AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2004, 07:54 AM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Unhappy Fx5900

Hello guys,

Question: The cooler on my vcard on the upper right side is not making contact with 4 bga memory chips. (I have to mention that the card has no issues other than that) It is away by one mm. If I put my fingers and get the card and the cooler togheter the force I must use isn't great. What can I do to have them united? Is this a case of possible rma? I have 4 memory chips cooled and 4 not cooled. I will not buy again palit. I have another friend and he has to put a pencil to push the card up in order to work without artefacts. But that is, I am now stuck with this one, can anyone help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I have a little time I'll make some photos tonight and post them.

Thank you guys

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2004, 09:14 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Post some photos - it's probably a bit easier to figure out the best way of dealing with it like that!
Old 1st July, 2004, 09:19 AM
Benchmarker

Thanx Aedan for helping, I will post them 7 hours from now.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st July, 2004, 02:06 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Precise..

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 1st July, 2004, 02:49 PM
Benchmarker

LOL Pitch, I just finished a phone conversation and i think I let my card wait a little bit I got something more important to do tonight...a date or something like that, but in 12 hours precise the pictures will be there.

Sorry for the delay...LOL

Chris

Old 1st July, 2004, 03:01 PM

Sounds far more important than a graphics card... Just hope you enjoy it!
Old 1st July, 2004, 03:47 PM
Member/Contributer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Sounds far more important than a graphics card...
Amen to that!
And about those pictures.. we want pictures from the date as well!
Old 1st July, 2004, 08:20 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Amen to that!
And about those pictures.. we want pictures from the date as well!
You voyeur!
Old 1st July, 2004, 09:59 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

LOL, guys you are the greatest, I had so much fun tonight way beyond what I imagine and I wanna thank you all for being sports. Memories for a lifetime. Forget about my card, go get yourself a nice deserved sleep and maybe tommorow I'll post those photos.

I didn't take any pictures tonight but I'll have some new taken photos anyway.
And you guys are so fun that I think as a reward to let you try to discover
1.the wife
2.the long time friend
3.the new friend and the one that dated me tonight

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Fx5900-dscf0034.jpg   Fx5900-phto0024.jpg   Fx5900-cu-overclock.jpg  

Last edited by chrisbard; 1st July, 2004 at 10:15 PM.
Old 1st July, 2004, 10:47 PM

I'm confused here. Which picture is which?
Old 2nd July, 2004, 07:48 AM
Benchmarker

Well Aedan I can say that it's all about the picture with the score, but then I would be lying wouldn't I ? :0)

Old 2nd July, 2004, 02:24 PM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Did you submit your picture to our folding collage? (sp?)

If I remember correctly Marcofra2000 has one these cards. Also if you can't get a picture of your card I have taken some of his card and posted, so you can find those pix (or I will later) and use that to illistrate the problem you are having.
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Old 2nd July, 2004, 06:52 PM
Benchmarker

Hello guys,

I have taken several pictures but the vivicam 2.0 mpixels is just too stupid to give me crisp clear pictures. One or two are acceptable the other are %!$#@$@. Let's see if anyone can see anything:
Attached Thumbnails
Fx5900-frontview.jpg   Fx5900-palit.jpg   Fx5900-videocard.jpg  

Old 3rd July, 2004, 04:53 AM
Member/Contributer

make/find a thin piece of copper, apply thermal compound to both sides, slide it in ghetto, but cheap.
Old 3rd July, 2004, 05:06 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Looks like it's got a slight "bow" to it. I would take it off and "bend" the bow back out. That "should" take care of your problem.
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd July, 2004, 08:01 AM
Benchmarker

Rob I totally agree with you but I tried to take it off and it wouldn't come off. Should I use more force? I pull out the two plastic that are fixing it to the card and then pull gently but with no luck. What should I do now???

Old 3rd July, 2004, 11:04 AM
AOA Staff

Throw it in the freezer for 20 mins and try again. (place it in an anit static bag first)
Rob
AOA Team fah
Old 3rd July, 2004, 07:11 PM
Member/Contributer

might be smart to let it cool off before that too, condensation
Old 13th July, 2004, 09:15 AM
Benchmarker

Red face

Hello,

I didn't have time to do that experiment until last night (I change my job!!!) and I did take the cooler off but only to see that is so badly shaped that I can't do anything about. So I called a friend that has a similar card that has errors and we'll change the coolers before he will RMA his card. What do you think of that?

Thank's guys!

Chris