curve in it.

BTW:
View Sonic does not manufacture there own tubes. I would not be surprised to find that it has the same tube as the Samsung in it.

Old 24th February, 2004, 05:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Last I checked, there were only like 4 glass manufacturers in the world.

A picture tube consists of the face (which contains the phosphor, and for color tubes the shadow mask), the bell (the part that attaches the neck of the tube to the face) and the neck with the color guns (the actual electronics).

The bell is pud to build. The real magic is in the guns. I think there are only three or four manufacturers of guns.

Bottom line, no matter who makes the tube, there are only about 12-16 combinations of manufacturers for the real heart of the thing. I don't believe Samsung makes their own guns, although they do their own tube assembly.

I'll tell you how happy I am with my Samsung. I have a 17" LCD. When I bought it, I swore that I would NEVER own another tube monitor, because the display was just that crisp. When I saw the specs on this Samsung, and then saw the picture in person, I decided that having a tube monitor wasn't necessarilly a bad thing. Being a programmer, screen real estate is precious, and being able to go from 1280x1024 (on my 17") to 1600x1200 was a big help. I'm not one of those people who is overly sensitive to the refresh rate (as long as it is above about 50hz), so I always run in 1600x1200.
Old 24th February, 2004, 08:08 PM
Member/Contributer

Thanks for the replies Staz and gizmo. I hadn't thought of the Viewsonics, thanks for the heads up Staz. I cant seem to find the A90F you mentioned, closest I've got is the E92F and G90F, with the E92 being slightly cheaper. The G90F is about £195. I'm also interested in the Samsung's, the SM959NF and the SM957MB but can't decide! I have a feeling its going to be the SM957MB as it has a finer pitch but just doesn't refresh as high as the SM959NF, and its alot cheaper!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 24th February, 2004, 08:25 PM
Member/Contributer

Oh, I could'nt take it much more and ordered the Samsung SM957MB! Thanks Staz and Gizmo for the helpful advice.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 25th February, 2004, 01:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

YEAAAA! I just got my 22" Viewsonic from warranty right after reading this thread's update posts!!! This beauty had the good grace to DIE 6 months before warranty expired!
NEW TUBE!!!

Your Good luck Lazgoat! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 26th February, 2004, 10:47 PM
Member/Contributer

19" Goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
YEAAAA! I just got my 22" Viewsonic from warranty right after reading this thread's update posts!!! This beauty had the good grace to DIE 6 months before warranty expired!
NEW TUBE!!!

Your Good luck Lazgoat! LOL
Wow! This monitor is fantastic! Crystal clear, bright, sharp....I was quite surprised that it turned up so soon, as I only ordered it Tueday night!

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 27th February, 2004, 12:06 AM
Member/Contributer

As long as your happy with it, that's the important thing. I can't believe that some people go out and spend a boatload of money on a computer then they skimp on the most important parts: the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and chair you sit in.

Old 27th February, 2004, 12:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

I suspect that a lot of people skimp on those items because they don't realize how critical they are to a good computing experience. I know <I> didn't until I started using a computer everyday. I actually had to tell my boss that I was willing to buy a 17" LCD for my desk at work out of my own money if he wouldn't before I was finally able to get one.
Old 10th March, 2004, 04:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to barneygumble742 Send a message via Yahoo to barneygumble742

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I recently (Thanksgiving) purchased a Samsung SynchMaster 955DF at BestBuy for $200. This monitor has a picture that is just crystal. It's pretty no frills, and only goes to 1600x1200 at 70 Hz, but it has a .20 dot pitch, which means it is a REAL 1600x1200 display.

i bought the same one last night. i also got the extra service warranty which is well worth it after my crappy 17" malfunctioned straight out of the box and i was too lazy to take it back within the 3 years.

i like this monitor a lot. getting it out of the box was a pain however. to me, the choice was between this and a nec multisync at circuit city for 260 (before extra service warranty). i asked about the multisync and the dot pitch was like .25. and immediatley i went back to the store and got this.
32in + 24in LCD
Old 10th March, 2004, 04:51 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I have 2 samsung 955's. I bought them for my kids, with no regrets. Since they are young, and they will have a lifetime staring at these artificial images, I wanted high quality, and minimal eye strain... They are heavy, and bulky, but I love the picture.