AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 19th July, 2004, 05:31 AM

Help with a 9800 pro upgrade

Hello all! I need some info on how to remove the heatsink from my 128 ram, 256 bit card. On my old 9200, there are 2 pins, that when pushed in, have an arrow shapped peice of plastic, that you squeeze, and they pop out. The heatsink was still suck on! How is the 9200 sink staying on?

I ask this because I was just testing on my old card before I try to mod my new 9800. My Sapphire 9800 has 2 black pins on springs that appear to hold the sink on. When I press on the pins, nothing moves! I have the VGA silencer comming in this week, and need better cooling. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, I am not afraid to just cut off the plastic tabs to free the stock heatsink, I just do not need a new paper weight right now!

Thanks for any and all info!

E
Old 19th July, 2004, 03:16 PM

For my 9800pro when i removed the stock HSF you just push those fittings through the hole with like a pen or something then pull it right off. The resistence you are feeling could be caused by the thermal paste sticking. I also have the 9200 and it's the same thing. Maybe turn the card on and and let it run a little hot to maybe loosen up the paste?
Asetek Waterchill Antartica
2x512 OCZ Platinum LL pc3200 @2.6v
2xSeagate 80 gig SATA raid-0
ATI 9800pro (460/800)
SB live 5.1 (old)
Pioneer 16x DL+DVD burner
Dell M992 19"crt 1600x1200 .24dp

Soon to be added

ATI x800XT-PE

Server
P4 1.6
Dell 4550
80gig IDE
512mb DDR PC-2100
Windows Server 2003 EE
[url=http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=45]
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th July, 2004, 05:55 PM
AOA Staff

its just the goop holding it on there... try twisting it a few degrees.
Old 19th July, 2004, 06:45 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

the 9200 i have had thermalpaste cooked so hard that i literlly had to chip the paste off...so you can imagine the tension. the 5 or so 9800's i've played with all had rather loose heatsinks, but they were all brand new. just pop the pins and give a slight tug...
don't forget to remove the shim after!
Old 19th July, 2004, 11:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to Razorfish

Isopropyl is great at getting old crusty thermal compound off, plus its completely save to use on ESDs (in this case your Graphics processor) and it wont damage the silk screen on the PCB. Sack off the old paste for Artic Silver 5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th July, 2004, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the replies! One more question...

Hey Karbon86- When I push down on the pins holding the heatsink on the 9800, they do not move, even when using a pen and pushing pretty hard. On my old 9200, the pins move in without much force at all. The heatsink will rotate a few degrees, so I do not think it is held on by anything more than the pins.

I am leary of using more pressure on the pins, because of possible damage to the board. Does anyone have any ideas on this? The only way I can see to get it off would be cut the bottom barb of the pin. Any and all ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

E
Old 20th July, 2004, 03:43 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

uh...simple answer:

use needlenose pliers...the very small variety...squeeze the cliptogether before you push...or just cut 'em off. you'll get more with whatever it is that you buy for your card..and if you make your own, your way better off with screws,nuts, and washers anyway.
Old 20th July, 2004, 04:17 AM

So just do it then!

Ok, when I get my VGA Silencer in, I should just (carefully) cut the old one out! I am sorry about being a bit paranoid about this, but I cannot afford a $199 paper weight.

But from what I have seen, I think I will borrow a pair of pliers from work, and remove the offending, non performing fan and heatsink, and get on with my upgrade!

I appreceate the quick, informative responces.

E