AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:27 PM

80x cdwr

my mate says he sells 80x and 120x cdwr drives
is this possible (i thought they only went up to 52x)
also he sells 24 dvdrw drives (i also heard somware thet u cant get abouve 16x on a dvd rom drive)
whats going on!!
Old 22nd July, 2004, 09:59 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Most CDs won't withstand being spun at 80x, and practically all CDs will suffer irrepairable damage at 120x.
Old 30th July, 2004, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Most CDs won't withstand being spun at 80x, and practically all CDs will suffer irrepairable damage at 120x.
he now says that it writes to more than 1 place at a time (two lenses?)
Old 30th July, 2004, 03:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

That would be an interesting feat to pull off. Generally there's only one optical sled, so the benefits of using two beams to write would be a bit limited, as the head would require constant repositioning to ensure that both beams hit somewhere that hadn't already been written.
Old 31st July, 2004, 07:33 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

we had a thread on this just a while back...but if you go to powerlabs (try google) there is a engineering student who spun some cd's using a dremel.....
ever notice that you can buy 52x players, but not 52x cd's? i guess they found that cd's spinning faster than 48x had a tendancy to explode inside the drive pecause of inperfections in the plastic that causes the disc to wobble @ high speeds...even some stories of the foil (where the data is actually contained) flying off.

so with that in mind..i don't think your friend got his info from a reliable source.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 12:35 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via AIM to RussianMissile1

actually, i have seen a real 72x cd drive.
if i remember correctly, its box said that the drive used 3 lasers to read off of the disk, enabling more data to be read, while the disk itself spins slower.

btw, a 1-laser 52x drive spins its cds at 30,000rpm, even at this speed, some low quality cds will shatter.

btw2: has anyone ever seen the discoverychannel series "Myth-Busters" concerning this topic?

as for the dvd drives, you can go above 16x for them, its just that since all cd drives are still based on ATA33, you cant transfer faster than 33 megabytes/sec while using this interface. 16x almost reaches the limit of this interface, about 24megabytes/sec.

Last edited by RussianMissile1; 3rd August, 2004 at 12:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!