AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th September, 2004, 11:55 AM

Artic Vga Silencer Rev. 3

I have just removed my vga silencer from my 9800 pro card in my sig system, so I could remove the shim beneath the cooler. On refitting the card I noticed that the fan appears to spinning in the opposite direction to what I would have expected when looking at the fan blades. I'm an aircraft engineer so I know a little about which way a blade is supposed to spin to create the maximum airflow. So the blades on my silencer are curved to the right, so I would expect the fan to rotate clockwise. I've tried switching the wires but it doesn't work at all if I try that. I had to mod the attachment in the first place as it only had 2 pins and my card had 3.
Has anyone had this prob? Or has anyone got any ideas as how to sort it?
8GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600
60GB OCZ Agility 3
1TB Seagate barracuda 7200
MSI 670 GTX OC
Corsair HX620
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2004, 04:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

So you're saying the fan is spinning backwards? Wow. I've not seen that happen with these type of fan motors. (See it all the time on AC motors with a capacitor start winding).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th September, 2004, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to 5|*42 Send a message via MSN to 5|*42

my friends HSF spins backwards at around 7800RPMs.
He cant wait to get a new computer.
Old 13th September, 2004, 02:05 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

that fan is supposed to spin that way....
the fan is not blowing air up or down, it's blowing to the side....this allows the curve of the blades to flow the air out the back of the case. is there air coming out the exit slot? if yes, then no worries....if no..then send it back and get a new one!
Old 10th January, 2005, 05:49 AM

Hey guys, I know I am bringing to life an old thread, but I accually have the same problem and a google search brought me here. I had a 256MB 9800 Pro, card crashed, got a new one and had it flashed to an XT B4 it came to me. Had the Rev 3 installed on the first one, worked great, installed it on the flashed one, no dice. Fan spins backwards. Though I am not sure if its because of the flash, or the model of 9800 pro I got. The first one had 16 mem chips (8/side), my new one has 8 (4/side). What card do you have Leekirlew? (assumeing you still have your card) And if you did fix your problem, what did you do? I thought I could beat the problem by getting a 9800 XT cooler, but as I understand the holes are in a different spot, and being that my board was originally a Pro, I believe I need to make this one work. Though correct me if I am wrong. Thanx in advance guys.

Vince
Old 10th January, 2005, 05:59 AM

what color is the pcb?

it will sometimes feel like the card is blowing air into the case by the nature of the fan.
Old 10th January, 2005, 06:04 AM

Hey, you're askin what color my 9800 board is? Red... And the fan is pumping it into my case, there is nothing goin out the back, its definalty backwards. On other circumstances I wouldn't be so sure, but like I said, I had a workin version on another 9800 board.
Old 10th January, 2005, 06:14 AM

sometimes the board OEM wires thier fans differently. They even mention about ASUS boards being problematic for the ATI Silencer 4...and ASUS has orange PCB's.
Old 10th January, 2005, 06:25 AM

I got the card second from the top, I had the card 3rd from the top. http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...var1=92&var2=2 I have no idea who made the one I have, I came in the box from my return, and on my comp it says its a Hercules 3D Prophet 9800 XT Classic 256MB. But if I'm not mistaken it gets that info from the bios, which was flashed and therefor means nothing as far as hardware goes. I read one review that a guy said he changed the wires and it never worked at all....but how could have my fan just started goin the other way... it has to be able to cross the wires....at least thats what I would think
Old 10th January, 2005, 07:48 AM

look at this..taken from thier site:
Quote:
We use ATIs respectively NVIDIAs standard power plugs. Asus is unfortunately not following ATIs/NVIDIAs solutions and therefore our plug doesn't fit. You can either cut both plugs and connect the wires correspondingly or you can also get 12 Volt power directly from the PSU. There you have to connect the wires as follows: black with black and red (VGA) with yellow (PSU). The yellow cable from the VGA is an RPM signal, that is not needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Artic Vga Silencer Rev. 3-fan_rotation.gif  
Old 10th January, 2005, 06:14 PM

Hey thanx cadaveca. I am at work right now but when I get home I will try switching the plug around. Appreciate the help and I will post how it goes when I get to it

Vince