AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd September, 2001, 02:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Phiber Send a message via AIM to Phiber

sound card

should i get the new Audigy or get the Santa Cruz
i need a new Sound Card
XP 1800+
[color]
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2001, 06:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via AIM to William

hmm, the best cards that I know of out there are the Hercules, the SB Live! 5.1, or the decked out Phillips sound card.

Allied Sites Support Team - Content/Design (director)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd September, 2001, 07:20 AM
Banned

Besides my feaky issue, I'd have to say the Santa Cruz because, for one, it was 59.99 at compusa this week. Also is 24 bit. The line in is awesome, on the soundblaster card it stunk!!! The software's handy and seems to run all my audio files flawlessly (say bye-bye to those via chipset issues).
Old 23rd September, 2001, 08:38 AM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

depends how serious you are about audio.. the santa cruz is kickass for general use, and it's a great price. the audigy, however, has set a new standard in non-pro sound-cards, and is much better than the sblive!. plus it has onboard fire-wire! how's that for a cool add-on!

personally, i'd pay the extra and go for an audigy!

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 23rd September, 2001, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by proze
depends how serious you are about audio.. the santa cruz is kickass for general use, and it's a great price. the audigy, however, has set a new standard in non-pro sound-cards, and is much better than the sblive!. plus it has onboard fire-wire! how's that for a cool add-on!

personally, i'd pay the extra and go for an audigy!
well i have 3 huge speaker and 2 10 inch Sony Xplod subwoofers connected to my SBLive!
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 23rd September, 2001, 04:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to proze

okay....

Duron 600@1102 (105*10.5), Asus A7V, 256MB generic RAM at 140mhz 2-2-2, MTS Glaciator II, Creative GF Pro, Awesome no-name 300W PSU.
Old 23rd September, 2001, 06:43 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Re: sound card

Quote:
Originally posted by phiber
should i get the new Audigy or get the Santa Cruz
i need a new Sound Card
Audigy seems to be interesting, I'm sure that Creative should have made sure this time that it won't conflict with any chipset other than 443BX.
Old 23rd September, 2001, 06:45 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:

well i have 3 huge speaker and 2 10 inch Sony Xplod subwoofers connected to my SBLive!
I see loads of americans with all these big-time speaker setups - I personally prefer a small digital Cambridge soundworks 5.1 arrangment.

Loud is not all that it is about i'm sure.
Old 23rd September, 2001, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c

I see loads of americans with all these big-time speaker setups - I personally prefer a small digital Cambridge soundworks 5.1 arrangment.

Loud is not all that it is about i'm sure.
i dont do it loud i want to feel the music...literally
i like trance and techno so u get an idea
XP 1800+
[color]
Old 23rd September, 2001, 07:20 PM
Pixel Slave to Satan

But as a drum and bass enthusiast Digital is the only way to go for real quality audio. That's what sound cards are good at. Why have a sound card convert audio to analog to be output to speakers when it can transmit pure dolby digital to a crossover that amplifies it.

Digital rules !!!
Old 24th September, 2001, 04:39 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:

i dont do it loud i want to feel the music...literally
i like trance and techno so u get an idea
You wouldn't have a delta in your box would you?

SteveI
Old 24th September, 2001, 04:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by wild_andy_c
But as a drum and bass enthusiast Digital is the only way to go for real quality audio. That's what sound cards are good at. Why have a sound card convert audio to analog to be output to speakers when it can transmit pure dolby digital to a crossover that amplifies it.

Digital rules !!!
Great point, maybe I'll invest in a nice Klipsch setup... the 2.1 has digital out (my setup doesn't warrant surround sound for $100 more).
Old 24th September, 2001, 05:23 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinky

Great point, maybe I'll invest in a nice Klipsch setup... the 2.1 has digital out (my setup doesn't warrant surround sound for $100 more).
That Santa Cruz would certainly do it justice - nice kit.
Old 26th September, 2001, 06:20 AM
AOA Staff

I agree , the santa cruz kicks butt , and is a great deal!
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:09 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by surlyjoe
I agree , the santa cruz kicks butt , and is a great deal!
And if anyone else says Audigy I'll scream. What distribution channels have stock of it yet ?

My point exactly. Why dream, when the reality of the Santa Cruz is here.
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Maybe I'm just not cool or something, but I have no problems with AC97 codecs myself. The VIA two channel ones sound as well as anything two channel to come out of creative's skunkworks. And the Creative four channel codecs are darn good sounding as well! If only the creative codecs were more Linux friendly I can see on-board poly-channel audio, with optical outputs, becoming standard on every board within the next few years. We have just come to a point were "better" audio isn't possible IMHO . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2001, 10:50 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Maybe I'm just not cool or something, but I have no problems with AC97 codecs myself. The VIA two channel ones sound as well as anything two channel to come out of creative's skunkworks. And the Creative four channel codecs are darn good sounding as well! If only the creative codecs were more Linux friendly I can see on-board poly-channel audio, with optical outputs, becoming standard on every board within the next few years. We have just come to a point were "better" audio isn't possible IMHO . . . .
You will soon be complaining about AC'97 when you've got a K7 based system as the amount of RI/F about deters the quality of the sound.

With SB Live only costing $35 in OEM form, and Creative Soundworks Speakers only $75 in 5.1 form - great audio can be achieved that is certainly a lot better than AC'97.

People may think that the sattelites on the Cambridge Digital set-ups are poor, however they are absolutley amazing. The day I changed to those after using a DENON amp and speakers previously was the day that my life changed !!!!

.....or what I'm trying to say Jeff is...... A modern sound card is quite definatley discernably superior to a VT1611A linked to a 586, 686 or 8233.

As you do state though - the C-Media chipsets are quite truly remarkable, however I do have one on my P4 board and cannot say that I'm entirely over-chuffed with the sound quality when compared to SB Live.

Do not worry, I shall not be taking the proverbial out of Metallica as I know that you aren't too keen on my musical taste !! Each to their own on that particular front.

Join the revolution, make the break. (Have I convinced you?)
Old 26th September, 2001, 11:06 AM

A sound card is certainly worth considering(especial at SBlive value oem prices), when I get my new stuff, I'll see how good/bad the RI/F makes the AC'97. Who knows maybe a few ground wires on a few heatsinks will solve any RI/F problems. I know my television reseption has improved considerably since I grounded all the CPU heatsinks in my boxes . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 26th September, 2001, 11:13 AM
Pixel Slave to Satan

Unfortunatley on athlon boards this seems to go a little deeper than grounding - the RI/F travels through the tracks and crosses the 6 layers - making the problem pretty incurable.

C'mon brother, just $35 and they sometimes throw in a copy of AvP too for good measure.
Old 26th September, 2001, 11:23 AM

I can always order up a SBlive if the AC'97 is umbearable, but I figure why not give it a shot. As loud as I have the speakers turned up right now I doubt I ever hear the difference

AOA Team fah