AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th March, 2004, 07:09 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

9600 np overclock

I went out and bought a sapphire atlantis radeon 9600 np 256mb just because it was on sale(i went for processor and ended up with both). . When i got home i checked out the serial number and memory as i had heard rumors of getting pros in np boxes. Althoughit was not a pro, i was pleasantly surprised by the 250mhz samsung memory chips, instead of the standard elixir mem. i also noticed that the heatsink was the ne fron thr creative model, connected to the gpu with push pins and thermal grease,not glue! I loaded up the omega drivers and riva tuner and overclocked to 450 core 250 mem and got 4816 in 3dmark03 with 2400+ on am37 board and 512 mb pc2100 mem...not bad...however..on third run throughtest i had real bad distortions, so decided to use an old cpu fan from an athlon and used a small drywall screw to secure it to the heatsink..and now have it solidly clocked @ 400core 250 mem and have been running atitool for over 2 hours now with no probs....once i add a second fan for the backside i am sure i can reach if not beat the xt speeds for gpu(same unit) however i think just under 300 for the mem is the max as it is tsop.
Old 26th March, 2004, 07:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

ram sinks be care full don't hurt the card or u end up like me card lest and waiting
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st March, 2004, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman
ram sinks be care full don't hurt the card or u end up like me card lest and waiting
i have already taken that step...i think i may start a thread on the overclock and mod, as when i pulled off the heatsink i was presented with a processor labelled "radeon 9600"...not "rv350"....but"00351ss"
The core had been lapped, and on the processor was artic silver 5, by the silver test i did. It's funny too... the memory is true 250mhz 4ms memory...the same chip will do 300, but the "official" 300mhz has a slighty faster refresh rate(.5 ms) @ the same voltage. With all of this in mind, it seems as though this card was MEANT to be overclocked...i managed to find reference to a 351 gpu that was supposed to replace the rv350 for the 9600, however i have not heard of a "ss" model, nor were the predictions of the clock speed anywere near what i was able to obtain (450mhz stable for over 5 hours in unreal2003 with 4x AA and 16x AF... i backed it down to 378gpu 249.8 mem(pro gpu speed) and am now 24 points shy of 3000 in 3dmark03.
Old 2nd April, 2004, 03:39 AM

Arrow 9600xt sapphire 256mb ????overclock how?HELP

I have a dell 2.8 1G of ram sapphire 9600 256mb tried to get more fps in ut2004 I found driver 4.3 and rivatuner and trun it up but no more fps why??/?? refresh rate at 85 what am I doing wrong in english if you need more info about the computer tell me where to look I am new at this had it only 5 months HELP
Old 2nd April, 2004, 03:48 PM

are you usind the catalyst drivers? Try the omega drivers or 3.2,3.4 or 3.7 of the ati catalyst drivers. none of the 4.x series allow overclocking.
listen...i've change the video card's setup as i was getting supreme graphic data errors due to overheating. i've gone with self.made heat sinks that were applied with thermal tape temporarily(i could find no stores here in EDM with real memsinks) and a blue orb fan. i've managed to get it extremely stable @ 242 mem and 378 gpu....i can't seem to get them mem higher, and have just started pushing the gpu, however i won't go too far until i can get an accurate temp reading @ the gpu...anyone got a sensor that they wanna mail me? i've also taken a northbridge cooling fan and attched it to the back side to get airflow there. I am using a modified(slighty) emachines case...glad i got rid of the POS mobo that was in there!
btw, if you would like a walkthrough of how to set up a mod, let me know and i'll add athread. I took pics with my cheesy webcam as i was making the mod.