AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th August, 2004, 10:55 AM

AIWs >>> 9600 or 9600 XT

What is the difference between the
ATI AIW RADEON 9600 Video Card (128MB DDR) and the
ATI AIW RADEON 9600XT Video Card (128MB DDR)?

Is it solely the speed of the DAC and memory? Also, the XT has an FM tuner, so I suppose ine could do direct to digital w/o an extra conversion step.

Would the non-XT be fine for my purposes?

I am not a gamer and would primarily be using it as part of a living home theater rig I'm thinking of converting one of my PC's to.

Would I be losing out on much by not going with a 9800 Pro AIW? What does one gain with that card over a 9600?

Is there any reason to even think about the X800 line, for my purposes?

145 vs 179, $$ wise.

Thanks for any insights.

Scott
Old 11th August, 2004, 05:25 AM

Smile

If for some reason you are adamant that you must purchase an ATi AIW card then I would put it to you that the 8500AIW DV (I have one) has all the features present in the more recent AIW card versions (except perhaps for an FM tuner) bar the improved 3D gfx performance (meant for games).

If you are not a gamer then I would argue its safe to say the difference in GPU ability is a non-issue.
Moving up the scale of ATi model numbers should secure improvement in 3D processing performance above anything else.
The more powerful ATi cards require more power to drive their ever hungrier GPU & RAM chips.
If you are only interested in 2D & video performance then perhaps you would get more features for your money by sticking to your current GFX card & buying a dedicated TV / Radio digitising card intended for this purpose.
The cards you mention are aimed primarily at the 3D & gaming markets.

Conclusion
The 9800PRO AIW & X800 introduce no features of interest for those seeking to build a featured 'living home theater rig.'
It would be to your benefit to spend a large amount of the budget on a good surround card & speaker solution as well as the Video digitizer & radio card.
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th August, 2004, 02:42 AM

"If you are only interested in 2D & video performance then perhaps you would get more features for your money by sticking to your current GFX card & buying a dedicated TV / Radio digitising card intended for this purpose.
"

okay...

Such cards as...?
Old 12th August, 2004, 02:45 AM

Also, if I was wanting to play some DX 9 required games then what?

I'm not anti-gaming, by any means, I just have never gotten around to playing yet.
Old 12th August, 2004, 02:50 AM

ah...
Which games?
It would help to define what is requisite & what is overkill.
As to what tv / digitising cards.. I have never looked into this area thoroughly. Look for articles (google) on home theater/tv rigs PCI cards etc.
I can't do your homework for you .
Needless to impart,
I want my money back...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!