AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st August, 2004, 03:12 PM

RADEON 9800 XT 256MB AGP 300watt???

I have only a 250 watt power supply, will that screw the card up?

can I get a 300 watt external & dedicate it to the RADEON 9800 XT 256MB AGP?
Old 1st August, 2004, 04:36 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

I would tend to suspect that you don't have enough power. Are you running the machine right now? Is it stable?

The answer is yes, you can (in theory), but you have to tie the ground wires together between the two PSUs and rig them up so they both start at the same time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2004, 04:50 PM

the machine runs fine it just scored a 1402 on pcpitstop. Here is what I have.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ********
System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 06
System Model DA239A-ABA 6470NX NA910
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.10, 1/9/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name ****\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 297.27 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.35 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Old 1st August, 2004, 07:12 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i have an asus 9800 pro, that is really an xt...board gpu, memory, and all. in my system with 2 optical drives, 1 60, 1 80 gig 7200 rpom drive, sb audigy ls, 5 smartfans, one iceberq pro (northbridge cooling) and the rest is in my sig...requires more than the 480watt thermaltake butterfly that ihave installed...to the point that i have had to lower my daily overclock to 3200+ speeds to keep stable.
so... i would say 350 is not enough.
althoug.. i have generic "350" psu that actuall has a stronger 12v rail than my thermaltake, and THAT psu was ok, as all these things i have use the 12v rail. this is what reall makes th differnce.
as well, you really want to have your vid card plugged into your 12v line without anyhthing else plugged into the same cord, or you will experience EMI artifacts if it's plugged into anything with a motor. this behavior affects overclocking, and ocz has recently released some power dongle extenders that will remove this interference.
Old 1st August, 2004, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
I would tend to suspect that you don't have enough power. Are you running the machine right now? Is it stable?

The answer is yes, you can (in theory), but you have to tie the ground wires together between the two PSUs and rig them up so they both start at the same time.
do you think you could throw up a drawing on the forum of this giz....rememeber i mentioned that i wanted to do thids before, but i have found out that it is not as easy as i thought...and seeing how your like the resident electronic expert...pleasse help! my 12v rail drops to 11.2!
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:35 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ummm...........it's pretty simple, really. Just take one of the drive connectors from each of your PSUs, cut the connector off, tape off the red and yellow wires so they don't short to anything, and solder the two black wires together from each psu together with the black wires from the other PSU.

Now, this only works if you are using one PSU to power one set of devices and the other PSU to power the remaining devices. If you want to actually run the two PSUs in parallel across the same set of power wires, that is a whole 'nuther critter. I've heard tell that you can do that as long as the two PSUs have the same power rating, but I'd hate to try it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:47 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It's actually much more important that the PSUs provide an output that is very close to each other. That's because there's no load balancing system in place, short of the PSU that outputs the higher voltage taking the majority of the loading.

Putting an active load balancer in place wouldn't be too difficult. You'd require some form of current sense on the output of either PSU. This can then be used to feed back into the error amp in the switching controllers to increase the output from the switcher that's lagging slightly. That keeps the two units closely matched in power output.
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:51 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Putting an active load balancer in place wouldn't be too difficult. You'd require some form of current sense on the output of either PSU. This can then be used to feed back into the error amp in the switching controllers to increase the output from the switcher that's lagging slightly. That keeps the two units closely matched in power output.
Sure, but that also requires you opening the PSU, hacking around in the guts of the thing, and having enough of a clue about how switchers operate to be able to sus out what to modify, and how much feedback to provide.

That being said, it is sure as heck the only way I'd want to attempt to gang two PSUs together.
Old 1st August, 2004, 10:54 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Well, ok, that makes some assumptions about the technical level of people, but I don't think that's entirely unwarrented! It'd also be nice if PC PS units had a remote sense instead of doing it at the PSU end...

Balancing the output by ensuring the PS units are very close in output voltage, and letting the wire resistance do the rest is the poor man's solution.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 01:16 AM

so i can just connect the 4 black wire pasically and the second will turn on?
i just want all of my fans (9) on a seperate psu... i'm pretty sure that it's emi affecting my overclock on my vid card. i want to get all the motors off that psu.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 03:09 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No, you will still have to slave the second PSU into the system. The easiest way to do this would be to simply splice the #PS_ON line from the second PSU into the #PS_ON line from the first PSU.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 04:05 PM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via MSN to alexkerhead

It looks as if he has a P4 B there(correct me if I am wrong)
With that you will have an extra connection (aux) on the board, and if the power supply has that is is most likely able to handle extra stuff..
Question: Is it a dell or something?

AOA Team fah
Old 3rd August, 2004, 04:28 PM

It's that simple giz? just the one line? do i need to splice in a ground too? ya would think so! i'ce got to go get a new webcam or something so i can take more pics..(kids destroyed the last 2 )..maybe we need a thread here on how to do that.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 05:13 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

No, no, NO! I guess I'm not making myself clear.

You've got to tie at least two of the ground lines between the two PSUs (the black wires, which are easily gotten at on the drive connectors) AND you've got to tie the #PS_ON lines together so that they both start and stop at the same time.

Since you've already tied the two ground lines together, both PSUs have the same idea of where ground is, so you don't need a signal ground for #PS_ON.
Old 3rd August, 2004, 06:35 PM

got it now...lol thanks...was in too many peices for me to understand lol