AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th July, 2004, 04:00 AM

Thumbs up GForce FX5900 Albratron..more stable when overclocked.

this is very strange to me....i bought a gforce fx5900 "albratron gigi" to replace my ti4600 a couple months ago.
i was having crashes maybe once per week was was very annoying but i just dealth with it.

i got powerstrip and overclocked it about two weeks ago and since then.....i have had no crashes, no lock ups....no problems whatsoever. My computer just seems to keep going like an enegizer bunny.
is this normal for ur card to run even better and more stable when overclocked.

stock speeds in 3D are "core clock frequency=405 Mhz"
"memory clock frequency=810 Mhz"

OverClocked @ "core clock frequency=456 Mhz"
"memory clock frequency=914 Mhz"
(GPU-Core 53 degrees celcius) (ambient temperature 39 degrees celcius)

heres a link to the exact card i'm using "http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=323316"

my conputer specs are
tyan dual motherboardboard with dual athlon mp2600 barton core
1gig ram
liteon 8x dvd burner
liteon 52x cd burner
pioneer 16x dvd rom
seagate barracuda7200rpm 120 gig harddrive and ibm 7200rpm 30 gig harddrive
500w powersupply
soundblaster audigy 2 platinum
Attached Thumbnails
GForce FX5900 Albratron..more stable when overclocked.-my-video-card-gforcefx-albatron-5900.jpg  

Last edited by michealwolfe; 6th July, 2004 at 04:17 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2004, 04:56 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

When you say crash, did it occur in games/apps exclusivly or when not running anything?

If it was the game/app only, did it lock up your computer, restart or just close the game/app?

Seems odd.

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th July, 2004, 09:10 PM

just regularly running, i'd get the "blue screen of death".........therefore i'd have to reboot.
i'd also get it when i'm doing alot of stuff at once, like extracting a hugh rar file, and using mirc and surfing the web at the same time.
mainly when i'm multitasking it would happen.
Old 6th July, 2004, 09:16 PM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwolfe
just regularly running, i'd get the "blue screen of death".........therefore i'd have to reboot.
i'd also get it when i'm doing alot of stuff at once, like extracting a hugh rar file, and using mirc and surfing the web at the same time.
mainly when i'm multitasking it would happen.
Are you sure it was the Vidcard causing those crashes? Because t doesn't sound like it. Are those Athlons overclocked?

XBL/PNS = neolad
Old 6th July, 2004, 10:41 PM

these r athlon MP2600.....they cannot be overclocked...or better yet the board doesn't allow it.
Old 6th July, 2004, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

If ur feeling balsy you can flash it to 5950, like I and others have done. This made mine much more stable, and also overclocked far more stable.
Old 7th July, 2004, 12:07 AM

"VGA FX5900 497Mhz 1.02Ghz memory with 5950 bios flash"

wooooooo son, that is some serious overclocking.

hit me up with all the files i need and instructions.....i'm interested in trying that
Old 7th July, 2004, 01:38 AM
Member/Contributer

ha im having a hard time reading that not as sarcastic... the core is up from 475mhz which is up becaues of the flash, thats quite some bit. the memory i dont really remember how low it was before. On air it helps because it speeds up the fan(since its variable speed) and it adds more voltage from what i read.
I've actually not been able to go higher because its in loop wiht my CPU and the cpu is heating the water enough to keep the cpu nice and warm. Same temp as my Thermaltake Giant III. I'm sure more flow and different order would help, but temp isn't holding it back im pretty sure. I've maxed the voltage and still gotten artifacts at the same speed as the voltage below it, and its not caused by heat I'm pretty sure. 515/1.023 is the highest I've been, worked for a day now it puts out artifacts unless at the speed in my sig. Helped my benchmark scores a bit too.

FX5900 to 5950 flash? How? Why?

thats my thread on it if you wanna actually try it. But PLEASE make sure you read everything on there, including all my warnings, because its a lot to consider really!
Old 7th July, 2004, 07:08 PM

i'm not being sarcastic to lol, and definately gonna try it.
Old 7th July, 2004, 10:51 PM
Member/Contributer

yea i didn't think so but every time i re-read it, it had a sarcastic tone in my head. I guess thats how I really would say it
Old 8th July, 2004, 03:09 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroHouR
...it had a sarcastic tone in my head.
People underestimate the importance of body language and facial expression in communication. Things like this are the whole reason smileys were invented.