AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th May, 2004, 04:39 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

ATI to keep the crown?

From what I've seen yes.

Kudos to both ATI and NVidia But I've got £300 aside for a X800xt.

560Mhz Core
1.12GHz Ram

I bet this overclocks nicly.

9800xt anyone?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2004, 07:28 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

At $500.00 bucks a pop, they can keep the crown! What's a poor boy to do? ":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th May, 2004, 08:49 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Look for a 9800xt going cheaply?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 4th May, 2004, 09:06 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Poorer than that, as in broke and hopeless! LOL
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 5th May, 2004, 03:31 PM

Very interesting review at HardOCP. I noticed that the new nVidia card seemed to have better average frame rates on all the DX9 games in the first series of tests. I wonder what the benchmarks on HL2 and Doom 3 are going to look like?

AOA Team fah
Old 5th May, 2004, 05:48 PM
AOA Staff

Hardware Analysis have benchmarked both cards. In terms of FPS they are evenly matched in most tests. The nVidia card wins in some. According to their findings nVidia has the edge.

Pro's for the 6800:
Slightly faster than the X800 in some tests.
Handles openGL better.
Driver support is better.

Con's for the 6800:
Needs lots of power.
Runs hot.
Big card.

The X800 is smaller, uses less power and runs cooler.

The difference in FPS is not really that important becuase your eye will not see it.

I think this is good news for everyone because the two cards are incredibly fast are almost equally matched in FPS. So, it's just a case of choosing the one you prefer and no-one will be disappointed.

I can see that some people will go for the X800 because they would have to buy a new PSU for a 6800.
Old 5th May, 2004, 07:00 PM

The biggest thing about the X800 is that it still uses 24-bit textures instead of 32 - which means the card will not be DirectX 9.0c compliant, much less DX 10. Further, the the X800 does not support Pixel Shader 3.0 - nVidia's 6800 does. As for the power requirements of the 6800, Tom's Hardware tested with a 420 watt PSU and had no issues at all, even though the requirements call for a 480 watt PSU. I suspect that many of the manufacturers of the 6800 will come up with single slot solutions, just as they did with the FX cards. If I was looking for a new high end video card - and I am not at the moment - I would wait until ATI releases the R480 chip, and compare that to what nVidia has on the market at that time. If I had to buy today, I would go with the nVidia card because it is ready for DirectX 9.0c - at least until Microsoft changes the requirements again . The one other issue I would like to point out is that if you are running games that use OpenGL as opposed to DirectX - for me flight sims like IL2:FOrgotten Battles come to mind - the nVidia card has a clear performance lead over ATI in this area . This isn't suprising, from what I have seen OpenGL performance seems to hinge on core and memory clock speeds, and the nVidia cards typically have an edge is this area. From everything i've read, the difference in image quality is practically non-existant, which is good news for everyone! I personally think the ATI cards will have more room for overclcoking, and thus most members of the forums here will likely be best served by going with the X800.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th May, 2004, 05:29 AM

Dangit, I always say that wrong - ATI uses 24 bit floating point precision instead of the 32 bit precision the nVidia uses. The intent is the same, the ATI card can render a little faster because it isn't working quite as hard.

AOA Team fah
Old 11th May, 2004, 05:50 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
Dangit, I always say that wrong - ATI uses 24 bit floating point precision instead of the 32 bit precision the nVidia uses. The intent is the same, the ATI card can render a little faster because it isn't working quite as hard.
My understanding is that 32 bit precision allows more acurate calculation of polygons and therefore more life like 3d models. However, I do remember reading something about nVidia's 32 bit cards not handling 24 bit as well as we might like. Whether this situation still applies to the new 6800 cards I don't know. It is my guess that very few games currently under-development will use 32 bit precision.
Old 11th May, 2004, 07:57 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

new new new new new new new.........when they release a card for less that 200 US that is the top performer i'll be interested....when you can buy a whole system, printer and all, for the same price as some of the cards, i just gotta shake my head. It's great to see the way technology is advancing in terms of speed, but nvidia and ati still haven't really addressed the issues of multiple display the way i would like to see. 3 19" monitors give you an almost 180 degree field of vision, and if the major manufacturers started producing cards capable of doing this reliably, i'll spend 700 on a card. Video games, to me, are interactive stories, where you get to be the hero, and while detail down to a ****roach's hairs are fine and dandy, i'd like a more immersive experience.
Old 11th May, 2004, 08:36 PM
AOA Staff

For that fully immersive experience just plug the video cable in to that socket on the back of your head.
Old 11th May, 2004, 08:44 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

We won't tell them it doesn't connect to ANYTHING!":O}
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 11th May, 2004, 11:39 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to dpgdog187 Send a message via MSN to dpgdog187

Talking ATI has it in the bag

I will grant Nvidia that fact that as of the current time they are pushing the better card but realistically look and Microsoft and ATI in the future. We all know that next generation consoles will most likely be pushed by ATI gpus plus with the expansion of pcixpress and agpx ATI will have to market a better technology. Also looking at current price scales the difference isnt really a big deal. The 6800 serier cards are going to go for a little less then the 9800 series did when it first was relesed plus as of the current time the ATI 9800 series cards are cheaper and you get a free copy of HL2. I dont care what anyone says, sure Sierra backed out on ATI but they cant reissue those cards so anyone who grabs one will gets a copy of what will probably be the hottest game of the year (pending on whether they actually release is sometime soon). Anyway, I myself pinched my penny bank and caved on a 9800XT and have no regrets, sure it may not perform as wel but still a card as powerful as this one deserves some recognition. In the future I may move on to Nvidia but as of the current time ATI is my company of choice.

If anyone has any doubts on the ATI stuff check out any XBOX forum on the web the blueprint for XBOX2 was just release and the card in their would kick the 6800 series in the but.

Last edited by dpgdog187; 12th May, 2004 at 12:05 AM. Reason: I'm goofy
Old 12th May, 2004, 12:23 AM
AOA Staff

It seems that right now nVidia are covering the upper end of this new card market and ATI are covering the lower end. Maybe, this is ATI's tactic to try and harm nVidia sales by pushing out a lower priced card against the more expensive 6800.
Old 15th May, 2004, 09:34 AM

6800 may support PS 3.0 BUT what kind of performance hit will we see when its implemented ? will it make it as wortheless as the shaders on the GF3 ?

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Old 16th May, 2004, 03:32 AM

Also worth noting is ATI's driver support which is now superb, i hear the newer Nvidia releases are slowing down the older cards?

Also what ATI have done is tweak the R300 to the max with the x800 series, when the newer R500-R600 series graphics cards come, prob about the same time as dx9 and if not then by dx10, we'll see some real performence boosts.

Hats off to ATI i say.

Athlon 64 3700+, Shuttle sn95, 1gb, nvidia 7600gt

----old-----
xp1700+ @ xp2600 (12.5*166 / 1.6v), epox 8k3a+, TwinMos + Geil 1.5gb ram, Ati radeon 8500 128mb