AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th April, 2004, 05:35 PM
Member/Contributer

FX5900 to 5950 flash? How? Why?

IDK if this has been posted here or not...
I found this little trick online and I did it about 4 or so months ago. Basically when they released NV38 it was a scaled up version of NV35, with some other small changes. What does this mean? Well fortunatly it means that a 5900 will take a 5950 bios flash!

You might ask, why bother doing this? Well heres two reasons I found:
1.) If you can't already adjust your voltage it adds a little bit more voltage so you can overclock more and more stable.
2.) On stock cooling the card runs cooler. Wait this doesn't make sense? Actually what happens is because the fan is variable speed anyways(when in 2d mode it clocks down to 300 or so and the fan slows down). When you flash the bios it speeds up the fan automatically!

How to?
Basically you need to search online and find the list of cards that are compatible with the flash. However I didn't know, and I dont think I still know, what the ACTUAL manufactorer for my card is(its a gainward now :P). Once you have that list find the gainward bios flash. At this point you have to learn how to flash bios's and I recammend finding a PCI video card, or learning your onboard.

Now go flash the bios! I recammend using the NVFLASH tool to do this as I was unsuccessful with another tool. If the flash doesn't work, you can either try to do a blind flash(good luck...) or slap ur monitor on ur PCI/onboard and try to flash it that way.

I gotta say though it may not be saveable once you've flashed over the bios and I don't assume any responsibility for you messing up your equipment by doing this.

If the flash took and it was the right one on boot it will say "Geforce FX5950 256MB" etc when the video card bios runs. Now you should be able to edge just a little bit more GPU core and memory outta the lil bugger! I got my core to 523 stable no artifacts because of this. It moves up the core's unO/Ced freq to like 475 I think and memory freq to 950. My memory now runs at I think 1.05(1053mhz) on my video card. I hope this helps!

For instructions and bios flashes search for 5900 to 5950 bios flash and you'll get a lot of results on how to do it and where to get the bios!

OH and if you think this more likely belongs in hardware hacking feel free to move it there I wasn't sure where to put it :-[
Old 30th April, 2004, 06:10 PM
AOA Staff

What are your findings with regard to drivers? Have you been able to upgrade them without any bother?

Which vendor made your FX5900?
Old 30th April, 2004, 06:42 PM
Member/Contributer

The drivers from nvidia and guru3d simply give the release number and say for FX chipsets, if the are that picky! Just select the Forceware chipset and the OS and you're good to go!

Like I said in my initial post to this day I don't know for sure who made it, I got it on Ebay in OPEN box just listed as GeForce FX5900, However I searched the serial codes and one was for a gainward bios, however the card looks nothing like the gainward version of this card. It looks like a VGA(the company) fx5900. I assumed the gainward flash would work because supposedly it came with a gainward bios on it(i assume as much)
Old 30th April, 2004, 06:57 PM
AOA Staff

I only asked because I looked in to this before - I never did it because some people were saying that they were having problems with drivers after flashing. Their problems may well have been caused by something else.
Old 30th April, 2004, 07:00 PM
Member/Contributer

Well all I can say is like every other thing in this regard, I don't recammend doing this because you can(and therefore will) mess up your $200+ video card. But I do recammend it because you can improve your $200+ video card to a more than $200+ card's performance(almost).
Old 30th April, 2004, 08:52 PM

so where r the albatron FX5950 bios.............thats what i need
Old 30th April, 2004, 10:28 PM
AOA Staff

See here:
http://www.ocforums.com/archive/thread/268279-1.html

Says:
"I'm using the Nvidia reference 5950 bios v4.35.20.35.08 with great results on my Albatron 5900EPV."

At your own risk!
Old 30th April, 2004, 11:40 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

the only problem that comes with flashing bioses on video cards is the fact that not all manufactureers use the same board layout. Something as little as one resistor in a different place and you have screwed your card until you can flash it back( if your lucky).
i've done the video bios flash a few times on different cards, and on ati9500's had lots of success. but you do have to be careful.
Old 1st May, 2004, 02:40 AM
Member/Contributer

i haven't had time to go online to find that site with the bios's but if your up to it and in a hurry I am pretty sure that gainwards works with lots of boards. I think albatron is on the list, however if you wanna find it soon you might have to search it, its finals week and Im a bit busy .
Old 10th May, 2004, 12:56 AM

Talking flashing..

