AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 27th May, 2004, 05:41 PM

Alienware ALX concept

http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/main_content.aspx

Double you graphics power. Alienware just got super serious.

Athlon 64 3700+, Shuttle sn95, 1gb, nvidia 7600gt

----old-----
xp1700+ @ xp2600 (12.5*166 / 1.6v), epox 8k3a+, TwinMos + Geil 1.5gb ram, Ati radeon 8500 128mb
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th May, 2004, 01:19 AM

Good lord, thats some serious power!!
Old 28th May, 2004, 05:54 PM

looks impressive - just a shame that it will be a proprietary solution from Alienware. I doubt they will make their motherboards available to us

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 28th May, 2004, 06:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Yeah. It's really not a new idea, though. Remember the 3dfx Voodoo 5500? It had 4 GPUs on the same board, all working in tandem. And there have been other solutions that slaved a second video card. If memory serves, there was at least one old VESA VGA card that had a way to allow you to slave two cards together.
Old 28th May, 2004, 11:05 PM

Giz - think you were thinking of the Voodoo 6, but you are dead on target about the concept. The Voodoo 5 card actually had 2 gpus. The Voodoo 2 accelerator cards had an SLI bus that allowed you to connect 2 of them together in a similar fashion. Maybe we will see the industry adopt the concept. Or maybe we will just see 24X or 32X PCI Express - if I understand correctly the initial PCI Express graphics cards will be 16X.

AOA Team fah
Old 28th May, 2004, 11:20 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

just wait until some of the other mobo manufacturers come out with a strikingly similar product.
Old 29th May, 2004, 12:29 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

in one of the old family comps here theres a voodoo card and a matrox card, not sure what they do exactly, i think the matrox adds to the processing or memory of the other im not sure the person who gave it to us said that it was for photo processing or something.
Old 29th May, 2004, 01:18 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

great.
now we have to buy 2 vid cards for an upgrade.
so now 1000 for a good card or 600 for low-level.
this sux.
Old 29th May, 2004, 04:38 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanenwindrift
Giz - think you were thinking of the Voodoo 6, but you are dead on target about the concept. The Voodoo 5 card actually had 2 gpus.
Or maybe we will just see 24X or 32X PCI Express - if I understand correctly the initial PCI Express graphics cards will be 16X.
I might have been; I'm getting senile in my old age.

Yes, the initial PCI Express video cards will be 16X, AFAIK. Question is, how many mobos will let us have two 16X slots?
Old 29th May, 2004, 04:53 AM

piccoLEW - the Matrox card was likely doing all the 2D work, and the Voodoo card was probably a Voodoo2 doing all the 3D rendering. It was a good system for the times - and you could hook in a second voodoo2 to boost gaming even more.

AOA Team fah
Old 29th May, 2004, 05:06 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via Yahoo to Staz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
great.
now we have to buy 2 vid cards for an upgrade.
so now 1000 for a good card or 600 for low-level.
this sux.
I think it is moke like: Spend $350-$400 on 2 9600 pro equivlents and oc em to 9600 XT specs and blow away a $500 9800xt.

Or spend $1000 for total bragging rights (cause we need to play games at 1600x1200 with 16x AF and 8x AA)

What goes in a computer? Click me to find out.
Old 29th May, 2004, 05:17 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

if my 9600 had mem that would do xt speeds i'd be set then.. only one card i'd need then....
gotta have then best looking system..lol..that goes without saying. Fortunately my friends all have kids and have as little money as i do!
Old 30th May, 2004, 06:22 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to piccoLEW Send a message via MSN to piccoLEW Send a message via Yahoo to piccoLEW

hmm imagine to voodoo 6 cards.. 8gpus all working away nicely
Old 30th May, 2004, 06:44 PM
AOA Staff

I did have 2x Voodoo 2's working in tandem, some years ago now.

« 3dmark | memory »