AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th March, 2004, 01:11 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

gf2 mx400 (agp) or gf4 mx440 pci

okay the gf3 ti200 in my 2nd rig has gone fzzle melt. i think i buggered the gpu up a bit by overclocking the FSB.

the 2 spares i have are:

64MB gf2 mx400 agp or
64MB gf4 mx420 PCI

since the pci bus is used for soundcard and network card which is needed to connect to the internet thru this computer to play the game i was wadnering if i should just use the gf2 mx400, as its the same chip anyway

for those that suggest i just buy a new card or 2nd hand card..
Just send me a few hundred pounds (GBP) and i will see to it.
I have at my disposal £0.20 (GBP)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2004, 02:59 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Postaldave Send a message via AIM to Postaldave

i would say use the agp

as it's there for a reason.... and yes the pci card is slow as hell....

besides I ran counterstrike fine on a gf2 mx card for a long long time

postal
Phaustus - 60 Troll Shaman
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th March, 2004, 05:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to marcofra2000

The AGP card is faster. I had a 3dfx voodoo 4 4500 and tried both PCI and AGP and the PCI was like 10% slower. Then I saw a review long long time ago and saw AGP cards are faster than PCI as there is higher bandwidth coming through.
2x512 Ballistix DDR PC-3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Maxtor 80 gig
Antec 430 Watts
Onkyo HT-S760, 750 Watts.

Opinions are like butts, we all have them and they all stink at one time or another. But when people's butts stink we don't go around cleaning them, so please don't tell people that their opinions stink.
Old 16th March, 2004, 12:44 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

well i have a voodoo 5 5500 but it doesnt like dx8 games..
like Earth and beyond... i was playing that when the monitor just lost the signal, smelt a burning.. i will go with the mx400 agp card. thanks

is there anyway to underclock this gfx card with the latest set of drivers? i used to use the coolbits, but i dont think it works with the more recent drivers

underclocking isnt a must, i can still play earth and beyond with the processor running at 66mhz fsb, 924 mhz... this way i dont have to cannibalize by liquidation pc .

i could be mean and take back the family comp's gf4 mx440 but thats just being mean.

however sometime in the future i might get a new gfx card for my main rig and put the gf4 ti4200 into the 2nd rig.