Hi,

XeroHour I had seen this info b4 and was considering flashing my FX5900 , but I have a reference Nvidia card..there are no company decals on it. Should I just use the reference 5950 BIOS to flash ? where did u get a list of flashable cards ?

Thanks !
Abit NF-7S Ver 2.0 Bios 23 , Barton2600 xp-m @2.60ghz(FSB 200@13.0x ) 1.95 VCore ,Asetek KT03 kit , 1GB Winbond PC3200 CAS 2.0, Nvidia FX5900 Ultra @478/908 ,2x80gb Seagate Barracuda V SATA RAID 0 ,Creative Audigy 2,Sandra PR3528,3Dmark v3.04 6106.WinXP Pro Sp1 5.1.2600. Prime95 stable.

New sys AMD SD3700 , 1GB OCZ 4200 Plat Ver 2.0 , DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR, MSI 6800GT, OCZ Modstream 520W , Audigy 2 ZS, all going to be frosted in a Mach2 GT Prommy :-)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2004, 01:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Looking at this from a risk vs. gain point of view I can't see why anyone would risk it unless it came from a highly trusted source. But that's just me...
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10th May, 2004, 04:24 AM
Member/Contributer

again all things modifying a computer are risks, and its the risk that in the end provides the thrill and feel of accomplishment :P. Besides I'm to understand that you can use a PCI video card to reflash your bios back to the old one, and you SHOULD BACK UP YOUR OLD BIOS BEFORE YOU FLASH! I cannot stress that enough.

Ok heres what I did. I looked at the compatibilty list which I may post here soon if I can find it. My card wasn't on the list. I wieghed my risk and grabbed my handy pci video card and slapped it in. Then I went through the following steps: (note: download a flashing utility like NVFLASH or WFFLASH AND PUT IT ON THE BOOT DISK)

1.) Download a bios, I believe I used a Gainward 5950 flash(type it into any search engine). I'm reading that http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guide...A380U_BIOS.zip is a working bios on most cards...yes its linked from another forum, but they posted it right into thier forums.

2.) RESET YOUR VIDEO CARDS CLOCK SPEEDS TO STOCK >:O

3.) Next make a DOS boot disk. You can find your local XP machine to do this :P right click on the floppy drive and go to create dos boot disk. Then unzip the file to the disk, if you need rename the bios to something with a short name so its easy to remember.

4.) Boot into DOS with the boot disk.

5.) you should be at an A:\ prompt. Type WFFLASH S (for WFFLASH). Find the same backup command with NVFLASH if you're using that. It might be "NVFLASH ?" to get the command list. This backs up your bios for you. It should put "oldbios.rom" or something like that on the disk.

6.) To flash it type in WFFLASH <name of bios> without the <>'s. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE THIS FINISHES!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE THIS FINISHES!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE THIS FINISHES!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stress that enough either. Whats happening is the Bios chip is "flashing" itself, by writing to the ROM chip on the card. The ROM chip contains the basic instruction commands for the card, like your motherboard. Anyways the screen SHOULD flicker or it might appear to lock up. The program I used has blinking text and I think a progress bar so you know if it locked up. If it appears locked up then wait like 10-15 minutes just to make sure. If it succeeded it will let you know by saying Flash complete or Flash taken (1) or something like that. Then reboot and when the video card posts(firs thing) it should say "GeForce FX5950 256MB" blah blah blah. Go check the temperatures(should be lower) and the clocks(should be higher). A lot of them say that it clocks up to 510/550 or something like that, mine is 475/480 or close to that, its up, but the fan speed controller sped up the fan and it clocked better/more stable. It adds more voltage to the card's GPU.

