AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2002, 06:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Cyberey66

is my geforce dead

I posted this in 2 other forums, no luck, if there is any. Well I had a geforce 256, and it died when switching from full screen mode back to regular. Well, well it would boot windows, but it showed green lines and other stuff on the screen. I uped the cooling to a Gorb, it accually seemed to help. Well heres a screen shot of the card, notice the dots, well thats after the gorb, it seemed to do better. Maybe there is a voltage mod or somthing I can do to the card. It seems like it could possibly survive, I just need to know how it died. Anyone ever see anything similar? I'll try anything basically. If cooling helped, maybe something can fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
is my geforce dead-video.jpg  

"skin and tragedy are the ways to attract a crowd"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2002, 09:00 AM
Banned

Think God's saying "New card buddy."
Old 21st January, 2002, 09:03 AM

I have a new card, it's just it would be cool to do somthing with this one.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2002, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

little too much overclocking maybe? lower it a bit and see if it helps.. I think this could be a case of pixel noise if its an overclock..
Old 21st January, 2002, 05:18 PM
Member/Contributer

My GeForce 256 DDR does the same when I overclock it too much. When I lower the speed the lines disappear...
Old 21st January, 2002, 08:00 PM

My matrox G400 went a bit like that after long term memory overclocking.
The effect stayed even after I dropped the memory speed.

Although it looks like the card is damaged check your monitor cable and reseat everything just to be safe.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 21st January, 2002, 09:06 PM

Yea, it looks like the distortions you get when you clock your memory to high. I could try getting a bios editor, and changing the clock speeds for the ram to run lower. Then flash the new bios. Maybe if I stick on some ram sinks.

Old 21st January, 2002, 09:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to ItHuNkPuNk

Quote:
Originally posted by satan
Yea, it looks like the distortions you get when you clock your memory to high. I could try getting a bios editor, and changing the clock speeds for the ram to run lower. Then flash the new bios. Maybe if I stick on some ram sinks.
Water-cool it!!
Old 21st January, 2002, 09:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to mrpcman

Quote:
us a sw video overclocking utility from aoafiles.com and try to decrease the speed that way before going through the trouble of a bios editor.
Old 21st January, 2002, 10:33 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

My take on this is that either you have a problem with the AGP interface between the card and the computer, or a memory problem between the Geforce controller and the memory on the graphics card.

If it's a problem with the AGP on the card, try removing it, and then reseating it, as a poor connection or oxidisation can cause difficulties.

As many other people have posted, overclocking beyond the abilities of the card will often cause problems like this. Generally it's overclocking the memory that causes them though. If you're not overclocking, and you've still got these problems, then seriously consider getting a new card.

Doing things like upping the voltage *might* help for the short term, but you're likely to find that the card dies sooner rather than later.

AidanII
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:13 AM

low tech answer...

remove all cards and ram blow the dust out and reinstall

had the same problem once

fer 47 years ive been seeking a balance in life
and I’ve been from one end to the other
i may be getting close
Old 22nd January, 2002, 02:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by kat
low tech answer...

remove all cards and ram blow the dust out and reinstall

had the same problem once
Good house keeping can sometimes do more than a remodel!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 22nd January, 2002, 09:01 AM
eobard

Looks like simple artifacts to me. I suggest you de-overclock the memory on the card (maybe not completely, but at least a bit). If the card is running stock like that....

.... newegg.com?
Old 23rd January, 2002, 01:24 AM

The card was accually never overclocked. Not even once. I think it could be do to the small ass stock hs/f. It was 45mm X 5mm heatsink with a 45mm X 6mm fan, and my fanless gorb gets really hot with that chip. That's the only thing I can think of. I saw someone with a new geforce 3 that suffers from the same exact thing as me, but that was because a cap. fell of his. You think I could have killed one somehow?

Old 23rd January, 2002, 03:25 AM

Quote:
The card was accually never overclocked. Not even once. I think it could be do to the small ass stock hs/f. It was 45mm X 5mm heatsink with a 45mm X 6mm fan, and my fanless gorb gets really hot with that chip. That's the only thing I can think of. I saw someone with a new geforce 3 that suffers from the same exact thing as me, but that was because a cap. fell of his. You think I could have killed one somehow?
It could be something like that.

This dificulty will be in finding out whats broken, if anything.

If none of the other tips work (reseat, clean or overvolt) then your probably looking at a dead card.

You can get a equally performing geforce2 for not too much cash there days, unless your tempted by the high framerates of a redeon 8500

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 23rd January, 2002, 03:32 AM

I have a radeon VE now (didn't know it was horribly neutered). I'll try to find a place that says how to add volts. Hey, it's worth a shot.