AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May, 2004, 02:06 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Gf4 Ti 4200 Vs 5900xt

Hello guys,

My question is: if I buy fx 5900xt will it make a big difference in games over ti4200 or not?

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th May, 2004, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

yes, the 4200 is a great card, but is only dx8 were as a 5900xt is dx9. even your dx8 look better with a dx9 card, i went from a 4200 to a radeon9700pro and it made a huge difference and a 5900xt is a faster card than my ati
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th May, 2004, 12:41 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Hang tight, the FX range prices should crash soon.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:02 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hope springs eternal! ":O}

Have a 4600Ti, want a $500.00 card for $50.00, this may take a while! ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 6th May, 2004, 01:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Let me talk to my buddy, Guido. He may be able to get you something. 'Course, you might have to do him a favor in return at some point.....
Old 6th May, 2004, 01:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

In my experience, once it falls off the truck, it has limited value! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 6th May, 2004, 05:28 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

Hi guys,

Nice of you to give me some ideas and the big news is that tommorow I'll borrow one FX 5900 from a friend. I will see if it's friendly towards my computer and I'll let you all know the bench results.

2 * SEAGATE 80 GB 7200RPM STRIP
TI 4200 128MB CORE @ 295 (I STILL LOVE THIS CARD)
1 LG DVD , 1 SONY CDRW
1 BELINEA 19" 1280 / 85, 1024 / 100
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Old 6th May, 2004, 11:41 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Don't forget us Chris! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 7th May, 2004, 09:15 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

I cannot forget, and I am very pleased with what I have seen. Once I installed the Palit Daytona FX 5900 XT I run several benchmark's. Here is what I got:
1. 3dMark03 5475 with a little push for the core from 400 to 466 and the memory at default (700 Mhz)
2. Aquamark default bench with application control enabled 46500
3. 3DMark01 14332
Game 1 - Car Chase - Low Detail 204.9 fps
Game 1 - Car Chase - High Detail 68.0 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - Low Detail 266.6 fps
Game 2 - Dragothic - High Detail 149.9 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - Low Detail 187.7 fps
Game 3 - Lobby - High Detail 83.5 fps
Game 4 - Nature 85.6 fps
Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1492.5 MTexels/s
Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 3090.4 MTexels/s
High Polygon Count (1 Light) 89.2 MTriangles/s
High Polygon Count (8 Lights) 26.3 MTriangles/s
Environment Bump Mapping 217.1 fps
DOT3 Bump Mapping 220.3 fps
Vertex Shader 152.4 fps
Pixel Shader 200.4 fps
Advanced Pixel Shader 112.8 fps
Point Sprites 32.2 MSprites/s

and I was expecting more from 3dMark2001.

What is really the top of the cookie is that Far Cry is running like Quake3 on Ti 4200!!!! with everything at very high in 1024/32 and almost perfect with the same at 1280/32. Painkiller is also not having any dificulties when 20 or 80 or 100 monsters appear and there is also a lot of smoke and fire, it really rocks!!!
Guys for 200$ you can have all this. Don't want to tell you about Colin 04 in 1280/32/full details or NFS Under running in 1280/32/full because I think you can imagine how it's working. There is just one question; if this card run so well what will happen with the next generations and how nice the next generation of games will look and feel? Guys please feel free to share your ideas about all this.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Gf4 Ti 4200 Vs 5900xt-xt5900.jpg  

Old 7th May, 2004, 09:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to purplemohawkman Send a message via Yahoo to purplemohawkman

i know all to well about colin mcrae 04 and NFSU with a card like that, then add my logitech MOMO wheel and logitech z-5300 thx speakers. shall we say sweet meats!!
-160gig WD sata, 80gig WD SE, 60g maxtor,
-x800pro w/ Graph-O-Matic Rev2 H20 block
-logitec z5300 5.1
-Chieftec Matrix full tower w/ Antec True430
Old 7th May, 2004, 09:43 PM
Benchmarker

Well I think here you beat me, I know Momo it's the best, but I will not feel shame since I am using Logitech Formula Force GP and 4 speakers 3 ways 130W real !!!

Old 7th May, 2004, 09:45 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Front page for you my man!

http://www.aoaforums.com/
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 9th May, 2004, 01:58 PM
Benchmarker

Hello guys,

I run into a bit of trouble as I am adapting to my new card.
After reading a little bit about what is the best way of overclocking 5900 XT I found out that coolbits it's no longer the best and yada yada here it is:

"3.3. What overclocking utilities work best of all with the 5900XT?

There’s no difference which utility you use. The latest RivaTuner (RC14.3NY) usually handles this job right (earlier versions don’t allow overclocking a 5900XT-based card). If the results of RivaTuner seem too low or there are any problems, try PowerStrip. Don’t forget about the division of the frequencies into 2D and 3D – you should only increase the 3D clock rates. Usually, you don’t run into any problems at overclocking. It is only not recommended to use NVIDIA’s driver for overclocking (CoolBits) – it doesn’t work correctly, often reducing the possible results. This especially refers to the AutoDetect function that you’d better leave along altogether.

3.3.1. RivaTuner doesn’t change the GPU frequency at overclocking. What to do?

General advice: check out the version of the program. RC14NY works excellently with the 5900XT, while earlier versions do not. Sometimes the reported problem happens with the latest RivaTuner: the program still shows 300MHz GPU frequency after you have confirmed the frequency change. In fact, the frequency did change (in accordance to your settings) and you can notice it in any test, but RivaTuner itself sometimes fails to detect the change. But it’s all right, don’t worry! "

Well what I found out after installing this RIVATUNER is that I have no access to the frequency sliders because it's says "Access to this feature is purposely blocked to avoid interference with Geforce FX specific dynamic driver level clock frequency adjustment"

I mention that I have installed an older driver 53.03 which is known by this late release of rivatuner. Either I am stupid or the guy who recomended rivatuner didn't know what he was talking about. Can anyone make some light in this matter???

Thank you guys,

Chris

Last edited by chrisbard; 9th May, 2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10th May, 2004, 08:38 AM
Benchmarker

Red face

Hello,

Nobody knows? ...Chris take a brake, you don't need to overclock that monster!!!
Ok, thank you Chris!

Case closed !!!

Me

Old 10th May, 2004, 11:22 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbard
you don't need to overclock that monster!!!
Dude, Don't do drugs. What were you thinking?!

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 10th May, 2004, 11:27 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Wrong! I'm nobody and I don't know! Wait...there may be other nobodies who do know! I guess they just don't like you! Sorry, I felt it best that you have all the facts! ":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 10th May, 2004, 12:55 PM
Benchmarker

Chris you'd better stop laughing or you'll die. My stomach ache. It's not from the drugs Pitch !!! LOL

Chris

Old 24th May, 2004, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to scottman Send a message via MSN to scottman

pitch it just u are a crazy overclockers man
it's like a drug to u lol
ATI HIS 9800 Pro IceQ BRAND NEW CARD REPLACED
120 gig Sata 80 gig ATA
Logitech Z5300
Housed in Thermaltake Xaser III 2000A
550 watt Antec True Control