AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > Graphics and Sound cards; Speakers and other Peripherals

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st September, 2004, 02:52 AM
Member/Contributer

Temporal anti aliasing

I've noticed this option is new in the cat 4.9's. I read about it in reviews for the x800's but I'm only using a 9800 so is this just an early driver glitch not hiding it (like back when nvidia enabled aa for it's geforce cards you could turn it on with tnt's but ou got a quarter screen image) or does it actually work for 9800's. I've not had a chance to test it yet but I'll have a look in the morning to see if it does or doesn't work if no one else knows

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2004, 03:23 AM
AOA Staff
Asteroids Champion, Maeda Path Champion, Disco Racer Champion, Alpha Bravo Charlie Champion, Van Champion

Send a message via MSN to Pitch

Maybe this will help

Temporal AA benches

XBL/PNS = neolad
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st September, 2004, 07:36 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

temporal AA is meant to go hand in hand with trilinear filtering. impletmented properly, this allows things that are near to the front use less AA. Unfortunately, it currently does just the opposite, unless you have a next-generation vid card.
temporal AA DOES use more gpu power perse, but it's really mem swapping that causes performance drops. as far as i can tell, the texture get rendered 3 times, instead of the twice it should be(currently it draw, then applies AA, then removes were it can, whereas it should be drawing, and then applying AA where needed).
like my explanation as for what is currently happening, it's quite obvious why performance drops. Although this is not exactly what is happening, it's pretty damn close.
trilinear filtering will offer the best performance-to-visual detailing on most cards, but temporal allows some of the jaggies to become a blur. it takes quite a bit of rendering time to make this happen, and is a new thing, so don't expect it to be perfect for a while. and remember that flogging a dead horse gets yuou nowhere, so old stuff will only go SO far...pci-e push should be changing thing quite drastically in the next 6 months
Old 21st September, 2004, 02:28 PM
Member/Contributer

I thought what TAA did was to do the equivalent of the next setting up but render half of it for each frame so if you were to see a still image it would still look like 2xAA for example but that the whole sequence would look much better

Tobias Fünke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Old 21st September, 2004, 04:33 PM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

you could be right...i just look at the render pathways.
if you download the ATI sdk, there is good write up about it, but it's kinda hazy as to what TAA exactly is. regardless, it still requires alot of cpu time for the proper textures to be rendered with/without AA, and they pass through the mem a few times. seems wasteful to me, and very easily explains the slowdowns