AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th February, 2004, 09:18 PM

lousy benchmarks GeForce 4

I have the MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200, 8X 128mb video card. I just reinstalled windows, updated my Forceware drivers and ran 3DMark03 and 3DMark01. Both scores were lower than I had achieved on my previous mobo which was an MSI. I now have the Ausus A7N8X. My scores were 1408 and 8912 respectively. I'm new to tweaking. Any advice for a neophyte how to get the scores up? Also, what is AGP sideband addressing?

Window XP
SB Audigy
512 megs DDR RAM
AMD Athlon XP 1700+ running at 1.5
Old 27th February, 2004, 03:12 PM
Member/Contributer

Hey, welcome to AOA!

What kind of score decrease are we talking about here?

Did you try using the latest Detonator drivers for the video card?

Were you overclocking the video card, by any chance?

Sidebanding:
http://www.strathfield.com.au/glossary.asp?

http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk...=G&glossid=135
Old 4th March, 2004, 02:20 AM

wel u could start with overclocking your CPU and GFX..

i use a GF4ti 4800se ..Gainward an i have 16300 points..in 3dmark 2001se

very overklocked

GFX : : 350\650

cpu : : P4 2.8c @ 3.5ghz on 250 FSB
Old 4th March, 2004, 03:31 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Is it a VIA chipset?!?!? Got the lastest 4-n-1 drivers?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2004, 06:14 AM

No, it uses the nVidia chipset. I just got the latest Forceware from nVidia before i did the benchmark tests. I am interested in overclocking but have no clue as to where to begin. Is there an FAQ somewhere?
Old 4th March, 2004, 03:54 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Well you can start here or do a search here
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2004, 02:25 AM
AOA Staff

The first thing you will need to do is enable the hidden overclocking feature in the Forceware driver this is known as 'cool bits'. A google search will lead you to info on how to do this.
Old 5th March, 2004, 06:24 AM

Ok, but bear with my noobiness here... isn't it dangerous to the system to start overclocking without putting in safety mechanisms? I don't want to burn out any thing or overheat.
Old 6th March, 2004, 06:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorybow
Ok, but bear with my noobiness here... isn't it dangerous to the system to start overclocking without putting in safety mechanisms? I don't want to burn out any thing or overheat.
Maybe somehow in the 3d card drivers you had an option different and when you updated it changed to an option that it's making it slower. PLay around with the options in your forceware drivers
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Old 6th March, 2004, 08:43 PM
AOA Staff

Extra heat only becomes an issue when you increase chip voltages. You can safely increase the speed of your 3d card without fear of it cooking. It will run a little warmer.

Did you find out how to enable the 'cool bits'?
Old 6th March, 2004, 11:16 PM

Yes I did get Cool Bits running, but increasing the core clock by 10 only bumped up my 3DMark01 score by 4 points. I did not mess with the memory clock. I am so new at this.
Old 6th March, 2004, 11:23 PM
AOA Staff

Increasing the graphics memory speed will help. The way to do it is to make small increases and the run 3dmark01. Keep an eye on the visuals, because if you go a little to high you will see odd artifacts on the screen. Such as white pixels where there should be none.

You can't damage your card by overclocking it a little. The reason why the overclocking features are hidden is because MS will not certify drivers with overclock features, they don't like it.