From the other forums I snagged alist of bios's and company's. Thank extremeoverclocking.com for them! It even has more indepth instructions on a website:

5950 Flash instructions:http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guides/5900_Flash_Mod/
(Just replace the Leadtek 5950 bios with your card's own manufacturer's 5950 bios)

List of 5950 bios files:

ASUS: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...6868#post866868

BFG (475/950, VIVO works): http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...4642#post834642
See my post here to get VIVO working for the BFG 5900: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...7036#post837036
My original BFG 5900 bios: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...8196#post848196

eVGA: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...2187#post862187

Gainward (at website): http://www.gainward.com/f-2-1.asp
Gainward (others): http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...1391#post841391

Gigabyte: http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Support...V-N595U256V.htm

Leadtek: http://www.leadtek.com.tw/support/d...p?pronameid=329

MSI: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...0505#post820505

Nvidia 5950 Reference Bios: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...2126#post862126

PNY: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.c...3290#post853290

Mavke's Nvidia BIOS website: http://www.mvktech.net/download.php

my card is a VGA 5900(I think) and I used either the gainward or the bios I posted in the beginning of this post, which is a leadtek bios.. I'm reading LOTS of success with this, and I got it off with no problem, and I've never flashed before. However heres something I'm reading...if you have VIVO / TV out you stand a good chance of losing these because some bios's are for cards without them.

Neoprene- there should be some stickers on your card like mine had and you can type the numbers on them into a search engine. Mine turned up a gainward card bios(which it can't be because of the cooler on it...) so I assumed if it worked with a gainward bios before it should again right? Of course making assumptions.....well ya know

Hope this post and the links get you started. All I can offer as advice is just before you do it (AFTER BACKING UP YOUR BIOS) take a moment and reflect and ask yourself, if this messes up my card for good, is the gain worth the risk I'm taking? Is even a 20% chance it will fail big enough? But keep in mind it's probable that you can REFLASH it to the right bios, but theres no promise. Good luck!

Last edited by XeroHouR; 10th May, 2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 10th May, 2004, 04:26 AM
Member/Contributer

as a matter of fact heres the guide and reasoning why you should do it that I used.

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/guide...5FFlash%5FMod/
Old 10th May, 2004, 04:42 AM
Member/Contributer

oh and heres what I dont get. Now, and maybe before I flashed my BIOS, when I use Riva Tuner/Geforcetweakutility/CoolBits/Powerstrip, after setting my core speed, it ignors me and won't set it to what I tell it to. It goes to 379 and just stoped there. The ram changes up to 1050 or w/e I tell it to, but the core just wont change! Sometimes... usually after a few restarts it allows me to. I've noticed sometimes if I really push the core like 515 or so it clocks it down and locks it. I'm pretty sure this is a thermal protection I dont know how to disable, but it doesn't explain why I can't clock it off a fresh restart/cold sometimes... we'll see when I get my water cooling system on it if it does it again. Ideas?
Old 14th May, 2004, 07:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks for that extensive info , Xero :-) I have an fx5900 ultra 256 meg, from what I can see the BIOS flash sets the basic clock speeds of the RAM etc at a slightly higher level. Nice ! I dont have a PCI gfx card tho..will scout around for a cheap one on Ebay ... I`ll let u know if I go ahead and flash ..seems safe enough !
Abit NF-7S Ver 2.0 Bios 23 , Barton2600 xp-m @2.60ghz(FSB 200@13.0x ) 1.95 VCore ,Asetek KT03 kit , 1GB Winbond PC3200 CAS 2.0, Nvidia FX5900 Ultra @478/908 ,2x80gb Seagate Barracuda V SATA RAID 0 ,Creative Audigy 2,Sandra PR3528,3Dmark v3.04 6106.WinXP Pro Sp1 5.1.2600. Prime95 stable.

New sys AMD SD3700 , 1GB OCZ 4200 Plat Ver 2.0 , DFI Nforce4 SLI-DR, MSI 6800GT, OCZ Modstream 520W , Audigy 2 ZS, all going to be frosted in a Mach2 GT Prommy :-)
Old 15th May, 2004, 07:18 AM
Member/Contributer

excleent I hope to hear good things

I'm not sure if flashing it flashes to the current active video, but if you go to flash with the pci video card plz make sure u set it to PCI active first! that way it will go to it and you wont have to reset your bios to make it turn on. Also make sure its all underclocked and everything and you should be good to go. I encurred only one problem with mine, the flash wouldn't go with one flashing tool. Went off without a hitch with the other, so if you fail the first time, try the other tool. GL