AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2004, 03:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nate-X Send a message via AIM to Nate-X

3dmark 2001 keeps locking up on me.. =/

Well, just redid my system. Have both my 100gb and 200gb on a Promise tx2 ide card. Installed the latest nforce 2 drivers and am running 43.03 detonators on my pny geforce4 ti4400.. When 3dmark 2001 se gets to the nature portion it locks up about 75 percent of the way through. My temps aren't insane (like 105) and I am not over clocking. I am running goback in the background though.. should I exit out of that before I bench? I'm also using an Enermax PSU that I never used before this. The voltages look fine.. but could a psu cause lockups in benchmarking?

Oh yeah.. I'm running a non oc'd Barton 2500+ on an Epox 8rda3+ motherboard with a gig of pc3200 twinmos bh5s..
Old 24th March, 2004, 03:49 AM

Bah.. this system is also locking up on me as well.. for no particular reason.. wasn't doing anything.. came back it was locked up. Could it be the psu or the pci ide card?
Old 24th March, 2004, 05:00 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Why are you running the Promise?

In general, I have not had good luck with the Promise controllers, and I have experienced precisely the kinds of problems you are describing.

First thing to try, though, is making sure you have the latest drivers for your Promise. If that fails and you can run those drives on your regular IDE bus, I'd try that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th March, 2004, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Why are you running the Promise?

In general, I have not had good luck with the Promise controllers, and I have experienced precisely the kinds of problems you are describing.

First thing to try, though, is making sure you have the latest drivers for your Promise. If that fails and you can run those drives on your regular IDE bus, I'd try that.
Before I was running on Abit Serillel2 Adapters.. and before that I was using a promise raid card.. hehe also had the occasional lockup.. pc would go to sleep.. but not come up. It was also using an Antec Truepower 550 (not the Enermax 365 Modded like I am now.) Are there any particular hard drive settings in the bios that need disabling?

The reason I'm using the card is because I have a dvd/rw, a cd/rw and 2 hard drives and only have 2 controllers onboard I really should get sata drives bleargh.
Old 24th March, 2004, 03:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-X
Are there any particular hard drive settings in the bios that need disabling?
Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate-X
The reason I'm using the card is because I have a dvd/rw, a cd/rw and 2 hard drives and only have 2 controllers onboard I really should get sata drives bleargh.
Hmmm.................I see. Well, you could try running the two ide drives on one controller and the two burners on the other. Not an optimal configuration, but it should at least tell you if the problem is being caused by the Promise or not. I still think you should try getting the latest drivers and see if that has any effect.

Also, are you OCing at all? Like maybe the FSB? I realize you said your Barton is not OCed, but I had to ask.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 24th March, 2004, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Not that I am aware of.

Hmmm.................I see. Well, you could try running the two ide drives on one controller and the two burners on the other. Not an optimal configuration, but it should at least tell you if the problem is being caused by the Promise or not. I still think you should try getting the latest drivers and see if that has any effect.

Also, are you OCing at all? Like maybe the FSB? I realize you said your Barton is not OCed, but I had to ask.
Nope.. all bios fsb and voltage settings are default. In every instance of problems seems to be maybe a 3rd party problem (raid card, sata adapters or pci card) so hopefully that is the problem.) Ill update the bios and drivers for the card tonight and see how it goes.. thanks.